Help me, Phantom 1 Camera choices an BADASS setups

Reaction score
Hello!
First post, first time on phantom pilots, hope i can get some help with my questions...
So my gf bought me this DJI phantom, no camera came with it, it has the green yellow red light with the little grey phantom battery.
i believe its a phantom 1 but i dont get it,
it flies awesome and think its the coolest thing ever!
What i want to do is use a GoPro hero4 with a gimble setup, then some how fly first person with my iphone 6 as my first person viewer. Now ive heard the reception is not so good so im kinda skeptical. I wanna film wakeboarding while in a boat driving at 24mph over water, and make videos for my earth work construction business.
The Phantom came with a white fixed mount for a gopro attachment, and there are some wires hanging down that im not sure attach. I have the GPS? cable hooked to the landing gear, its the only thing thats connected, then i have 2 grey wires hanging on one leg and another across on the other, and a grey red combined wire.
will a gimble hook up to this thing? do they have better landing gears? maybe ones that will help it float on water, or something, what batteries to add, maybe a case? Can i use my iPhone 6 as my first person viewer? blade sizes? blade gaurds, help me set mine up correctly, i dont have alot of money and have some pretty cool ideas what i can do with this thing,
thankyou for your time reading this and getting back to me.
cheers

Welcome,

I saw your 2nd post before seeing this one.

Yep, it's very cool and you can do everything you mentioned. It's a learning process.
I hope you're younger than me because it does sounds like you want to do it all tomorrow.

Don't mess with the leg wires. They are antennas and a compass. Fiddle with those and you're screwed.

Look in the FC40 section for additional info. It's the same bird (almost) but, came with a camera. :D

Have fun

:lol: I take no responsibility for this post being correct. My X-WIFE told me I was wrong, so that must be how it is. :lol:

+1 to everything that IflyinWY has said. Your antennas and compass wires are not to be messed with ;)

As for the red and grey wires they are your AUX power cables. Used for powering accessories such as a gimbal or fpv set up.

Are you new to the RC hobby? Do you know how to solder? This is fairly key to doing things yourself to your quad. For the time being I will assume you don't and will be looking for a very simple set up (like I was to begin with). As for gimbals I opted for the walkera g-2D gimbal as it is super easy to set up as it only needs to be hooked into a power source (your aux lead) and connected to the X2 port on the naza if you want tilt control.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/20112094 ... 0&ff14=108

Now for your fpv. If you are looking to use a go pro under no circumstances use the wifi from your go pro while its attached to your phantom, as it uses a very similar signal to your transmitter which will wash it out causing either erratic flight followed very quickly by a crash, or a fly away where your phantom and you go pro 4 will fly off into the distance (not great I'm sure you will agree ;) ) There are still two ways around this though so don't worry!

The first option you have if you want to retain viewing fpv on your phone is to use the new blade camera which is essentially a go pro clone which streams via a different frequency wifi to your phone. This will be very simple to set up and will still get you good recordings and will fit in the walkera gimbal with no more wiring required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Flite-EFLA9 ... 4897.l4275

The next step is to go for a full blown fpv set up which will require a dedicated monitor or goggles and a video transmitter on board your phantom. The major drawback to this is that it will not stream to your phone. If you are interested in this let me know and I will point you in the right direction :) But it will cost significantly more than the previous camera (all in starting from £150 or $200 roughly for cheap stuff)

As for floating landing gear check this post out.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27099

Actually posted by IflyinWY! Fun idea, well implemented. However it will reduce flight times.

Battery wise I use Overlander 2900mah batteries and get 10 mins with my very overweight set up! With just a gimbal and the eflite camera you should be looking at a good 15 mins although this is affected by how you fly.

For cases just google phantom flight case and take your pick! There are loads out there for different prices, even phantom back packs!

For prop guards, unless you are unsure about your ability to fly they are just dead weight and reduce efficiency. But if you do want to use them use the official DJI ones.

Finally as for propellers, do you have the self tightening ones? Or are they the old style nutted ones? If you have self tightening ones use the dji 9450 props. These will increase efficiency and reduce the risk of VRS (vortex ring state)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state (worth a read)

If you have the old nutted style I'm afraid I'm unable to help you on that. As I use self tightening ones, hopefully someone will jump in and help out who has more experience in this!

Sorry for the essay ;) there was a lot to cover! If I have missed anything let me know!

Have fun :)

Does anyone know on the walkera gimbal there is a spot on the controller that u can plug something into it nxt to roll and pitch that says aux what is it for

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic