Hello from St Louis, MO

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been lurking for a few weeks and have finally decided on a P3P even though the P4 was announced. I believe it will be just fine for my needs and I'm hoping the parts keep getting cheaper! [emoji1]

I was really wishy-washy for a long time though and am still really nervous about some of the things like the props coming off and crashing and the shell cracking. I purchased from Best Buy hoping that gives me some flexibility in having a lack retail store versus buying on eBay, etc (probably not but made me feel better). I pick it up today but the weather this week looks lousy so I will have time to update and practice!

Looking forward to adding to the discussion more since the forum has been so good to me!
Thrasher

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm a newer pilot as well and have crashed my P3P twice now on landings. When it got close to the ground it just flipped itself upside down. I've changed the blades once and other than that it seems pretty resilient. I'm curious to know where you are flying the STL, I live down in Rolla and would love to find some great areas to fly with other people.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm a newer pilot as well and have crashed my P3P twice now on landings. When it got close to the ground it just flipped itself upside down. I've changed the blades once and other than that it seems pretty resilient. I'm curious to know where you are flying the STL, I live down in Rolla and would love to find some great areas to fly with other people.

Hey Ohno, I'm actually still kind of exploring places. I plan to go to Creve Coeur lake but will likely start at the RC field at 141 and 44. I also plan to fly out of my back yard some as I live in the far west suburbs. I bet you have some great places to fly near Rolla?

@Thrasher Welcome to the forum! I'm a native of the STL, so flew around there last spring. Had fun with fireworks in forest park and flying around isolated (dangerous?) areas around downtown riverfront.
Here's a vid of some highlights in STL. Of course some of these shots you can't get anymore due to FAA regs[emoji15]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2nd2non, wow. That footage was amazing. When I think of what I would like to do with mine in STL, you did it all. However, to your point, doing some of those shots these days (over the arch, seriously?! So awesome!) it would be a quick trip to a place I wouldn't want to go I think. Ha. Anyway, beautiful footage, thanks for sharing!

@Thrasher Welcome to the forum! I'm a native of the STL, so flew around there last spring. Had fun with fireworks in forest park and flying around isolated (dangerous?) areas around downtown riverfront.
Here's a vid of some highlights in STL. Of course some of these shots you can't get anymore due to FAA regs[emoji15]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
2nd2non, I am going to St. Louis on business the week of 4/11/16. From your post and what I am reading, the Arch is basically off limits to fly around.
Any suggestions while I am in that area for the week?

2nd2non, I am going to St. Louis on business the week of 4/11/16. From your post and what I am reading, the Arch is basically off limits to fly around.
Any suggestions while I am in that area for the week?
I say flying on the arch grounds are off limits. You may still be able to take off and get images over the river. I haven't tried it or been to St. Louis since DJI added NFZs. Edward jones stadium or Busch stadium NFZs may prevent you. Check it on the app. PM me if you want a good reco on takeoff.
April is a bad month in STL due to winds. I don't have specific spots to fly as I typically look for specific scenes. There are plenty of open areas to fly outside the city area. Forrest park is probably also empty this time of year and had some nice lake, hill, flower scenery. Should be very nice in spring. Not sure if there are any rules around flying nowadays, so just use discretion or check online.

Thanks 2nd2non for the info. I am familiar some with the area when I was stationed at Scott Airforce base, but that was over 20 years ago. I will watch for NFZ's and use discretion, as I am pretty conservative in my flying.

You can fly around the arch and the grounds the ffa and federal law states you can't take off on national park ground however if you take off on private or public property and fly to the grounds or around the arch you can however be careful there is a airport right across the river and a helicopter company right below the arch taking off every 15-30 minutes for tours fyi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers