Helicopter or Drone?

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
A Robinson-22 helicopter converted by UAVOS into an unmanned drone has successfully completed in-air programmed missions.

Its first flight, with a duration of more than 1 hour, was fully self-piloted reaching a height of up to 2200ft.

UAVOS confirmed that during the flight all scheduled tests were performed including fully automatic take-off, en-route flight, and landing.

Helicopter Robinson completes first test flight after UAVOS drone conversion

Drone. I wonder if those are more reliable now, that you have taken out the human factor, from the equation.

Reliability of the aircraft?

What are the min and max limits for drone of higher weight? I know that civilian helicopter use in my area is limited to over 700 AGL except for take offs and landings.

So, why can this fly over 400 AGL? It is remotely piloted.

This project isn't operating under your standard Part 107 criteria (it's a big larger and more complex than our Phantoms & Mavics and is well above the Max weight limits of the standard Part 107. They are operating under (most likely) several unique waivers and working directly with the FAA to make sure it's safe.

*Update*
This isn't even in the USA. This project is being done in Saudi Arabia.It's a project being done jointly with UAVOS and King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) . UAVOS has locations around the world (including one in the US) and KACST is located in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. KACST is a scientific government institution of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

What are the min and max limits for drone of higher weight? I know that civilian helicopter use in my area is limited to over 700 AGL except for take offs and landings.

There is no "standard" for this type of operation. This is a very special/unique situation and they are operating under very specific criteria.

What's the area you are referring to in reference to 700AGL? I'd like to check that out on the sectional to see how they have it worded to notify incoming pilots of this unique limitation.

Last edited:
Is possible to find helicopter traffic on flugradar24.live? I can't find it

FlightRadar24 has several limitations so not every flight (regardless what they advertise) will show up. In fact in some areas of the world only roughly 30% of flights are showing up.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Is possible to find helicopter traffic on flugradar24.live? I can't find it

If the heli has a transponder, it should show up for you. I've found that small planes and private copters having a transponder is a crap shoot. I can see most of the police, medical, and news choppers on FlightRadar, but every once in a while I'll have a plane or copter fly over that doesn't show up on the map. Always need to keep your eyes and ears open!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers