Height signal and distance signal not the same

Reaction score
With my stock p3s ill get about 1200 feet in distance before loosing signal but i can only go about 350 in height (straight up ) before loosing signal. Seems abit odd. Any body have any experience with this or may know why..?

about 350 in height (straight up ) before loosing signal. Seems abit odd. Any body have any experience with this or may know why..?
Geometry and physics mean that straight up is always going to be the most difficult angle to get full signal strength.
Am pointing staright at it, even still a 700 feet diffrence..
You want your antennas to be as close to parallel as possible - not pointing at them.

The signal goes around the tip and not out the tip. =====|=====.

P3-Antenna-Position-Single.jpg

Just move 100 ft out mf no more problem

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There's a few things going on here. Here's a way of looking at it...

By design the antenna system is vertically polarized as evidenced in the antennas being oriented vertically.

In this orientation the Tx & Rx are in a sense matched and maximum surface area is exposed between them thus maximum signal can be transferred. As the antennas move closer to each other at various heights the exposed surface area between them is reduced until theoretically the antennas become tip-to-tip resulting in the least amout of exposed surface area possible.

As was mentioned earlier, the Tx radiation pattern of a dipole is maximum along the sides and forms a ''donut" shape 360 deg. around the antenna with the top (tip) and bottom (base) sort of like the donut's center hole with little to no signal produced there. In the inverse this describes the most and least sensitive ares for Rx signal reception.

Stack them on top of each other and you may now be able to visualize why the signal drops-out and 'range' is reduced.

Pointing the Tx antennas horizontally or parallel to the ground in this situation does help somewhat but you are still in the Rx antenns' 'donut hole' and thus results can be unreliable.

Last edited:
Try a windsurfer I have a phantom three 4K it is very important to not have it pointed out it is well and depends on conditions where you are I got mine 2000 feet out and that seemed far and 400 feet up but I was at a lake wide open areas you can get it very far

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

To put it simply......................... when your bird is straight overhead, your antennas need to be pointed straight out, parallel to the ground. They radiate from the front sides, not the tips. Or hold the remote control to where the front "sides" are pointed at the bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl