Hello from Toronto Canada

YYZ

Reaction score
Hey friends,

Just a quick intro. P3A operator in Toronto. cheers.

Welcome YYZ, from Mt.Albert, Ontario, about 1 hr.North of Toronto, you have come to the right site for info, helpful hints & very knowledgeable flyers.(myself not included!)
I see that we are allowed to fly the Scarbourgh bluffs with no issues, beautiful area for filming for sure.
Ontario place, just down the way, is off limits, I;m assuming because of the island airport.
Although the statement reads- "If you want to fly the Ontario place area, an official notification is in order."
Safe flying!

Hey Royster,

Thank you for the welcome! The bluffs are a great spot to fly for sure. I live in midtown, and fly mostly in that area. The city is filled with ravines, and forest (hard to believe, but it's true) so I spend most of my time in those areas.

Cheers!

Do we need a UAV flying license in Canada? People in this thread seem to think so: Advanced - Flying in Canada

I was all ready to go down to Best Buy tomorrow to get a P3P until I saw that.

At the moment, only commercial operations require an SFOC. Hobbyists are highly encouraged to follow a basic set of Transport Canada guidelines.

Welcome YYZ
I am from Bowmanville myself. I have been flying up around the Kawartha lakes myself and a bit around Bowmanville. Any significance to the YYZ besides the airport code?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Welcome YYZ
I am from Bowmanville myself. I have been flying up around the Kawartha lakes myself and a bit around Bowmanville. Any significance to the YYZ besides the airport code?

No significance to the name....interestingly I grew up in Bowmanville. I flew out at camp 30 a month ago. Sad to see what has become of the old high school....yikes

A bunch of people get together at the bluffs pretty steadily !!! If you want to pass by and say hi just let me know !!

Hi, I'm also new to the forum and quad community! Based in downtown Toronto.

I've searched this thread and the rest of the forum and I still can't get a clear answer as to where it would be best (and most legal) to fly my drone.

I have no interest in driving to 'sauga to fly at a club. Also, I've heard it mentioned here that the Scarborough Bluffs is a good spot, but isn't this a municipal park falling under city by-law restrictions?

Anyway, i'd love some feedback from any experienced flyers out there (in Toronto).. my interest is videography and photography, but I need to get flight time in so im comfortable shooting at travel locations.

Thanks in advance!

cff

Last edited:
Hi, I'm also new to the forum and quad community! Based in downtown Toronto.

I've searched this thread and the rest of the forum and I still can't get a clear answer as to where it would be best (and most legal) to fly my drone.

I have no interest in driving to 'sauga to fly at a club. Also, I've heard it mentioned here that the Scarborough Bluffs is a good spot, but isn't this a municipal park falling under city by-law restrictions?

Anyway, i'd love some feedback from any experienced flyers out there (in Toronto).. my interest is videography and photography, but I need to get flight time in so im comfortable shooting at travel locations.

Thanks in advance!

cff

Welcome to the club. I also live in Midtown and most of my flying is within city limits.

At the moment, as a hobby operator, you can legally fly in most of the city. Use common sense when selecting a venue. I'm sure you're well aware of the hazards. Flying in the core is not pleasant, as your radio signal will be weak and compass issues common. during the evenings there are lots of private fixed wing aircraft circling downtown. You've got to listen for them at all times. They're usually higher than 500'....but not always.

Beaches, bluffs and school yards are good places to practice. Have fun!

Welcome to the club. I also live in Midtown and most of my flying is within city limits.

At the moment, as a hobby operator, you can legally fly in most of the city. Use common sense when selecting a venue. I'm sure you're well aware of the hazards. Flying in the core is not pleasant, as your radio signal will be weak and compass issues common. during the evenings there are lots of private fixed wing aircraft circling downtown. You've got to listen for them at all times. They're usually higher than 500'....but not always.

Beaches, bluffs and school yards are good places to practice. Have fun!

Thanks for the quick reply and feedback!

For the beaches, bluffs, school yards etc. are there any in particular (or areas of) and times of day that you would recommend?

Thanks for the quick reply and feedback!

For the beaches, bluffs, school yards etc. are there any in particular (or areas of) and times of day that you would recommend?

Bluffs are great anytime. Same with beaches but I prefer early morning or evening. schools outside of school hours. city parks are also pretty good. There is a bylaw prohibiting rc aircraft, but I've never had an issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20