Helicopter altitude

Reaction score
I live out in a rural area. Yesterday, a helicopter passed by and it sure appeared that he was lower than 400'. When I have sent my Phantom up to 400', it is way up there and this helicopter looked to be below that level. I can't swear to it. He was not landing or taking off in that area, and I don't know why he was that low. This could create a dangerous situation and I would never want to get in their way.

Is there a minimum for horizontal flight for aircraft? As there are many trees in my area, I can't see an aircraft coming from very far away. Any suggestions?

b. Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

c. Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

d. Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph B or C of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Full scale helicopters are not subject to the altitude limitations of winged aircraft. They can be flown at most any altitude below 400'. Places to be extra careful are tourist locations where helicopter tours are given like Niagara Falls, New York City, the Grand Canyon, etc. Be safe out there. :)

Consider military helicopters. Where I live in UK they are a constant annoyance- because they are so noisy as they practice flying low. I am ex forces so remain proud

Reactions: grottoli
I remember in my days at flight school flying around or just above the trees. This was during the VN days. You were taught to fly low. Flying low fast didn't give those guys time to fire at you. I saw helicopters shot out of the air if they were too high, just not pretty.
We did the same thing while in Germany. Only difference was try to see power lines.

or sparsely populated areas

That's the key for the boondocks. I remember seeing the seeds on the grass heads with my old taildragger and thinking, "jeez, maybe i oughta bring it up fifty feet."

That's why the FAA isn't a big fan of FPV goggles.

SB

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen