HELP!!! Lost an arm!

Reaction score
So I crashed yesterday. Not the first time, surely not the last, but this time my casualties were more severe. I got a little too close to the trees (a common denominator in all of my crashes), and by the time I went to gather the pieces, the camera and battery were both separated from the P2V. The battery connections were "mashed in" to the housing and while I can get a charger on it and it seems to charge, there's no way it will connect to the P2V. There goes my free extra battery, no bother I have a spare.

So i get my prop guards (ya think?), and DJI factory replacement props in the mail today. Get everything put together before the sun sets, and go to start up and notice that one of my LEDs isn't blinking, the port side rear to be exact and nautical. Then I start the motors and its a no go on that arm. So...no blinky , no spinny. What do you guys think and where should I start? Oh and I wasn't rolling during the crash, actually trying to get some photos of the neighbors' house (they winter in FL), to send them. This was the last photo on the card--pretty sure what I hit.

Attachments

• DJI00029E.jpg
    DJI00029E.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 690
jimdenburg said:
So I crashed yesterday. Not the first time, surely not the last, but this time my casualties were more severe. I got a little too close to the trees (a common denominator in all of my crashes), and by the time I went to gather the pieces, the camera and battery were both separated from the P2V. The battery connections were "mashed in" to the housing and while I can get a charger on it and it seems to charge, there's no way it will connect to the P2V. There goes my free extra battery, no bother I have a spare.

So i get my prop guards (ya think?), and DJI factory replacement props in the mail today. Get everything put together before the sun sets, and go to start up and notice that one of my LEDs isn't blinking, the port side rear to be exact and nautical. Then I start the motors and its a no go on that arm. So...no blinky , no spinny. What do you guys think and where should I start? Oh and I wasn't rolling during the crash, actually trying to get some photos of the neighbors' house (they winter in FL), to send them. This was the last photo on the card--pretty sure what I hit.

that's an easy one esc board broke (personal experience 19.00 dronefly)
get 2 when you order there nice to have on hand easy change out and im not that great of a solderer

Thank you sir! I've been wanting to change out my shell anyway as it has some damage from a previous crash(es). Might as well try that at the same time. Time to get it ordered so I have it by the weekend! Thanks again...Love this site!

Easy way to avoid user error crashes = always fly above everything. You can still get a nice shot of whatever it is you need even from a slightly higher altitude. Don't ever fly near any objects or obstacles unless you are above them or you are keenly aware of how close you are to something as well as how to control your Phantom with reversed or sideways controls do to perspective.

BenDronePilot said:
Easy way to avoid user error crashes = always fly above everything. You can still get a nice shot of whatever it is you need even from a slightly higher altitude. Don't ever fly near any objects or obstacles unless you are above them or you are keenly aware of how close you are to something as well as how to control your Phantom with reversed or sideways controls do to perspective.

I thought I was flying above everything. Indeed I still believe that I was flying above most everything, but in hindsight clearly not everything.

Update...after being grounded for over a month, I finally popped the top on the Jimdenburg to find that my issue was not a bad esc or motor, turns out the leads connecting the esc to the main board separated from their contact points (see this for pics).

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12956

So now I wonder if the crash caused this to happen or if the contacts became disconnected while in flight, which would have caused the crash? Whatever the case, I am very happy to be off the ground again (even though I did lose a battery in the crash:(

jimdenburg said:
Update...after being grounded for over a month, I finally popped the top on the Jimdenburg to find that my issue was not a bad esc or motor, turns out the leads connecting the esc to the main board separated from their contact points (see this for pics).

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12956

So now I wonder if the crash caused this to happen or if the contacts became disconnected while in flight, which would have caused the crash? Whatever the case, I am very happy to be off the ground again (even though I did lose a battery in the crash:(

That looks like it might have been a cold solder joint. To see the entire blob disconnected from the board is a pretty scary sight.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
That looks like it might have been a cold solder joint. To see the entire blob disconnected from the board is a pretty scary sight.

-slinger

Do you think it would look like that if the wired were separated from the board in a crash? Not that I've ever crashed ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20