Help please Limp Gimbal/Camera

Reaction score
Power on my P3P, camera does its warm up routine, 5 -10 seconds later the gimbal does a little "tourettes" syndrome jerk and then a few seconds later goes limp. Signal loss on the app appears.
Have tried rebooting the equipment and that did work on a couple of occasions but the problem has been getting progressively worse to the point now where gimbal stays limp.
App 2.8.1
Firmware 1.9.6
RC 1.6.0
Any thoughts

Power on my P3P, camera does its warm up routine, 5 -10 seconds later the gimbal does a little "tourettes" syndrome jerk and then a few seconds later goes limp. Signal loss on the app appears.
Have tried rebooting the equipment and that did work on a couple of occasions but the problem has been getting progressively worse to the point now where gimbal stays limp.
Try a different SD card (or even no card)
That fixes one condition where the camera appears to be dead.

Try a different SD card (or even no card)
That fixes one condition where the camera appears to be dead.
Tried that, to no avail. thanks for the reply.
Have had a look on the forum before I posted and have tried most of the recommended attempts to fix but nothing working so far.

Long shot: What about a cold IMU calibration, followed by a gimbal calibration?
How old is the P3P? If it's still under its warranty period, I suggest sending it back for repair, or if quite new, return it, for an exchange.

RedHotPoker

Watching this. I have the same issue only with a P3P that I bought off ebay as a project. Replaced gimbal yaw arm, gimbal ribbon cable and checked all gimbal connections. I just received the DJI Part 42 Cable Set today and will open up and check all the cables and replace the camera cable that goes to the board. It looked ok when I swapped everything to the new shell but maybe there is damage somewhere. Also tried deleting and reinstalling DJI Go, re link R/C, tried a totally different R/C, IMU cal, gimbal cal and also disabling hardware acceleration. Seems to be a big issue with 1.9.6 FW.

Interestingly, I am able to tilt the camera up/down after initializing for a few seconds until it goes limp.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sounds like it's losing power in or to the gimbal motor.

RedHotPoker

I also noticed the fan on the camera board isn't working. Not sure if related or if maybe it's disconnected. Will check that too. Just have to get the time.

Something is Definately not connected correctly, by the sound of it.
Or lack of sound, actually. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: whatmot
Something is Definately not connected correctly, by the sound of it.
Or lack of sound, actually. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yeah I'm hoping just a loose cable but I have new ones ready. After the complete disassembly of the P3 and gimbal I am just tired of it right now. Lol. Will open up the shell tonight or tomorrow.

Watching this. I have the same issue only with a P3P that I bought off ebay as a project. Replaced gimbal yaw arm, gimbal ribbon cable and checked all gimbal connections. I just received the DJI Part 42 Cable Set today and will open up and check all the cables and replace the camera cable that goes to the board. It looked ok when I swapped everything to the new shell but maybe there is damage somewhere. Also tried deleting and reinstalling DJI Go, re link R/C, tried a totally different R/C, IMU cal, gimbal cal and also disabling hardware acceleration. Seems to be a big issue with 1.9.6 FW.

Interestingly, I am able to tilt the camera up/down after initializing for a few seconds until it goes limp.

I'm having the exact same issue down to being able to control the camera... only I did the opposite in terms of where I started... I've replaced the 2 gray cables from the phantom to the camera with no change. I was planning on ordering the ribbon cable today... I am unable to update firmware though. I think mine is 1.7.6 or something like that instead of 1.9...

Anyone have any leads?

I'm having the exact same issue down to being able to control the camera... only I did the opposite in terms of where I started... I've replaced the 2 gray cables from the phantom to the camera with no change. I was planning on ordering the ribbon cable today... I am unable to update firmware though. I think mine is 1.7.6 or something like that instead of 1.9...

Anyone have any leads?

I'm hoping mine isn't due to a cheap knock off ribbon cable. I ordered from DJI on Amazon but it came in an electrostatic bag and not the typical DJI cardboard top stapled to the bag. It looks very similar. But if it's a cheap cable I'm going to be pissed.

I'm hoping mine isn't due to a cheap knock off ribbon cable. I ordered from DJI on Amazon but it came in an electrostatic bag and not the typical DJI cardboard top stapled to the bag. It looks very similar. But if it's a cheap cable I'm going to be pissed.

Oh man. That could do it - I've heard of people having this issue when using a non-DJI cable, but it wicked it with an OEM replacement from DJI. I was about to order via Amazon but maybe I'll throw DJI a call.

I've been debating on sending it to DJI. I've pulled this guy apart mama few times to get it going and nothing I've replaced is getting this thing working. I just don't want to wait to get it back. I wanna fly!

Oh man. That could do it - I've heard of people having this issue when using a non-DJI cable, but it wicked it with an OEM replacement from DJI. I was about to order via Amazon but maybe I'll throw DJI a call.

I've been debating on sending it to DJI. I've pulled this guy apart mama few times to get it going and nothing I've replaced is getting this thing working. I just don't want to wait to get it back. I wanna fly!

Yeah I don't buy anything non DJI, I'm not that cheap. That's why I made sure that the item was sold by DJI on Amazon but when I saw the bag didn't have the top cardboard stapled I became suspicious. We'll see...

Yeah I don't buy anything non DJI, I'm not that cheap. That's why I made sure that the item was sold by DJI on Amazon but when I saw the bag didn't have the top cardboard stapled I became suspicious. We'll see...

Ditto. Let us know! I'll post if I find anything as well.

I don't think a USB cable or other type, can possibly be proprietary.
High end fiber optic cables perhaps. I buy my USB iPad cables at Apple and they always work. Perhaps it has to do more with quality, or the actual lack of it, in these inferior cabling issues. I do like the fancy kind with the braided finish or cloth, opposed to the regular plastic exterior that are common. But Apple has not let me down.
Obviously, using DJI OEM ribbon cables designed for the
Phantom by DJI makes total sense to me.

RedHotPoker

Long shot: What about a cold IMU calibration, followed by a gimbal calibration?
How old is the P3P? If it's still under its warranty period, I suggest sending it back for repair, or if quite new, return it, for an exchange.

RedHotPoker
Definitely leaning towards sending it back. Its less than a year old. Hoping warranty still covers it. Thanks for input.

Call their tech support and get a shipping sticker sent out.
You may have a service centre fairly near to you, reducing down time, significantly, so look it up. ;-)
Eh, it might be a seasonal rush thing too, others willing to let it go for a couple to three weeks for new shell replacement or other stuff...

RedHotPoker

I've just bought a gimbal anti vibration board and a cable pack direct from the dji shop on the app, both came in those silvery packets without any dji branding or cardboard tops, they appear to come from somewhere in surrey, I've ordered many props the same way, don't recall where they shipped from but they've always come with cardboard stapled over a plastic bag

Strange!

Call their tech support and get a shipping sticker sent out.
You may have a service centre fairly near to you, reducing down time, significantly, so look it up. ;-)
Eh, it might be a seasonal rush thing too, others willing to let it go for a couple to three weeks for new shell replacement or other stuff...

RedHotPoker
Cheers. Good old Murphy's law came into play as this happened day after I get a job.

Sucks big time, but you have no control over or under the universe.

A backup unit would have come in very handy. ;-)
Buy one, and return it, gently used!! Ha

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31