Help: ready to send the P4 back...

Reaction score
The Phantom 4 firmware update problems. I've spent many hours trying many tips in this forum:

- DJI Go for iOS (v 2.8.3): it downloaded the firmware, but when I connect the cable from the iPhone to the P4, nothing happens and it keeps asking me to connect the two devices.

After trying many solutions on this forum, I still can't upgrade the firmware on the P4.
I've tried Assistant 2.0 (on a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air). It can see the P4 and lists the latest firmware that I can download, but I'm getting "update failed" messages over and over.

When I use , I downloaded the firmware in-app, then connected my iPhone 5S via lighting cable plus the OTG/micro-USB cable. It doesn't see the P4. I've tried an iPad and different lightning cables to no avail. The light above the micro-USB slot on the P4 just blinks orange.

I also downgraded the RC firmware to 1.5.8, but that hasn't helped, either.

Is there anything else I can try before sending the P4 back?

The only thing left is to try another OTG cable, which I've ordered from Amazon (arrives Monday).

I would appreciate any help or advice. I just found out that I can't return it to Adorama but would need to go through DJI. Hoping to find a solution so that I don't have to do that.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
The Phantom 4 firmware update problems. I've spent many hours trying many tips in this forum:

- DJI Go for iOS (v 2.8.3): it downloaded the firmware, but when I connect the cable from the iPhone to the P4, nothing happens and it keeps asking me to connect the two devices.

After trying many solutions on this forum, I still can't upgrade the firmware on the P4.
I've tried Assistant 2.0 (on a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air). It can see the P4 and lists the latest firmware that I can download, but I'm getting "update failed" messages over and over.

When I use , I downloaded the firmware in-app, then connected my iPhone 5S via lighting cable plus the OTG/micro-USB cable. It doesn't see the P4. I've tried an iPad and different lightning cables to no avail. The light above the micro-USB slot on the P4 just blinks orange.

I also downgraded the RC firmware to 1.5.8, but that hasn't helped, either.

Is there anything else I can try before sending the P4 back?

The only thing left is to try another OTG cable, which I've ordered from Amazon (arrives Monday).

I would appreciate any help or advice. I just found out that I can't return it to Adorama but would need to go through DJI. Hoping to find a solution so that I don't have to do that.

Thanks,
Chris

I also ran into Upgrade Failed error messages when trying to either downgrade or refresh the firmware on a P4 with my Mac using Assistant 2. Try opening a trouble ticket with DJI. They suggested a solution to me but it came too late--I'd already returned my P4--and I didn't read it, really. I think it might have suggested turning the P4 off and back on again but I'm not sure.

DJI also has a chat interface for support.

Reactions: ChrisR
Hi Chris,

It has been advised that we should carry on with the FW upgrade through the Go App, while having a device running the Go App that has been listed in DJI's recommended device. I've used my 5s before for a flight and I experienced the blurred video feed, but I haven't tried to do an FW upgrade using it. I asked around and found out that the 5s is not recommended.

Sorry, which iPad version that you tried with? And yes the OTG cable might be the culprit, but you can always check it by sticking in a usb flash drive or card reader to an android device with the OTG cable and see if the android reads the flash disk/card reader.

Hope things will work out before you send the bird out.

Best wishes folks!

I also ran into Upgrade Failed error messages when trying to either downgrade or refresh the firmware on a P4 with my Mac using Assistant 2. Try opening a trouble ticket with DJI. They suggested a solution to me but it came too late--I'd already returned my P4--and I didn't read it, really. I think it might have suggested turning the P4 off and back on again but I'm not sure.

DJI also has a chat interface for support.

Thanks Russ! Solved with help from DJI tech support.
Solution: This video on how to properly install the Assistant software:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The fail is that DJI doesn't include a read me file, so I had no idea there was a specific order.

Hi Chris,

It has been advised that we should carry on with the FW upgrade through the Go App, while having a device running the Go App that has been listed in DJI's recommended device. I've used my 5s before for a flight and I experienced the blurred video feed, but I haven't tried to do an FW upgrade using it. I asked around and found out that the 5s is not recommended.

Sorry, which iPad version that you tried with? And yes the OTG cable might be the culprit, but you can always check it by sticking in a usb flash drive or card reader to an android device with the OTG cable and see if the android reads the flash disk/card reader.

Hope things will work out before you send the bird out.

Best wishes folks!

Thanks Has! Solved with help from DJI tech support.
Solution: This video on how to properly install the Assistant software:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The fail is that DJI doesn't include a read me file, so I had no idea there was a specific order.

Glad to hear all sorted out for you Chris!

Hi Chris R. Had exactly the same issue, now resolved. I Presume you have already downloaded firmware.
1) connect iPad to controller, let controller connect to drone.
2) app will tell you to update firmware.
3) disconnect iPad from controller, connect directly to drone
4) in the GO APP, the done will show as connected after a short delay. Then the firmware upgrade button will appear. Takes about 10 mins

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Chris R. Had exactly the same issue, now resolved. I Presume you have already downloaded firmware.
1) connect iPad to controller, let controller connect to drone.
2) app will tell you to update firmware.
3) disconnect iPad from controller, connect directly to drone
4) in the GO APP, the done will show as connected after a short delay. Then the firmware upgrade button will appear. Takes about 10 mins

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks Jon. The iPhone wasn't seeing the drone when connected plus the Mac Assistant app kept giving me errors so I was unable to update the firmware. Thankfully DJI sent me a link to a video that showed the proper way to install the Mac Assistant app. Sadly there are no instructions when you download the app, so I wasted a lot of time going in circles. All fixed now and I'm enjoying the P4. Glad you got your problem resolved as well!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.