Heading Degree's what does it actually do?

Reaction score
I have not been able to really find any good or solid info on the heading setting for the ground station. I think a lot of us think and maybe its so that if you set a different heading than 0 or 360, that when set to 90 for example it would point the camera part 90's while still flying straight to its way points allow you to point the camera one way while it flies another.

Can anyone shed some light?

Ideally I would like to create a box around a building for example and have the camera point inwards in the box facing what Im flying around.

Anyone?

I just got my Phantom 2 ver2.0 this weekend and have hooked up my 2.4GHz Data Link and flew my first Waypoint mission using the iPad Ground Station app. I was expecting the nose of the drone and therefore the GoPro to face the direction of the Heading that I entered for each Waypoint.
Looking at the video from my test flight and reading a bit further on the internet, it looks like the Heading is only used at each Waypoint and only for the Hover Time that you enter and only when Stop & Turn is selected. This makes sense now that the drone doesn't fly to each Waypoint while pointing the nose at the Heading that is entered because when you select Banked Turn or Adaptive you no longer get the option of Heading.
It would be nice to have the drone point at a certain heading while it flew from one Waypoint to the next. Maybe that will come in future firmware.

It would be nice if you could draw a circle around an object and set it as a point of interest and have the aircraft automatically perform the flight while keeping the camera fixed to the point of interest.

loganboyd said:
I just got my Phantom 2 ver2.0 this weekend and have hooked up my 2.4GHz Data Link and flew my first Waypoint mission using the iPad Ground Station app. I was expecting the nose of the drone and therefore the GoPro to face the direction of the Heading that I entered for each Waypoint.
Looking at the video from my test flight and reading a bit further on the internet, it looks like the Heading is only used at each Waypoint and only for the Hover Time that you enter and only when Stop & Turn is selected. This makes sense now that the drone doesn't fly to each Waypoint while pointing the nose at the Heading that is entered because when you select Banked Turn or Adaptive you no longer get the option of Heading.
It would be nice to have the drone point at a certain heading while it flew from one Waypoint to the next. Maybe that will come in future firmware.

this is exactly what i wanted to know...

example i want to have camera face forward towards race track while flying sideways the entire length of race track (picture a drag strip with cars racing the length of track). this is the only reason why i would purchase the ground station, if this cannot be done then I'm lost as to what the purpose of the ground station is... :?:

You are correct. This CANNOT be done. The combination of Heading and Hover Time determines which direction it will face once it arrives at that waypoint and for how long it will face that direction.
Maybe future up firmware will give this option

I'm sure DJI can make a firmware update that would allow for a point of interest and have the aircraft fly around a circle facing camera in for the POI camera shot. There was a video on this forum that I cannot find anymore of a competitor that had such a ground station feature. It can be done, just wish DJI would offer it.

loganboyd said:
You can kind of accomplish the same thing by using the HomeLock IOC setting, dynamic home point and slowly yawing :) Requires some practice though.

id have to see a video of what you mean... this would only work around you the person holding the controller...am i understanding properly?

That's why I said DYNAMIC home point. You would fly directly above the object you want to circle and use the S2 switch to set a new home point. Home Point does not record an Altitude, only a Lat and Long. Then you would fly away from the object to the distance you want, adjust the altitude that you want, put S2 into HomeLock mode and then push your stick right or left to fly in a circle while using your YAW stick to slowly adjust the nose of the drone to remain pointing at the object.
check out this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYVyRVGE-8

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4