HELP! Phantom 3 adv firmware update not working!!!

Reaction score
We have been trying for several days to update the firmware on our new Phantom 3 Advanced to 1.9.60 with no success. Downloaded BIN file to SD card. Have tried different SD cards and reformatted SD cards. Have downloaded using Mac and Windows. Spoke with DJI tech support and they were not able to help. Not sure where to go from here. Anyone had similar problems with the firmware updates?

Thanks. We have tried everything in these instructions. We know the gimbal can read the card because we tried installing one version back,1.8.80, but it aborted because it said that firmware was already on the Phantom. I think we will box it up and send it back very frustrating.

What happens when you attempt to install version 1.9.6?

If you would provide more details of what's happening, I'm sure the forum community would find a solution without you needing to send it in to DJI.

No text file generated.
That means your Phantom is not able to find the BIN file on the memory card. That's usually caused by one of the following:
  • The BIN is not in the root of the memory card
  • The BIN for a different Phantom model is in the root of the memory card
  • The BIN file does not have the proper filename (the name should match what you see inside the ZIP file)

Reactions: Kima kim
Have you tried to revert to version 1.07.0060? I believe you can find in the help Archeives. I had to revert, first, then reinstall 1.8.80 for mine to work with my Tx on 1.6.0 firmware.
Just a thought.
Also how are you writing the BIN FILE to your card? Card reader, adaptor, or USB cable to gimbal?
If card reader or adaptor, try a different one ( I find adaptors and card readers fail a LOT ), you might try USB cable directly to gimbal, copy Bin file ( once extracted from zip form ) directly from PC to card in gimbal, turn phantom off and back on to see if update or reversion works?
I'm no expert, but I went through this recently, and your problem sounds extremely familiar! Hope this helps.

J Dot
:cool:

We got it to update! Took 3 computers and 3 SD cards. Thanks for your help everyone. We will definitely visit this forum frequently.

Reactions: Kima kim and J Dot
I've resisted the jump to 1.9.6 because of issues here and the DJI forums. 1.8.8 has been solid for me. Any issues with GEO or flight distance? I know I can back down to 1.8.8.

I am on 1.9.6 and it actually improved my range on my P3A. I fly in london, england and it flies quite far. About almost a mile before I lose signal in a built up area

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

What finally got it to work?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using PhantomPilots mobile app
Not really sure other than the third computer we used to transfer the file was newer. We first tried on an older Mac where we were using a card reader to transfer to the SD card, then on an older PC using the internal card reader, and eventually my PC from work using its internal card reader. We tried several different SD cards, formatted each of them, even tried the USB directly from computer to SD in device on the Mac. The newer PC worked like a charm. Still need to update the RC though.

For hard reste, just need to ha e the bin file on the root of the sd card, nothing else on the card, then you need to press the buttom on the small hole on the rightside of the vps, you hold it and turn on the quad, when you hear the last noise of the booting you release the buttom.

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app

That button is for linking the controller, there is no "hard reset", as far as I know.
That same "link" button has been shown to allow you to force the re-installation of a FW version. For example, if you had 1.8 already and wanted to reinstall 1.8 for some reason without getting the message, "The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft."

I have never heard it called a "hard reset" however.

A few people have posted videos about it. Here is one for example.
P3 Pro - Beep from Hell !!!

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj