Help reducing screen glare?? iPad Mini

Reaction score
First time poster in this particular forum, but been into Phantoms since the original one in 2013, and been through each subsequent model change. Just recently got my P3 Pro, although my question relates to the display rather than the P3.

I'm in Florida where we have bright skies. Using an iPad Mini along with a Hoodi Vision shade. I also put a Zagg Hi Definition invisible shield on my Mini with the idea of reducing glare. Bottom line -- screen is very difficult to see, even in the shade. Perhaps it's the shield that's the culprit.

Wondering what guys are doing (or not) in order to achieve the best screen visibility. Got to say that the visibility on the screen currently is unacceptable. Can't really read anything on the screen in bright sunlight with the shield and the shade.

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Ron

I have a sun shade -- and, I find it's a little better when using it. The sun shade definitely does not eliminate the problem though. I try to stand in a shaded area when possible. That's the only fix that works every time.

I have a sun shade -- and, I find it's a little better when using it. The sun shade definitely does not eliminate the problem though. I try to stand in a shaded area when possible. That's the only fix that works every time.
I actually do video from the front set of my pickup with the AC running-- It makes a pretty nice shade:D

I am really struggling with glare as well.

So far my best solution is to use both a glare reduction screen on my iPad Mini 3 (the Body Guardz are the best I've found,but not cheap) and also a generic sun shade mounted on my controller.

With both I can get an acceptable image if I can not find any shade to sit / stand in.

I have purchased the new HDMI upgrade board and I have a set of HeadPlay HD goggles on order. I am also considering the new Fat Shark Dominator HD v2 goggles.

Goggles are a more expensive route to go, but for my interest which is FPV flight, glare is a real problem.

:harry

Reactions: bobmyers
I am waiting for hdmi port. One way to use hdmi goggles is with Apple TV to cast your iOS screen (tablet or phone) or Comcast to cast android. However need to set your phone to hot spot since both Apple TV and Comcast require wifi. I power all from my car inverter. Cumbersome some lag but works until I get my board

I'm having the same problem. I sure hope one of us can find a solution. I bought the Mini 3 specifically for use with my P3P. At this point, I would have to say that the iPad Mini 3 is not an acceptable device. I've tried the DJI Hood, the HoodiVision PadHat, and a hood I made myself. None worked. I have also tried a glare screen that did not work. I have another brand glare screen on the way. Maybe it will work better.

I'm having the same problem. I sure hope one of us can find a solution. I bought the Mini 3 specifically for use with my P3P. At this point, I would have to say that the iPad Mini 3 is not an acceptable device. I've tried the DJI Hood, the HoodiVision PadHat, and a hood I made myself. None worked. I have also tried a glare screen that did not work. I have another brand glare screen on the way. Maybe it will work better.
Anytime you are flying in direct sunlight-- there is not a screen out there that will eliminate the glare problem-- in the shade, in the vehicle, with a photographers head cloth, using goggles or head pieces are the only way to get a good display that I know off. It has been discussed over and over on this forum and to date these are the answers that have shown up.

Yeah, flying the Phantom is great fun, but I gotta admit, using the ipad mini really limits a lot of it. I find a lot of times in bright sun I'm almost flying completely blind. To me, it really is the only drawback.

Could pack one of these along every flight!

Umbrella Tent

One of those umbrella hats might be of use too if you don't mind looking like a dork!

Yeah, flying the Phantom is great fun, but I gotta admit, using the ipad mini really limits a lot of it. I find a lot of times in bright sun I'm almost flying completely blind. To me, it really is the only drawback.

Could pack one of these along every flight!

Umbrella Tent

One of those umbrella hats might be of use too if you don't mind looking like a dork!
That tent is pretty neat-- might order one:D

I just installed a DayVue screen protector from NuShield. Huge improvement, even in bright sun light. (I'm using an iPad Mini 3)

a Towel works nicely

Yeah, like those black curtain the early photographers shrouded themselves with.haha.
Sitting in a park with a towel over your end manipulating something is going to help perpetuate the myth that we are
spying on folk.lol.oh well never mind.....one day we will be seen as early adopters of the machine that changed the world.

I just installed a DayVue screen protector from NuShield. Huge improvement, even in bright sun light. (I'm using an iPad Mini 3)
Just ordered on-- I have one on now-- but it kills the picture and shows all the scratches.

Yeah, like those black curtain the early photographers shrouded themselves with.haha.
Sitting in a park with a towel over your end manipulating something is going to help perpetuate the myth that we are
spying on folk.lol.oh well never mind.....one day we will be seen as early adopters of the machine that changed the world.
I use one of these also-- they are actually the best in bright sun if it is not to hot outside.

antireflective screen protector works best.
I won't say it's the best. But they certainly do help. I have one on my iPad & use a sunshade with it. When the sun is behind me I'll lower my controller a bit & try blocking the sun with my body. Seems to work very well for me.

antireflective screen protector works best.
I think you need both standing in the direct sunlight-- I see these guys flying with sunshades on and not screen hood in the bright sunshine and scratch by head. I cant see it without sunglasses :D:D:D-- put the sunglasses on and I see nothing "old eyes"

I think you need both standing in the direct sunlight-- I see these guys flying with sunshades on and not screen hood in the bright sunshine and scratch by head. I cant see it without sunglasses :D:D:D-- put the sunglasses on and I see nothing "old eyes"
Right. Sunglasses seem to make it much worse for me too. Even using the polorized ones haven't helped me at all. Unlike some who've claimed they help. Really?

Reactions: bobmyers
Well this is a very good, and very cheap ... possibly FREE, sun hood.
I was casting around for a solution and then remembered this cable bag that came with the Corsair power supply for my new PC build. (my power brick - Corsair HX1000i)
All the cables were in this black flexible plastic infused cloth bag.
Threw out the extra cables and yes, the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, 8 inch, fitted in just perfectly.
Like is was actually made for it.
I just cut holes for the power switch, speakers and USB cable.
Added benefit is that it is flexible, easily stored and in very bright sun you can fold the sides in even more to cut reflections.
I think the Tab S2 has the exact dimensions to the Mini 2 and 3 .. so they should also fit???
If you have a friendly PC build shop, they may have these 'hoods' just lying around.
Hood_1.jpg
Hood_2.jpg

Last edited:
Never thought of that.. I have the exact same bag from my new PC build! How did you stop the sides from collapsing?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj