Helipad

Reaction score
Never thought I'd want one. But I fly off of grass an noticed gimbal errors, I'm like WTF now ! Here its the gimbal just touching the grass ! Just picked it and alls fine. I wasn't even high grass , at local baseball field.

Mori55 said:
Never thought I'd want one. But I fly off of grass an noticed gimbal errors, I'm like WTF now ! Here its the gimbal just touching the grass ! Just picked it and alls fine. I wasn't even high grass , at local baseball field.

Not a bad idea. I have experienced the same error from grass just touching the gimble. I suppose just a piece of plywood, maybe 2' x 2' would work. I sometimes use my case to take off and land on, but the other day I missed due to wind and nicked the side of it and broke a prop. Something flatter would work great, maybe paint it up with a circle on it or something. But, I hate to have to carry something else into the field with me...

DBS said:
I started using a mirror and I love it... nice flat surface and it allows me to see the light sequence on bright days much better...

http://youtu.be/8KOw7Llh0fU

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KOw7Llh0fU[/youtube]

HA! I like that, Big Chuck! I would prefer something reflective that wouldn't break, but you've got my juices flowing! :D

I have a Atlantic city highway sign about 2' round. My neighbor is a vinyl sign car guy. I think I'll see if he has something I can use and will reflect the lights.
Signs aluminum.

PhilAnderson said:
Mori55 said:

Not a bad idea. I have experienced the same error from grass just touching the gimble. I suppose just a piece of plywood, maybe 2' x 2' would work. I sometimes use my case to take off and land on, but the other day I missed due to wind and nicked the side of it and broke a prop. Something flatter would work great, maybe paint it up with a circle on it or something. But, I hate to have to carry something else into the field with me...

I have just ordered these, I thought 4 of them joined with duct tape on the underside, will fold down to one A5 size to go in the case

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... UTF8&psc=1

PhilAnderson said:
HA! I like that, Big Chuck! I would prefer something reflective that wouldn't break, but you've got my juices flowing! :D

The Home Depot sells large pieces of mirrored plexiglass as well... less likely to break I suppose... but that mirror I'm using is a thick public bathroom mirror... I'd really have to come crashing down on that sucker to break it :twisted:

Its a good view that one, much better than the run of the mill stuff !

:D

Here's my pad. Found this years ago on the expressway laying on the road. With the reflectors on it , works great !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 405
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 411
el cheapo, there is also foil backed insulation (like Tuff-R) and contractors throw out all the small pieces.
It comes in various thickness. It can be also used as additional padding, and staked down with 2 tent stakes.

EDIT: This is not a good idea at all, as it can crumble and parts can get into everywhere.

Yeah but that stuff can get nasty , insulation kinda comes off. The sign is aluminum and won't blow away.

helipad01-t.jpg
:D

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic