Help - I upgraded firmware & calibrated, now battery issues

Reaction score
Greetings:

I am currently having an issue with my Vision where the low battery warning lights come on. The low battery warning normally only stays on for about 1 second, and then the LED lights on the bottom of the phantom go back to green. The low battery also flashes for a second on the cell phone app too. One time the Phantom went into self land mode and the lights did not go back to Green; however the battery still read 3 green bars (75%+ charged) as the phantom was self landing. This error happens with 2 different batteries. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the Phantom and batteries with alcohol and a cotton swab.

The battery problems arose immediately after upgrading the firmware and calibrating the Vision. The reason for the upgrade and calibration was the phantom was jumping 100+ft in the sky without input. The jumping problem happened after taking the phantom through airline security in a carry on case, and my first flight after coming home happened to occur when the Sun was having a mass corona ejection, and the earth was receiving an electro magnetic pulse. The upgrade and calibration seem to have fixed the jumping problem.

Any advice anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuggie

Re: Help - I upgraded firmware & calibrated, now battery iss

I have had this intermittently - usually in colder weather, usually around the 50% battery mark, and when I'm pushing the throttle hard (big climb or similar). As soon as I ease back a fraction on the stick the klaxon stops and we're back. I'm wondering if it's part of the new additional voltage check they put into the firmware to keep a track on power levels if you lose telemetry because of your data pins. Under a heavy load in the right conditions it might dip the voltage sufficiently to trigger the warning.

Mine has never got to the stage of initiating an autoland, though. As I say it's just a question of easing off slightly (it only ever seems to arise in that middle range of charge). Plug back into the Assistant and have a look at the battery information. Is there anything odd in the battery numbers? Have you done the DJI recommended drop to 8% to recalibrate the battery sensors every 20 or so charges?

Pull_Up said:
I have had this intermittently - usually in colder weather, usually around the 50% battery mark, and when I'm pushing the throttle hard (big climb or similar). As soon as I ease back a fraction on the stick the klaxon stops and we're back. I'm wondering if it's part of the new additional voltage check they put into the firmware to keep a track on power levels if you lose telemetry because of your data pins. Under a heavy load in the right conditions it might dip the voltage sufficiently to trigger the warning.

Mine has never got to the stage of initiating an autoland, though. As I say it's just a question of easing off slightly (it only ever seems to arise in that middle range of charge). Plug back into the Assistant and have a look at the battery information. Is there anything odd in the battery numbers? Have you done the DJI recommended drop to 8% to recalibrate the battery sensors every 20 or so charges?

Greetings:

I got the alcohol and cotton swab back out and really worked the springs on the battery data pins as I cleaned. I took the Vision this morning after the data pin spring cleaning, and everything worked fine. I would like to take it out for another flight, but the winds here are too strong right now. Like you I have had the battery drop problem when it is cold and normally after making a strong maneuver with the Phantom. I really tried to work the alcohol into the data pins spring housing when I cleaned. At any rate, for at least 1 flight my problem is fixed.

Thanks,
Chuggie.

search threads under my name. you will see the battery reading problem really its people after they have done the update. i don't think it's just a cleaning issue. and if it is, then the operating range for proper reading is way too narrow.

As posted elsewhere, I've had this problem for awhIle since upgrading to V1.08. And yes, if throttled long enough it'll trigger an auto-landing. The factory changed the "method of calculating battery life" in CB firmware v1.0.1.19 (pkg. in v1.08) but who knows what what that means: lifetime? or remaining charge? And did they create another problem in the process?

@Pull_Up, does Flytrex monitor the battery and if so do you know its sample rate or update rate? Could it spot a sudden drop in the Vision's Unreg +11.4 for a half-second?

iDrone

iDrone said:
As posted elsewhere, I've had this problem for awhIle since upgrading to V1.08. And yes, if throttled long enough it'll trigger an auto-landing. The factory changed the "method of calculating battery life" in CB firmware v1.0.1.19 (pkg. in v1.08) but who knows what what that means: lifetime? or remaining charge? And did they create another problem in the process?

@Pull_Up, does Flytrex monitor the battery and if so do you know its sample rate or update rate? Could it spot a sudden drop in the Vision's Unreg +11.4 for a half-second?

iDrone

I don't mean to answer for Pull_Up, but I've been through the CSV file pulled from Flytrex and it seems the only thing they're capturing is GPS info. The FlyTrex is connected between the GPS module and the main board and I think that's all the information it's privy to...

-slinger

happydogs said:
search threads under my name. you will see the battery reading problem really its people after they have done the update. i don't think it's just a cleaning issue. and if it is, then the operating range for proper reading is way too narrow.

I'm not sure what to think anymore. It was after upgrading firmware that I had the battery issue, but heavy cleaning seemed fixed the problem for about 15 flights or so, now the problem is starting to crop up again (so far only with 1 of my 2 batteries). I will try some more cleaning the data prongs for the battery, and pushing them in and out, so the alcohol works its way into the springs, and see if that does me any good, and I will report back again after 5-6 more test flights...

Thanks,
Chuggie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub