Hello, and advice?

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the add.

I joined because I saw some discussion on how various apps can pre-program flight paths (autopilot) for drones, and I wanted to ask for advice or recommendations for a project I want to do.

In a nutshell, I'd like a drone to cover an area - say 100m x 25m for argument's sake - and to scan that area back and forth taking high resolution photographs pointing directly down at the ground. Each photograph should be about 2.2m x 2.2m or so, and the subsequent photo should overlap the prior one - by that 20cm. In other words, I want it to take 2x2m photos of the entire area, and have a bit of a border around each photo.

My ideal is to, say, tap two points on a map - defining opposite corners of a rectangle - and the drone just goes and does its stuff. I imagine it doesn't have to fly high.

Regarding image quality -

If I take a photo of the ground using my phone, from, say, 1.7m off the ground, the resolution is ok to a degree, but I actually want it a bit better. If I take a photo of the ground using my phone from, say, 20cm, then the resolution is excellent for what I want to do, but of course the area covered is only about 30cm x 30cm. Ideally I want 2x2m images with enough resolution so that I can zoom in to a 30x30cm square and get as much resolution as I would have, if I had taken the photo using my phone from 20cm above the ground. Sorry if that sounds confusing!

I realise this forum is specifically for Phantoms, but as I am totally new to drones, if there is something you can recommend - even if it's something else - I'd be most appreciative.

Many thanks, and I look forward to learning about drone piloting here.

Chris.

Ideally I want 2x2m images with enough resolution so that I can zoom in to a 30x30cm square and get as much resolution as I would have, if I had taken the photo using my phone from 20cm above the ground.
There are programs for mapping surveys that automate flying a precise grid and taking overlapping photos of the whole site.
See Dronedeploy for an example of how this works.

But you are going to have problems trying to get the same detail you would get from 20cm above the ground.

Reactions: youcantryreachingme

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav