HealthyDrones / DJI Battery diagnostics

Reaction score
I'm getting similar analysis to the picture below on one of my batteries from Healthydrones.com, but 100% "battery life" remaining (4 lights on the battery when I hold the button down for 5 seconds)...I'd like thoughts on how best to identify a battery that is going bad before your bird drops out of the air....what healthydrones is doing makes sense to me, but what is DJI basing their battery life on?

Attachments

• deviations-error4.jpg
    deviations-error4.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 517
I'm getting similar analysis to the picture below on one of my batteries from Healthydrones.com, but 100% "battery life" remaining (4 lights on the battery when I hold the button down for 5 seconds)...I'd like thoughts on how best to identify a battery that is going bad before your bird drops out of the air....what healthydrones is doing makes sense to me, but what is DJI basing their battery life on?

Your battery "life" doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a battery malfunction. You shouldn't regularly be getting major battery cell deviations - if you continue to get them, I would get a new battery. If this battery is relatively new - see if DJI will replace for you.

Reactions: BigAl07
Your battery "life" doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a battery malfunction. You shouldn't regularly be getting major battery cell deviations - if you continue to get them, I would get a new battery. If this battery is relatively new - see if DJI will replace for you.
I do have the battery details programmed to one of the controller backside buttons and periodically monitor it during all flights. I've never noticed anything other than green on all four cells during flight. DJI's threshold and healthydrones threshold are probably different and you will always get slight deviation between cells. So are you saying my battery is bad, healthydrones is right, DJI is wrong, and you would not fly that battery?

I do have the battery details programmed to one of the controller backside buttons and periodically monitor it during all flights. I've never noticed anything other than green on all four cells during flight. DJI's threshold and healthydrones threshold are probably different and you will always get slight deviation between cells. So are you saying my battery is bad, healthydrones is right, DJI is wrong, and you would not fly that battery?

I have never gotten anything but all green on healthy drones.... I wouldn't say DJI is wrong but it is probably measuring it differently. Even the healthy drones report has the one cell in the yellow (not the red). What I would do... vs what you might do are two different things. I wouldn't like that I was seeing an anomaly like that in a cell of a battery on a $1300.00 quad. But I have 5 batteries so it's easy for me to say I wouldn't fly that battery. At the minimum... I would watch it very closely and if it keeps throwing that error, I would get more and more suspicious of that cell.

This is all just my 2 cents - since you asked :)

I have never gotten anything but all green on healthy drones.... I wouldn't say DJI is wrong but it is probably measuring it differently. Even the healthy drones report has the one cell in the yellow (not the red). What I would do... vs what you might do are two different things. I wouldn't like that I was seeing an anomaly like that in a cell of a battery on a $1300.00 quad. But I have 5 batteries so it's easy for me to say I wouldn't fly that battery. At the minimum... I would watch it very closely and if it keeps throwing that error, I would get more and more suspicious of that cell.

This is all just my 2 cents - since you asked :)
Appreciate the help! There is so much data available from the smart batteries now its awesome. It's just that there is very little information out there about what all this data means. My other batteries also show all green on healthydrones so at a minimum I'm suspicious. Has anyone else experienced this? Would a battery drain to 8% hurt or help anything (I think I only have 10 recharges on this battery).

I recently posted on another thread. Got a critical voltage warning on one of my last flights. Safely landed it as soon as quickly as I could and swapped batteries. Uploaded to healthy drones and not a single error was detected on the battery. I've labeled the battery as sketchy. Gonna do a full charge and hover at 2 feet for the duration of the charge and see if anything comes up.

I recently posted on another thread. Got a critical voltage warning on one of my last flights. Safely landed it as soon as quickly as I could and swapped batteries. Uploaded to healthy drones and not a single error was detected on the battery. I've labeled the battery as sketchy. Gonna do a full charge and hover at 2 feet for the duration of the charge and see if anything comes up.
Let us know how it goes...I really think we need to share more of this stuff. No one seems to know much about the wealth of information we have on these logs, how DJI is calculating this stuff etc... I'd love to know the logic behind when the bird decides it's time to make an emergency landing...that would give us some idea of what DJI is thinking.

Just an update on my original post ...I was getting more than a few major deviation as outlined above. I didn't really know what it meant (if it was a big deal or not), bird flew great with the battery, but it was deffinetly different than my other three batteries. The battery was still under warranty so I shipped it back to DJI and they replaced the battery - no questions or arguments (even payed for shipping both ways). So my conclusion is that Eran's website really is a GREAT way to diagnose issues with your equipment BEFORE it causes problems. I upload all my flight records now. THANKS Healthydrones!!!! You rock Eran!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic