Help me calculate the height required

Zzz

Reaction score
Please help me figure out how high one would have to fly a P4P to capture an area of 580m × 500m @ 4K, looking straight down?

PS: If I'm not mistaken, given the 4K resolutions 16 × 9 proportions, the area one would have to capture would actually have to be 900m wide in order to fit the "height" of 500m.

Thanks!

Draw a triangle with one side on the ground and the length needed. The draw two line beginning at the endpoints of the baseline (point A and point B) and connecting to a point above (point C) and centered along the baseline. You now have two right triangles and you know the ground length will be half the total line length. You also know that the angle at the top will be one half the FOV of the lens and the lenses FOV is 84 degrees. Assuming a maximum length needed of 580m the height would need to be 322m -- way above the allowable height in most places. If the vertical height needs to be a min of 500m then the baseline will be much greater and so will you height.

Brian

Reactions: Zzz
Please help me figure out how high one would have to fly a P4P to capture an area of 580m × 500m @ 4K, looking straight down?

PS: If I'm not mistaken, given the 4K resolutions 16 × 9 proportions, the area one would have to capture would actually have to be 900m wide in order to fit the "height" of 500m.

Thanks!

For this area, I assume you are after a picture rather than video? If so, a app like DroneDeploy will help you both construct a grid and then flying that grid to get the necessary pictures which can then be merged together afterwards (you can even get a nice 3d model of the whole area).

Unfortunately, they are also waiting for the new api at the moment (so not yet availible for p4p, but hopefully soon).

(sample 3d map I captured at 70 meters with a P4; this is about 300x300 meters area: 1475683496_TOMASINSPIRE by DroneDeploy - 3D model)

Last edited:

Thanks!

I don't own a P4P, but looking at the specs and considering a 24 mm lens (35 mm format equivalent), it should be:

> 3:2 Aspect Ratio @ 500m AGL = 750 x 500 m Area

> 16:9 Aspect Ratio @ 592m AGL = 888 x 500 m Area

Let us know in case you test it and it is correct.

Thanks guys! Is there an online calculator that can calculate this on the fly by any chance? Raptorman's instructions make me dizzy just thinking about it lmao ;) Appreciate it though...

I don't own a P4P, but looking at the specs and considering a 24 mm lens (35 mm format equivalent), it should be:

> 3:2 Aspect Ratio @ 500m AGL = 750 x 500 m Area

> 16:9 Aspect Ratio @ 592m AGL = 888 x 500 m Area

Let us know in case you test it and it is correct.
Thanks! That seems extremely high though... almost meter for meter?

For this area, I assume you are after a picture rather than video? If so, a app like DroneDeploy will help you both construct a grid and then flying that grid to get the necessary pictures which can then be merged together afterwards (you can even get a nice 3d model of the whole area).

Unfortunately, they are also waiting for the new api at the moment (so not yet availible for p4p, but hopefully soon).

(sample 3d map I captured at 70 meters with a P4; this is about 300x300 meters area: 1475683496_TOMASINSPIRE by DroneDeploy - 3D model)
I was hoping both! But you are correct, if the height requirement prevents me from getting a nice video of the area, at least I can stitch together a nice automated panorama photo... What other apps besides DroneDeploy are good for that?

I was hoping both! But you are correct, if the height requirement prevents me from getting a nice video of the area, at least I can stitch together a nice automated panorama photo... What other apps besides DroneDeploy are good for that?
DroneDeploy is the only one I have seen that fully automates the planning and capture (once suppported), however there are several cloud and desktop apps for the post processing. As dronedeploy is free, I would start there.

Thanks! That seems extremely high though... almost meter for meter?

Right, for such camera you could roughly use (for 16:9):

Flight Height = Terrain Vert Dimension x 1.185 or

Terrain Vert Dimension = Flight Height / 1.185

Terrain Horiz Dimension = Terrain Vert Dimension x 1.778

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik