Headplay HD Goggles

Reaction score
I just got my Headplay HD goggles but can't use them with my glasses, even through the lower bifocal portion. The display isn't in focus through the bifocal unless I'm about 6" back away from normal viewing position. I've tried the alternate fensel lens but thats even worse, going the wrong direction.

I'm 55yrs old with the typical degrading focal depth, I had perfect vision up until about 40, at which time I started losing focus up close. My eye doctor says I'm normal for my age. So I'm wondering if everyone else my age out there is experiencing the same problem with these headplay goggles.

It seems like the lenses aren't right for my age group. I've used fatshark goggles without my glasses and somehow I can focus ok, not sure how. But these headplay aren't as forgiving.

The display in these headplay goggles it's incredible if only I could figure out the right lens combination.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Reactions: Farmer
I just got my Headplay HD goggles but can't use them with my glasses, even through the lower bifocal portion. The display isn't in focus through the bifocal unless I'm about 6" back away from normal viewing position. I've tried the alternate fensel lens but thats even worse, going the wrong direction.

I'm 55yrs old with the typical degrading focal depth, I had perfect vision up until about 40, at which time I started losing focus up close. My eye doctor says I'm normal for my age. So I'm wondering if everyone else my age out there is experiencing the same problem with these headplay goggles.

It seems like the lenses aren't right for my age group. I've used fatshark goggles without my glasses and somehow I can focus ok, not sure how. But these headplay aren't as forgiving.

The display in these headplay goggles it's incredible if only I could figure out the right lens combination.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

I am 46 and have the same issue you do. I own HPHD's and cannot focus on the screen without holding the goggles about a foot from my face. I ended up modding mine to hold a pair of cheap reading glasses (cheaters) in the opening so I can slide them up and down off my face without having to re-position glasses every time.

Also, the live feed quality on the P3A using the HDMI board out to the Headplays is not very good, especially outdoors in complex details like trees and shrubs. Very blurry/pixelated areas that you don't see when using a smaller device like an iPhone 6. I started a blog thread over on RCG about my blurry LB feed issue, hoping to find a solution.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2507207&page=1

Reactions: Farmer
After a couple weeks of searching I finally found a optical correction solution for my old eyes. The maximum reader prescription available is 3.0 magnification, this isn't enough for my focal length. So I took some 2.5X diving mask cheater lenses that I had and glued them on the inside of 3.0 readers, two layers of magnification. This double lens is equivalent to about a 5.5 magnification. These diving cheater bifocal lenses are available at most diving shops or Amazon, available in different power ratings. They come with a glue that allows them to be installed in the lower part of the diving mask, adequate to read the gauges to dive. However, if they are installed on the inside of cheap Costco 3X reader glasses, I can now focus on the screen inside the Headplay goggles, when using the 330 Fresnel lens, the most powerful lens option that comes with the Headplay goggles. For my eyes, this combination seems to work perfect with my eyes, testing indoors with no props.

I did have trouble installing the lenses. The lens kit from the dive shop came with a special glue that's difficult to work with. After multiple tries I decided to abandon that glue and use clear silicon glue, using only a small drop on the two corners of each lens. Since this application isn't going underwater this installation method should work fine unless I mishandle the readers somehow. Hope this helps others, it wasn't easy figuring this out.

Now, I need to go fly to see if I'm going to see poor video images from the Headplay display due to the lack of data speed everyone is talking about. I'm not optimistic. After all this time waiting for my Headplay goggles, and then figuring out the optics to focus, now comes the real test..... flying it FPV.

Last edited:
So this weekend I tried my optical kludge setup and it works for my eye prescription. On top of that.... I'm not seeing the image degradation others are reporting with their Headplay HDs and P3 HDMI output. I guess I'm lucky with my HDMI kit, seems to work great with my Headplay goggles. I'm stoked.

Last edited:
Just got mine today and having the same issues. To make it worse I wear mono vision contacts which is where my left eye is prescribed for reading the right eye for distance. I tried my prescription reading glasses to no avail.

Just got mine today and having the same issues. To make it worse I wear mono vision contacts which is where my left eye is prescribed for reading the right eye for distance. I tried my prescription reading glasses to no avail.
Try this. Remove the Fresnel lens in the Headplay goggle and use this clip on lens from Carson, +4 diopler, $9. Tie wrap the Carson clip-ons to your normal power reading glasses.

If your reading glasses frames are less than 5.25" wide they should fit inside the HP goggle comfortably (you may need to trim the inside of the goggle Styrofoam a little). This setup works good for me. I normally use +3 reading glasses at my computer, and attaching the +4 clip-ons to my readers work great with the Fresnel lens removed. Optionally you can mount the Carson lens this way in the Headplay.

I also tried the RHO lens from Germany to replace the Fresnel lens. That's an expensive ($44) high quality lens, but it didn't have enough magnification, not to mention the mounting method they suggested inside the goggle was a bit Mickey Mouse. I don't like things Mickey Mouse, so I made a custom frame out of modeling brass material to hold the lens in place. The frame worked good (2hr fab job), but my normal readers were not enough magnification to make the screen in focus. So I tried the Carson alternative, a tip from another forum member.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic