Hello from new member

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I've been immersed in this forum for a few days now and am amazed at all the good information here and how helpful everyone seems to be.

I am a landscape photographer and have gotten interested in the Phantom in the last few months to get more creative with my photography. In fact, I just ordered a P2V+ from B&H a few minutes ago and it should be here Tuesday. Can't wait! :D

I saw the story about the idiot pilot that flew his into Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone. I go to a lot of National Parks in the US, and you won't be seeing reports about me doing similar things.

Off to download the DJI apps and the AMA guidelines now!

Happy flying!

Todd

Welcome. Flying responsibly is the biggest favor you can do for this community. Reading the Manual, developing a pre-flight checklist, and sticking to it, is the best thing you can do for yourself. Start off small and close. The first few flights are where people seem to get in a hurry, and subsequently get themselves into trouble.

I speak from experience :)

photographix said:
I am a landscape photographer

What a coincidence! A gig I did this week means I am now a landscaping photographer :D

Welcome Todd! Looks like you're taking the right approach of "learn first try later" and you picked a great resource for that. Let us know if you need help bringing clarity to any of the mountain of info you're now climbing ;)

Welcome Todd!
As its been said already you are doing the right thing by reading up first. Watch as many youtube instructionals as possible. Learn the terms Vortex ring state and how to avoid, and marking your home point. Take it easy at first, make sure the S1&S2 switches are up at all times. When taking off give full throttle otherwise you will tip over. I personally hand catch when landing, saves you tipping over and breaking props, there should be youtube videos on that and it will take a bit of nerve to do the first few time so maybe leave that for a few weeks. Make sure you have gps lock with rapid green flashing lights and have 6 sats at least showing on your phone. Get extra props, you'll need them at the start and get an extra battery too. Wide open spaces at first until you feel comfortable. I'm sure I've left a few things out which others will add but its enough for you to get learning on.
Happy flying and dont be afraid to ask.

Elwood58 said:
Welcome. Flying responsibly is the biggest favor you can do for this community. Reading the Manual, developing a pre-flight checklist, and sticking to it, is the best thing you can do for yourself. Start off small and close. The first few flights are where people seem to get in a hurry, and subsequently get themselves into trouble.......
+1

If you've never flown a quad before, do yourself a favor and buy a cheap one like a Hubsan X4 or similar from amazon for $40-50. Learn to fly it well before flying your phantom. Could mean the difference between a vision+ that is still working in a week vs. one that isn't.

If you do this, you won't need extra props because you won't be crashing it...

Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone. Appreciated!

To answer some questions:
I live near Albuquerque, NM. My neighbor is into RC planes, and has pointed me to a couple parks in the area where RCers hang out.

I did buy a Hubsan x4 107C to practice with. I sent it back when smoke came out of the circuit board and a motor quit after just 6 flights. I did get enough stick time on it to get familiar with quads, but was by no means an expert at it. Even thought the x4 broke, I got hooked on aerial video with it. I am already visualizing a little film I'd like to make.

I plan to be very careful the first few flights with the P2V+, always make sure I have GPS active, and will take the gimbal off of it until I get used to it. Then I'll get a little more daring and zip tie my GoPro to it, and then practice without GPS to be able to handle emergencies.

Good tips on landing by grabbing, and full throttle on takeoff. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.