HDMI Module Issues on P4

Reaction score
Hello phantom enthusiasts. I originally got into the Phantom world around the time the PV2+ was the latest and best option there was. I had my fair share of issues with that, including a fly away, but the bird was eventually returned to me. I put that on ice for a few years, then after pressure from the family, bought a Phantom 4 (and donated my at that point 2 PV2+s to my cousin).

The Phantom 4 has been a pleasure to operate -- the software updates and new options are wonderful. After owning the P4 for a few months, the natural progression was to purchase some Fatshark Dominator FPV goggles. I also purchased and installed the HDMI module as was necessary for the HDMI output to use said goggles. I had to upgrade the firmware after the install of the module. The upgrade failed and I was left with the dreaded "deserializer disconnected error". I could still fly the bird, but the image on my tablet was grossly distorted and pixelated. The video and pictures would record to the memory cord without issue.

After contacting DJI support, I shipped the drone, controller and HDMI module back for repair. I was sent a new P4 drone and controller with an installed HDMI module. I say new because my FAA registration number was no longer attached to the bird, the warning stickers by the motors were in place as was the little shield sticker on the gimble. Also, my controller which I had installed labels on was completely wiped clean. I was given no additional info from DJI in the return box.

I assumed all was good, so I fired up the bird, the controller and the app. I had to upgrade the firmware of the bird and the controller. The upgrade process worked flawlessly. I've checked, double-checked and rechecked and my firmware is all up to date, success! My initial start up of the drone, controller and app only resulted in one minor distortion, which I deemed acceptable. Since that first flight, I have had nothing but excessive distortion and basically a total inability to view any useful images or videos on the mobile device app.

My current mobile device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab E, which is currently my only main option. I just "borrowed" an Apple iPad from work and downloaded the DJI GO app, but I don't have a cable USB cable for an Apple product. I've ordered one, it will be here in two days. I'm hopeful a new device will solve the problem.

I'm more than frustrated at this point. Even while I was having the issue with the firmware upgrade, if I switched back to the original USB module on the back of the controller, the pixelation issue went away. The warning to upgrade the firmware also went away too.

Bottom line, I have a P4 with less than 5 hours of flight time, I have FPV goggles (which work fine), but I have a video issue that renders all components non-usable. I'm wondering what others have experienced, using the P4 and FPV goggles (or more accurately, just installing the HDMI module). It is not the FPV goggles themselves that cause the issue, as the pixelation occurs with and without the goggles attached. Note, the view within the goggles has only minor distortion and it occurs seldom. I should not have to switch out the HDMI module just to use the goggles.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible DJI just reinstalled the HDMI module I sent them, and that is the issue, not the other components? I'd hate like hell to have to contact DJI support again (which in all reality was not a bad experience) and have to ship the drone back. I'd also like to NOT have to buy a new mobile device, assuming using the iPad would solve the issue.

I'm appealing to the more experienced for some advice on this issue.

Regards,

cmt56ss

The issue is likely being caused by your mobile device. The Samsung Galaxy Tab E is one of the slowest devices in the list of commonly used devices. Swapping out your device for one of the recommended devices in that list should quickly confirm/deny that.

If you haven't attempted to do so already, there are things you can do in the Android OS to make it run more smoothly. Check out this post and the other posts throughout that thread for tweaks you can try.

Hello phantom enthusiasts. I originally got into the Phantom world around the time the PV2+ was the latest and best option there was. I had my fair share of issues with that, including a fly away, but the bird was eventually returned to me. I put that on ice for a few years, then after pressure from the family, bought a Phantom 4 (and donated my at that point 2 PV2+s to my cousin).

The Phantom 4 has been a pleasure to operate -- the software updates and new options are wonderful. After owning the P4 for a few months, the natural progression was to purchase some Fatshark Dominator FPV goggles. I also purchased and installed the HDMI module as was necessary for the HDMI output to use said goggles. I had to upgrade the firmware after the install of the module. The upgrade failed and I was left with the dreaded "deserializer disconnected error". I could still fly the bird, but the image on my tablet was grossly distorted and pixelated. The video and pictures would record to the memory cord without issue.

After contacting DJI support, I shipped the drone, controller and HDMI module back for repair. I was sent a new P4 drone and controller with an installed HDMI module. I say new because my FAA registration number was no longer attached to the bird, the warning stickers by the motors were in place as was the little shield sticker on the gimble. Also, my controller which I had installed labels on was completely wiped clean. I was given no additional info from DJI in the return box.

I assumed all was good, so I fired up the bird, the controller and the app. I had to upgrade the firmware of the bird and the controller. The upgrade process worked flawlessly. I've checked, double-checked and rechecked and my firmware is all up to date, success! My initial start up of the drone, controller and app only resulted in one minor distortion, which I deemed acceptable. Since that first flight, I have had nothing but excessive distortion and basically a total inability to view any useful images or videos on the mobile device app.

My current mobile device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab E, which is currently my only main option. I just "borrowed" an Apple iPad from work and downloaded the DJI GO app, but I don't have a cable USB cable for an Apple product. I've ordered one, it will be here in two days. I'm hopeful a new device will solve the problem.

I'm more than frustrated at this point. Even while I was having the issue with the firmware upgrade, if I switched back to the original USB module on the back of the controller, the pixelation issue went away. The warning to upgrade the firmware also went away too.

Bottom line, I have a P4 with less than 5 hours of flight time, I have FPV goggles (which work fine), but I have a video issue that renders all components non-usable. I'm wondering what others have experienced, using the P4 and FPV goggles (or more accurately, just installing the HDMI module). It is not the FPV goggles themselves that cause the issue, as the pixelation occurs with and without the goggles attached. Note, the view within the goggles has only minor distortion and it occurs seldom. I should not have to switch out the HDMI module just to use the goggles.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible DJI just reinstalled the HDMI module I sent them, and that is the issue, not the other components? I'd hate like hell to have to contact DJI support again (which in all reality was not a bad experience) and have to ship the drone back. I'd also like to NOT have to buy a new mobile device, assuming using the iPad would solve the issue.

I'm appealing to the more experienced for some advice on this issue.

Regards,

cmt56ss

Hi

I'v had 'almost' exactly the same issue with the DJI Part 54 HDMI-module -for about 5 months ago,
After installing the module, the firmware was also updated -successfully-.

At first everything seems to be ok, as the fpv was fast and clear, for about 5 minutes after take-off, then the fpv begining to get minor distortions, and for about a minute later the fpv-screen on my phone (a LG G3 usb-micro) freeze totaly and disconnects.
Then I tested with a Cube T8 Ultimate+ pad (usb-micro), and the same issue happens (fpv working for about 5 min, then freezes/disconnects).
Then I'v tried with a miPad2 (usb-c) and nothing seems to work at all..(yes I activated usb-debugging..) :/
So it looks like (some?) android (v5.0) phones/tab's got problems with fpv-buffering by using the part54-module.

I'v also tested the hdmi-port to a laptop (using a hdmi -> TO -> USB unit) and at the same time using a android-unit.
Then the android unit freezes/disconnects "as usual", the hdmi-output to the laptop still shows good picture and no freezing -so maybe your googles is good:)

Then I replaced the part54 with the original module (part with only micro-usb and usb-A), and the fpv went good again (tested several 20+ min flights with no issues/freezing) on both my phone and the T8+ miPad.
There was no issues because of the (now "wrong") firmware-update (for part 54 / transmitter) either.

Anyway, recently I did the july2017 firmware update, both on the P4 and the transmitter, and I bought me a *iPad mini4* (with the best 15cm lightning-cable I could find :).
I then desided to give the part54 another try and installed it anew, and now the fpv seems to have NO freezing/disconnect anymore _with the iPad_.
Dough.., I'v tried with the CubeT8.. again, and that got even worse, while it now freezes/disconnects within a minute!

I'll guess this issue would not happen to newer android-phones/tabs (as 'msinger' states over here, ref. slower/older androids..), but I'll try to remember to give a feedback if I got the chance to test it with a newer android, or maybe others here have tested that -already :)

Regards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic