help needed please

Reaction score
good evening all,
I have to admit I only registered here because I'm looking for some proper advice. I'm planning to buy Phantom 2 ver.3 for my boyfriend's birthday but to be honest- I don't know anything about drones. All I managed to do was narrow down my search and decided to go with the latest version of phantom 2. And now I have a few questions:
- we're planning to buy go pro hero 4 soon- will the senmuse gimbal be compatible with the 4 version?
- I quite like the 'live view' option- do I have to pay extra for it?
- my boyfriend has an Android phone- will it be compatible as I've only seen the live view option with iPhones?
- is there anything else that you recommend buying that is really useful?
- and last but not least- can you recommend a reliable and helpful UK store that sells these online?
Thank you and I'm sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong cathegory.

Welcome to the forum.

The P2 with GoPro and zenmuse cannot give you live view on a smartphone or tablet only with some more gear, a FPV setup including a video transmitter for the Phantom, a combined monitor and receiver and a good set of antennas at both ends. It means a bit more cash if you want to go down this route. Generally the P2 is more flexable and with a GP4 is better video and more sturdy gimbal while the P2 Vision+ is ready to fly with all you need except the smartphone or tablet. Overall the P2 route is more expensive. Check it out on dji.com to see the differences. There are plenty of online dealers...Quadcopters.co.uk, droneshack.co.uk, etc. Im sure others will chime in too.

I have both.
I purchased the vision+ first thinking it would the "complete package". The video let me down.
if you are planning to get the GoPro, take the P2 avenue as video quality trumps on the vision plus. The vision plus video is equivalent of a GoPro 2.

Even though the P2+Gopro path seems more expensive at first, you should take a few things into consideration..
The vision+ is on the proprietary end. It's all in one solution means that you at DJI's mercy when something goes wrong.
If the camera/gimbal/wifi module dies, you have no options but DJI. Not only that, but if 1 subsystem fails, the entire phantom is rather useless. Eg, A $30 camera flex cable breaks, you might be looking at $700-800 for a new camera/gimbal replacement.

The price of build P2 with FPV gear excluding gopro is about the same as the Vision+. In saying that, you need to deduct the value of the GoPro in the P2 build as it can be used for a multitude of things. The $800 vision + camera/gimbal has only 1 purpose - aerial.

The mainstream setup is very simple if you have a FPV hub. It solderless and plug and play.
Mainstream setup is:
P2 and H3-3D
AVL58 Transmitter
Flysight Black Pearl self powered 32 ch receiver display.
Mini IOSD for telemetry.
DJI clover leaf antennas.

The only downside in the P2 build is the 2 way coms. You can only get downlink info from the P2 (unless you have BTU). To be honest, you aren't missing out much with the 2 way. Most of it is gimmicky. Eg Auto Pilot/Ground station - It's pointless because you cant pan the camera whilst autopilot is active.

Thank you very much for help gentlemen!
I think I will go with the phantom 2 and a zenmuse gimbal. Will then invest some money in the transmitter and other necessary bits to go with it to enjoy the live view option.
Now I'm going to do some searching on a UK retailer but at least I know what I definitely want :)
Once again- thank you for your help. If I ever get a chance to play with the drone I will know where to look for tips.

Contrarian view. Unless your BF IS handy and likes to dabble... Go with the newer version 3 with built in camera. Not the greatest quality but MUCH less hassle out of the box

teesea said:
Thank you very much for help gentlemen!
I think I will go with the phantom 2 and a zenmuse gimbal. Will then invest some money in the transmitter and other necessary bits to go with it to enjoy the live view option.
Now I'm going to do some searching on a UK retailer but at least I know what I definitely want :)
Once again- thank you for your help. If I ever get a chance to play with the drone I will know where to look for tips.
Good choice you want the 2.0 it is the newest version .
This guy is in the UK he got some responses on where to buy
GL!
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31059

If you're getting it as a present and want it to "fly out of the box", There are plenty of UK places that sell assembled Phantom 2 with gimbal, First Person View etc already set up. Probably be an extra £50. I recon all in you'll be looking at £1k. Then you need your Gopro.

If that's what you want to spend then I think its the best route. Remember you then have the Gopro you can take off and go underwater etc etc. I have gone this route and it is great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj