HD Signal Link Failed @ 6,000 ft distance

Reaction score
This evening I was flying my P4 of t over water. Calm winds, no obstructions, 100' altitude in P mode.

At approx. 6,200' distance the HD Video uplink gave me a warning of "weak signal" and I began to lose the picture my iPad mini. Since I was flying FPV I didn't want to lose picture so I turned around. GPS signal was strong with plenty of batt life so I could have gone further.

Any ideas as to why I'm losing my HD signal or recommendations to improve? Thx!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Orientation of the antennas on your remote are a big deal. I'm not sure how experienced you are but that's incredibly important as you get out.

Thanks! What is the proper orientation? Didn't see that in manual.

Thanks! What is the proper orientation? Didn't see that in manual.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1459090714.736997.jpg

4 things I suggest:
1. Make sure you're "Transmission Quality" is set to 4mbps. Click the HD icon in the upper right area of the screen, look for the Transmission Quality slider bar.
2. Buy a 3D printed windsurfer setup for your antennas. You can slip those directional antenna reflectors on your antennas when going longer distances to get better connection. Other directional antenna mods work a little better (DBS or FPVLR), but cost more, they are more bulky to store and void the radio warranty.
3. If you're setting the RC channel manually, check that before each flight to insure your channel has little activity. Optionally you can use auto select of channel if you don't want to use manual setting, that usually works OK (default setting from factory).
4. Consider implementing the "channel hack" into your Go app. That provides 32 channels (instead of only 8) so you can find frequencies with less interference. The auto mode will not select these extra 24 channels so you'll need to set the channel manually with each flight, based on the level of activity you see in the screen in the flight area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Master
Thanks for the advice ... much appreciated! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20