Help a newbie? P1 transmitter/receiver problems

Reaction score
I'm new at this. Long story short i wanted to add tilt to my Goodluckbuy gamble from eBay. i bought a part to add to the back of my transmitter and ended up breaking it. so i bought a new DJ6 2.4G transmitter only to do some research and figure out it would not bind with my original Phantom 1. so digging deeper i found i needed to get a new Receiver so i bought the... phantom part NO.31 2.4G dual antenna receiver.so i bout one of those and installed it. I have updated all the firmware in the Phantom and the transmitter. i also set the phantom to D-Buss in the Naza software. I followed the instructions to bind the new Receiver. push the button for 2 sec until blinking lED then turn on transmitter and pull stick to lowest position then it goes green showing they have ben bound. BUT... no go. the phantom is still blinking yellow Leds at me. the receiver is plugged into the X2 spot.

so.. what am i doing wrong?

The receiver should be able to bind to the transmitter regardless of whatever else isn't set up right.

The binding instructions you show aren't quite right, but seem close enough. It should be the case that the receiver is blinking red initially, but then after you hold its button down for a couple seconds should change to blinking yellow. Once you turn on the transmitter (no need to move sticks), the receiver light should go off, indicating it's bound.

There are two connections between the receiver and the Naza. One goes to X2, the other goes to X1. If you've hooked them up right, you can see the receiver firmware version on the firmware page. (The second connection is for the firmware info/updating.)

From the Naza Assistant, you should make sure you've got the receiver type correct (DBus) and that no axes are reversed.

You should run the RC Assistant with the transmitter hooked up (if you don't see a USB plug on the bottom, then it's inside; you need to unscrew the back cover and slide it down) to verify it is working correctly.

Adventure_Adam said:
I'm new at this. Long story short i wanted to add tilt to my Goodluckbuy gamble from eBay. i bought a part to add to the back of my transmitter and ended up breaking it. so i bought a new DJ6 2.4G transmitter only to do some research and figure out it would not bind with my original Phantom 1. so digging deeper i found i needed to get a new Receiver so i bought the... phantom part NO.31 2.4G dual antenna receiver.so i bout one of those and installed it. I have updated all the firmware in the Phantom and the transmitter. i also set the phantom to D-Buss in the Naza software. I followed the instructions to bind the new Receiver. push the button for 2 sec until blinking lED then turn on transmitter and pull stick to lowest position then it goes green showing they have ben bound. BUT... no go. the phantom is still blinking yellow Leds at me. the receiver is plugged into the X2 spot.

so.. what am i doing wrong?

Humm, you probably are back to flying but since someone might be interested I thought I would address your issue.
First thing is since you are installing a Spare Part 31, 2 antenna 2.4GHz Receiver you will need to plug into to ports on your Naza MC. Both X1 and X2.

To Bind a DJI Phantom, not a Phantom 2, Vision or Vision plus, but the original DJI Phantom the first thing to determine is what receiver is inside your bird. The reason is when DJI first started they put a 2.4GHz receiver with 1 antenna in the early Phantoms. Then as time went on and they determined that having antennas on 2 legs would give for a better connection no matter what direction the bird is facing, DJI came out with a 2 antenna receiver. In my opinion you also get better range from the 2.4GHz receiver that has 2 antennas. So, in the beginning with the 1 antenna receiver you needed to use the SR6 RC Transmitter.
Ok, so after DJI put the 2 antenna receiver inside the Phantom's you now used the DJ6 RC Transmitter.

I am not going to address binding either the SR6 and 1 antenna receiver, but I am going to explain the 2 Antenna Receiver and the DJ6.
So, here you are, either you are without a RC Transmitter or you have upgraded your Receiver to the 2 antenna Receiver and you wish to bind with a DJ6 RC Transmitter.

With the DJ6 RC Transmitter in the off position, with your props removed, plug your battery into the Phantom leaving the battery outside of the battery compartment. You should see a red light come on inside the battery compartment. This red light is on the bottom of the Receiver board so it is clearly visable through the battery compartment door. The Red light is an indication that no RC Transmitter is found by the receiver. Now if you turn on the DJ6 RC Transmitter the condition of the red light should change in reaction to your turning on the DJ6. Typically the light will start to blink green but sometimes it just goes off. Either way at this point we can see that the DJ6 and the Phantom can see each other. If the light is blinking green, reach inside the battery compartment and press the button for a couple seconds, it should blink red once or twice and then go off. When the red light is off you should be bound and you should be able to start your motors.

The first version Receiver had the button on top and you needed to do different things to bind.
Ok, hopefully all the above makes sense. Now, if you install a new Spare Part 31 Receiver and you can not get a reliable binding to happen. Reverse the X1 and X2 servo cables. Keep what we might call pin 1 up in the Naza MC and towards the little antenna connections on the receiver board but swap the cables. The one you have in X1 put in X2 and Vise Versa. Now your binding should hold and you can go fly.
Here is a link to the upgrade kit I have been selling for 6 months or so.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291277333111?ss ... 1555.l2649

@Wedeliver Thanks for that reply. I think you may have solved at least part of my problem.

Long story short I picked up a Phantom 1 from a person who couldn't get it to bind to the TX. It is a 2 antenna Phantom so I believe, based on the above, I need the DJ6 transmitter but was actually provided with an SR6, which might explain why the former owner was unable to bind.

Question #1 (and maybe this would be solved if I had the right kind of TX). I get a solid red light and when I press and hold it, it flashes red. But it only flashes for about 1-2 seconds before going back to solid red. Is that normal?

Question #2. Is it possible to bind a 2 antenna Phantom 1 to either an SR6 or another transmitter all together? I have other quads that I built and use a Turnigy 9X on those, so if I could bind to that it would save me having to buy another TX.

Thanks!

@Wedeliver Thanks for that reply. I think you may have solved at least part of my problem.

Long story short I picked up a Phantom 1 from a person who couldn't get it to bind to the TX. It is a 2 antenna Phantom so I believe, based on the above, I need the DJ6 transmitter but was actually provided with an SR6, which might explain why the former owner was unable to bind.

Question #1 (and maybe this would be solved if I had the right kind of TX). I get a solid red light and when I press and hold it, it flashes red. But it only flashes for about 1-2 seconds before going back to solid red. Is that normal?

Question #2. Is it possible to bind a 2 antenna Phantom 1 to either an SR6 or another transmitter all together? I have other quads that I built and use a Turnigy 9X on those, so if I could bind to that it would save me having to buy another TX.

Thanks!

Hi, First of all in your first paragraph you say "It is a 2 antenna Phantom so I believe" Here is how you tell. On one the legs of the Phantom there is a little square metal box. This is the compass. The Compass is attached with a gray ribbon cable. On at least one other leg there is a little tubular thing with a little wire sticking out of it. The other end is a wire that goes inside the phantom. This is an antenna. Your Phantom either has 1 or 2 of these antennas. If there is only 1 antenna then you need the SR6 or remove and replace the receiver with one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291275841483?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Make sure both of your switches are in the up position (not the STICKS BUT THE SWITCHES)

Now in reply to Question #1. If you have 2 antennas you are missing key points in my instructions. Let me try and explain better. The idea is you leave your DJ6 off. You plug in the quadcopter battery leaving it outside the Phantom. At this point, after plugging in the Phantom Battery, a Red light should come on inside the battery compartment, on the Receiver. The Red light means that the Receiver is unable to see a transmitter. Now, the next step is to turn on the DJ6, after turning on the DJ6 the Red light should change as there is now a transmitter available. The light might start blinking green or it can sometimes just go off. If it blinks green this is when you reach inside and press the little button next to the light. Hold the button for a couple of seconds until it blinks red once or twice and then goes off. If the light is off that means that you have established a connection between the DJ6 RC Transmitter and the 2.4GHz Receiver inside the Phantom. The proof that you have a connection is that the Red light is off.

In reply to question #2. I think all off these things, SR6, DJ6, 1 antenna receiver and 2 antenna receiver are all made by DJI and for the most part only work with DJI. Although I do believe that the 2 antenna 2.4GHz Receiver that I sell works with a Fatuba Tranmitter. Assuming there is a 2 antenna receiver inside a Phantom it will not work with an SR6. Although the SR6 does use 2.4GHz as the control frequency it is not the same as the DJ6 and only works with the little single antenna receiver. The 2 antenna receiver I sell and that comes from the DJI factory uses the 2.4GHz Frequency for Radio Control. The DJ6 is also 2.4GHz.

But, are we sure that this 2 Antenna Phantom is not an FC40. An FC40 uses 5.8GHz for the control Frequency so it naturally needs a 5.8GHz RC Transmitter.
I hope I have answered your questions.
Craig

Thanks for the detailed response.

First, yes, I have two antennas.

I get the red light when I plug in but if I turn on the TX then nothing happens, the light stays solid red. I also tried turning on my Turnigy 9X with the same results.

I definitely have the SR6 transmitter so it would appear I have the wrong one.

That is an expensive receiver. Assuming there is room inside the case I could replace the RX with a Turnigy TX for 1/5th the price (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12339__Turnigy_9X_2_4GHz_8Ch_Receiver_V2_.html)
which is probably the direction I'll go in unless I can find a way to bind the DJI to my Turnigy.

But I really appreciate the detailed (and fast) reply.

Thanks!

I get the red light when I plug in but if I turn on the TX then nothing happens, the light stays solid red. I also tried turning on my Turnigy 9X with the same results.

That is an expensive receiver. Assuming there is room inside the case I could replace the RX with a Turnigy TX for 1/5th the price (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12339__Turnigy_9X_2_4GHz_8Ch_Receiver_V2_.html)
which is probably the direction I'll go in unless I can find a way to bind the DJI to my Turnigy.

Thanks!

Do you have a DJ6? If you have 2 antennas then you need a DJ6 not an SR6. Also, I don't think that Turnigy receiver will work with a DJI Naza.

Do you have a DJ6? If you have 2 antennas then you need a DJ6 not an SR6. Also, I don't think that Turnigy receiver will work with a DJI Naza.
I have an SR6 and a 2 antenna Phantom. The person that owned it before me bought the replacement TX - I guess he bought the wrong one.

I have an SR6 and a 2 antenna Phantom. The person that owned it before me bought the replacement TX - I guess he bought the wrong one.
On the tag on the bottom of the Phantom what is the Version number next to the serial number? The reason I ask is how do you know you don't have an FC40? Is there a holder for a camera on the bottom? Anyway, you might want to confirm what receiver is inside the quadcopter by opening it up. The 2 antenna receivers say what frequency they use right on them. Good luck

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's not an FC40 because I had one of those before and it didn't have the internal USB cable like this one, but I'll open it up just to be sure anyway. Thanks again for the responses!

Thanks!

i have a dj6 for sale came with phantom if intrested 90 shipped. paypal accepted. :cool:

or install original single antenna and reciver board. prolly only 20 bucks online and use the sr6 you have.

i have a dj6 for sale came with phantom if intrested 90 shipped. paypal accepted. :cool:

or install original single antenna and reciver board. prolly only 20 bucks online and use the sr6 you have.
Thanks, but that's too rich for me.
I think I'll buy a receiver for the Turnigy 9X I already have (sell the SR6) and see how that goes. If that doesn't get it flying again then I'll cannibalize it for parts - that NAZA will be a nice replacement for the Multi-Wii I have in an F450.

@Wedeliver just wanted to check in to tell you of the conclusion.

After reading your comments I found a DJ6 on ebay for $35 and it paired with the Phantom no problem at all. And the other good news - I was able to sell the SR6 for $41 :)

After upgrading the firmware, calibration etc. I took her out for a test flight today and all seemed to work great.

I do seem to have a problem with one of the motors - it's not as smooth as the others and, when flying, there are occasional squeeks and the copter bobbles before recovering. I suspect that motor needs to be replaced.

But thanks again, a really big help! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20