Heading through the clouds?

Reaction score
Just watching ( youTube) Stefan Ekstam flying a DJI F550 above cloud - time to descend - it stays there! He flips to fail-safe.... its not working! Battery running out now... then he points it towards a park to land in trees rather than risk hitting people or property. It was wrecked!
A few days ago... I watched a guy with his Phantom 3 do the same .... up above clouds - it ignored the descend signals... and stayed there! Eventually it started to descend- went back up of its own choice until it lost control.... falling for a short time... the motors kicked in again - and again he got it down - but no longer looking new.

I ask.. would anybody stand near their Phantom ( or any other make) with its motors running and then use a garden hose to spray a fine mist of water all over it for a few minutes?
I doubt it.... but flying through cloud is basically doing just that! Clouds are not nice fluffy dry stuff floating around.... they are water particles and maybe a little collected dust.
I am no expert but I am sure I read somewhere that there is also a lot of static build up around some if not all types of cloud.
The above said.... I also saw a vid of Syma X8C going above cloud and and although seeming to have decent issues... ( no FPV vid) it come down under control.
IMO - the bodies of all quads are not not water tight and if misted water - no matter how fine the particles - gets in among the electric bits.. water and electric do not mix well!

On another thread - http://www.amazon.com/Corel-VideoSt...39687139&sr=8-1&keywords=corel+videostudio+x7 - a Syma X8C is sent around 150 metres high - and had trouble coming down...watch the vids- but my thoughts are... its an Asian country - high humidity and... rising air. Forgot my para gliding basics - clouds are a separation point - under which there is rising air.

Maybe this factor is why the DJI's and other s have issues going into cloud?? This and water being sprayed on the internal components...

Has this happened to you?

Last edited:
Flying through clouds is irresponsible and reckless. These things are not manned aircraft and have no strobes, transponders nor positive control via ATC. This is the moronic behavior putting USA UAV flyers on FOX and CNN.

Flying through clouds is irresponsible and reckless. These things are not manned aircraft and have no strobes, transponders nor positive control via ATC. This is the moronic behavior putting USA UAV flyers on FOX and CNN.

But still.... it happens as the vids on youTube clearly show. Maybe if operators/pilots realize the additional danger of flying into a floating lake..... they may decide not risk there gear and fly a little closer to Terra Firma!

But still.... it happens as the vids on youTube clearly show. Maybe if operators/pilots realize the additional danger of flying into a floating lake..... they may decide not risk there gear and fly a little closer to Terra Firma!
Yes, unfortunately the skies are full of knuckleheads. Your advice is very sensible.

Reactions: Quadcopter102
On this subject of water in clouds... there are also posts of birds landing in lakes, rivers etc,.

I remembered a product that appeared long ago... and did some searching...

Check this on youTube for "Waterproofing" or water repelling fluid.

I would not suggest actual water checks on a Phantom.... but maybe ald portable radio or TV would prove its worth!

Yeah, flying through clouds, even very low ones (mist/fog) is always a bad idea... I've done many a parachute jump and going through clouds gets you very wet indeed!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1