HELP! How to repair broken files?

Reaction score
I find that my P2V+ or my mac is randomly damaging my film files. They show up on the card with wrong date (31 december 2007 23:00) and the icon is white instead of showing a small picture of the footage. The size and filename is normal but I can't play or repair it. Putting it the card back in the P2V+ and rebooting etc have not helped. Any ideas?

XL-Studios said:
I find that my P2V+ or my mac is randomly damaging my film files. They show up on the card with wrong date (31 december 2007 23:00) and the icon is white instead of showing a small picture of the footage. The size and filename is normal but I can't play or repair it. Putting it the card back in the P2V+ and rebooting etc have not helped. Any ideas?
This is a common problem and has been answered several times.

This happens if you turn off the Phantom before turning off the record. Hit the video icon on your display before turning the Phantom off.

Have you tried installing the card back into the gimbal, turn the controller, range extender, and Phantom all back on. Start recording a short video to allow the file to complete. Then turn the video record off, turn off the Phantom, then the controller, then remove the SD card.

RedRyderMedia said:
XL-Studios said:

This happens if you turn off the Phantom before turning off the record. Hit the video icon on your display before turning the Phantom off.

Have you tried installing the card back into the gimbal, turn the controller, range extender, and Phantom all back on. Start recording a short video to allow the file to complete. Then turn the video record off, turn off the Phantom, then the controller, then remove the SD card.
Thanks, but this is not the broken file I am talking about. Doing suggested procedures does not help. I always stop the filming before shutdown but sometimes get corrupted files anyway. I am loosing every other video this way :-(

XL-Studios said:
Thanks, but this is not the broken file I am talking about. Doing suggested procedures does not help. I always stop the filming before shutdown but sometimes get corrupted files anyway. I am loosing every other video this way :-(

I have had this happen to me a couple of times also, and the recordings WERE stopped prior to powering off. I have two video files that I cannot open and the Vision+ camera failed to repair.

XL-Studios said:

Information on repairing damaged mp4 files here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13169

In short, you'll need a video tool and none worth a **** are free. This one works well on phantom files but the free version will only repair the first half of the video. http://grauonline.de/cms2/

When setting options for the repair, be sure to choose a reference file of the same resolution/fps as the damaged file. Also, select Enable AVC1 single mode. I've purchased the software so if you have a file or two that you need repaired, share them with me and I'll fix them for you.

RedRyderMedia said:
XL-Studios said:

RRM is partially correct here. The corrupted files are caused by switching off the battery before stopping the record. The camera isn't able finalize the video file. The data is still there, the metadata and container information for the file is just not completed. I have never been able to repair unfinished files by putting the card back into the phantom and turning it back on. I doubt very much that the camera software scans the media for incomplete or corrupted files and tries to fix them. Turning the video record on and off will simply start a new file and leave the previous file untouched. You need video file repair software to fix them.

D_Tshudy said:
RedRyderMedia said:
XL-Studios said:

RRM is partially correct here. The corrupted files are caused by switching off the battery before stopping the record. The camera isn't able finalize the video file. The data is still there, the metadata and container information for the file is just not completed. I have never been able to repair unfinished files by putting the card back into the phantom and turning it back on. I doubt very much that the camera software scans the media for incomplete or corrupted files and tries to fix them. Turning the video record on and off will simply start a new file and leave the previous file untouched. You need video file repair software to fix them.
The file error I have is NOT caused by switching off battery before stopping the record! This is another kind of problem that sofa seem unfixable.

XL-Studios said:
The file error I have is NOT caused by switching off battery before stopping the record! This is another kind of problem that sofa seem unfixable.

10-4.
Maybe bad blocks on the flash card? Do a surface scan of the card. Was the mp4 repair software not able to repair the file? It's worked for every one I've tried it on.

D_Tshudy said:
XL-Studios said:

10-4.
Maybe bad blocks on the flash card? Do a surface scan of the card. Was the mp4 repair software not able to repair the file? It's worked for every one I've tried it on.
Is there a mp4 repair software?

XL-Studios said:

In short, you'll need a video tool and none worth a **** are free. This one works well on phantom files but the free version will only repair the first half of the video. http://grauonline.de/cms2/

When setting options for the repair, be sure to choose a reference file of the same resolution/fps as the damaged file. Also, select Enable AVC1 single mode. I've purchased the software so if you have a file or two that you need repaired, share them with me and I'll fix them for you.

D_Tshudy said:
XL-Studios said:

I will check this software for sure.
If you could give my file a try I would be very thankful!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qfeoa05v0li ... u7EyrCde0a

I was able to repair your file but it's going to take a while to upload to my Dropbox account. I'll PM you a link as soon as the upload is complete.

We all get corrupted files with these things. For anyone else reading this, Do-It-Yourself Video Repair Software (VRT) at http://grauonline.de/ just plain works. It's a nice little piece of software. Important!! In repair options, choose "Enable AVC1 single mode" as the Phantom 2 Vision + uses the AVC codec.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20