Help. 100+ flights and suddenly gimbal goes limp and no signal

Reaction score
I have a phantom 3 advanced which had just passed its 100 flight milestone. When I went to fly yesterday the phantom turned on as normal and the camera went through its normal start up procedure but then after 10 seconds the gimbal goes limp and the camera drops down, I have no video signal to the app either. The motors fire up on though.

I have never crashed it, it has literally happened for no reason. I am so gutted as I fly very often and until now nothing has ever gone wrong.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

That action is the same as a power down action. Check data ribbon plug from camera to drone. The pins are not quite visible to outside, but mabey one or more pins has worked out of it's place. Replace data ribbon with new one to see if that fixes it. If that is not the problem , the main circut board of the camera may be faulty. Replacing the camera may be needed. If the drone is able to start, and fly, the camera module is the area to troubleshoot.

I have checked the grey cables, unplugged and reconnected but unfortunately it made no difference. I see the ribbon cable is significantly cheaper than a whole new camera/gimbal unit so it may be worth heading down that route.

It wouldn't be software related would it? Like a corruption or something? Is it worth me hosting the firmware to check first?

Did you recently install new firmware?

No, haven't changed that for around 12 months. Just wondered if it could get corrupted some how.

I have checked the grey cables, unplugged and reconnected but unfortunately it made no difference. I see the ribbon cable is significantly cheaper than a whole new camera/gimbal unit so it may be worth heading down that route.

It wouldn't be software related would it? Like a corruption or something? Is it worth me hosting the firmware to check first?
Although I do not think it is software related, it would not hurt to flash the latest again, make sure app is current as well. Do you have camera view? is it feeding video through or black screen? The camera has a 6 month warranty,The drone itself has 1 year warranty, you might be able to get a new one. Does the camera respond to a gimbal calibration?

Just wondered if it could get corrupted some how.
No. The issue is most likely hardware related.

Did you try starting up your Phantom with the memory card removed?

Also might want to wiggle the data/power ribbon/cable while drone is powered up, to see if it's a intermmitant power issue through cable/plug.

Also, the actual thin flat data ribbon is very fragile. It may be damaged in a way that you just can't see. It is held in place to boards by clasping to contacts, Possibly has been pulled out/away from contacts.

I have no video signal to the app whatsoever.

I've also tried without sd card, same thing happens.

There is no power issue as the gimbal turns on and runs it's start procedure wiggle. It's after 10 seconds that it then goes limp and camera drops.

I've unscrewed the camera and gimbal and inspected ribbon cable, it shows no visible wear it damage but it is so fine and delicate that I would imagin it wouldn't take much to damage it.

My main reason for confusion is that nothing happened to it, it's flown 101 times and never crashed. So strange this is just starting to happen.

I guess I will update all firmware to latest generation and then see what that does. That's the last thing before looking at purchasing new parts.

I have no video signal to the app whatsoever.

I've also tried without sd card, same thing happens.

There is no power issue as the gimbal turns on and runs it's start procedure wiggle. It's after 10 seconds that it then goes limp and camera drops.

I've unscrewed the camera and gimbal and inspected ribbon cable, it shows no visible wear it damage but it is so fine and delicate that I would imagin it wouldn't take much to damage it.

My main reason for confusion is that nothing happened to it, it's flown 101 times and never crashed. So strange this is just starting to happen.

I guess I will update all firmware to latest generation and then see what that does. That's the last thing before looking at purchasing new parts.
If it's under 6 months old, check to see if you are under camera warranty.

This happens when your sd card is corrupted. Try reformating the card in your computer, then put it back in thbe Phantom and start up.

Are you able to access camera gimbal calibration screen in dji go? if so does it respond?

Are you able to access camera gimbal calibration screen in dji go? if so does it respond?

Yes I am and when it goes through its calibration the app thinks it's done and complete. But the camera/gimbal hasn't moved or made a noise, just flashes green and is just hanging. It completes the initial one at start up and then losses power or perhaps instruction.

I've ordered a new ribbon cable as there are many posts on YouTube showing an identical problem. They suggest changing that over so that's my next step.

There are two cables, The ultra thin and easily damaged data ribbon ( damage may not be visible), and the thicker power control cable (easy to replace) Replacing the thin ribbon is tricky but there are videos on youtube that will help greatly. Opening the case up may even reveal a ribbon clasp not holding the ribbon to its contacts and you may find that ribbon has pulled out of it's socket (Easiest fix). The actual camera itself most likely is functional. The thin ribbon is too easily damaged and would be my choice to replace although it is the hardest to work with.

There are two cables, The ultra thin and easily damaged data ribbon ( damage may not be visible), and the thicker power control cable (easy to replace) Replacing the thin ribbon is tricky but there are videos on youtube that will help greatly. Opening the case up may even reveal a ribbon clasp not holding the ribbon to its contacts and you may find that ribbon has pulled out of it's socket (Easiest fix). The actual camera itself most likely is functional. The thin ribbon is too easily damaged and would be my choice to replace although it is the hardest to work with.

Thanks mate. The ribbon should be here Thursday next week, bought the genuine dji one rather than the cheaper copies. Have a good idea about what it all looks like so I'll let you know how it goes. Also spoke to a shop who said they were happy for me to pop down (3 hours away) if i have no luck with the ribbon and they said they would pop a spare whole camera/gimbal unit on it to eliminate that. They thought that would certainly fix it but obviously that's a lot more money than just ribbon so I'll go with that first off.

Just got my phantom 3 standard new yesterday, it happened to me while I was just setting it up, not even flown it yet.
Took the battery out and tried again and all seems fine again.
Not be banged or anything here as it's not been flown but was worrying.
Will see today how it goes when I fly it.
Let me know how you go on.
Good luck.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

when this occurs the flex cable (black cable on the gimbal) somehow got damaged and will not register.
so what happens is you turn on the bird, gimbal does the initial dance and after 15 seconds tries to "register" and fails and it looses power and goes limb.
you will need to replace that cable on the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic