Help Me By telling me tips for stabilizing video

1st choose a nice calm day if possible.
2nd make sure you have more than 6 satellites talking to your Phantom if you are flying in GPS mode.
3rd Practice a lot before your shooting day. I mean a LOT!!!
If you can make slow and smooth moves it will look like a crane shot and not like a roller coaster or a kite in the wind.
Finally, be carefully! Shooting a wedding with something that can lop off fingers and make the bride send her muscle-head brothers after you with baseball bats for ruining her special day would not be good.

When passing people, make sure you fly above their head.. don't follow this example:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqB6_y71xE[/youtube]

Buy a gimbal. Seriously. I wasted months of my time and plenty of money. It is impossible to get the smooth videos you want without a gimbal.

I'll second atti mode. It will level the horizon, but it will drift with wind. Be really careful not to concentrate on the filming so much that you forget the piloting, and vice versa.

But yeah, when it comes down to it, the only way you'll get actually stable footage from the Vision is to get one of the third-party gimbals that are/about to be available. If you are running a business then it's probably a sound investment (as well as deductible!)

I agree flying in ATTI mode would be better...IF, you are not flying alone and it is a windy day. I assumed (which make an '*** out of U and ME) you were flying alone,, so flying in ATTI mode and dealing with the wind, and your subject will stretch your abilities a bit. So get a spotter who also knows how to pilot, as well, if possible. If not, wait for the calm day and shoot in GPS. I have had great sucess on very calm days using GPS, of course I'm using a gimble which cost more than my Phantom. You seem to be a photographer, so you know the glass is more important than the camera body. Similar rules aply here.

Your "great sucess {sic}" on calm days would have been even "greater" flying in ATTI.

Regardless of wheter you had a spotter (weird requirement) or not.

CunningStuntFlyer, perhaps you should have read the original post. It's obvious this quetion was not asked by a seasoned professional as yourself. Yes, by all means don't use GPS unless... you're new-- and by reading the original post that seems self evident. And yes, I have had great sucess.. meaning dollars in my pocket. As for a spotter, I worked on a Volvo commercial last year in Taiwan and it took 3. One to operater the Freefly CineStar8 one to operate the Red Epic camera and one contantly check wind condtitions. ( I was the camera operator, but I can fly too ), The Phantom is a good little RTF quadcoppter, but it has it's limits. Not too many people making serious money with it, but some do and more probably will. I'm a camera man first and a flyer second. So, if you say ATTI and you're, a Flyer, you must be right.

In addition to a good 2 axis (or 3 axis) gimbal - (I am just finishing the installation of my DroneXpert and 7th channel lever tilt control) you will probably benefit from using the Warp Stabilizer in Adobe After Effects.

and some lens correction in PS or AE is also recommended.

No requirement whatsoever. However, if you're new to piloting and new to aerial videography and haven't quite mastered the "eyes on the aircraft - eyes on the video monitor - eyes on the aircraft" visual scan then it's probably very reassuring to have someone tell you when you need to flick back to GPS mode as you're approaching that big tree that's downwind of you whilst concentrating on getting great shots of the happy couple...

Pull_Up said:
No requirement whatsoever. However, if you're new to piloting and new to aerial videography and haven't quite mastered the "eyes on the aircraft - eyes on the video monitor - eyes on the aircraft" visual scan then it's probably very reassuring to have someone tell you when you need to flick back to GPS mode as you're approaching that big tree that's downwind of you whilst concentrating on getting great shots of the happy couple...

Shoulda had a spotter... :shock:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqB6_y71xE[/youtube]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20