Hawaii Vacation Reel- Lava Flow, Shark Dive, Aerial Footage

Re: Hawaii Vacation Reel- Lava Flow, Shark Dive, Aerial Foot

Nice video, great tunes and I love the zip line shot toward the end with the waterfall in the background. Honeymoon?

I think a girl in a bikini may have photo bombed this video...I really didn't notice her too much, not like she's a distraction or anything.

Great video, love the big Island!

Beautiful!!

Your vids of Mauna Kea make me want to go back to the big island. That is my favorite site to go to. Brings back memory driving all the to the top unpaved roads in a non 4 wheel rental car. Almost fainted up there being that far up until I let a cig and felt better.

Haven't flown near Chinamans hat like you did. Want to get a close up of that some day.

sdtrojan said:
Nice video, great tunes and I love the zip line shot toward the end with the waterfall in the background. Honeymoon?

I think a girl in a bikini may have photo bombed this video...I really didn't notice her too much, not like she's a distraction or anything.

Great video, love the big Island!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the video. That zip line was a ton of fun, we arrived at the zip line tour and were told we were the only ones booked for the last tour of the day. I immediately asked the guides if I could bring the quad with me, they were all about it had a blast filming those shots. In retrospect on the last large zip line course over the waterfall I should have held the phantom with the gimbal powered on would have got a much steadier shot opposed to just holding the GoPro in my hand..

Yes my fiancé photobombed the hell out of this video, but hey at the end of the day mix in some aerial shots with a chick in a bikini ...why not

Jpooner808 said:
Beautiful!!

Your vids of Mauna Kea make me want to go back to the big island. That is my favorite site to go to. Brings back memory driving all the to the top unpaved roads in a non 4 wheel rental car. Almost fainted up there being that far up until I let a cig and felt better.

Haven't flown near Chinamans hat like you did. Want to get a close up of that some day.

Thanks !! Glad you enjoyed the video.. Had a major issue flying up at Mauna Kea, you might have noticed the shot were I had to catch the bird out of the air abruptly. It was odd, flew fine for 2 minutes then I lost all upward thrust. Could not get her to fly any higher than 50ft then she started to come down fast.. I think it has to do with the thin air as the summit I believe is roughly 14,000ft up.

That was my 3rd ride up to Mauna Kea, Never done it in 4 wheel drive only in shitty small rental cars. White Knuckle it like a boss !! I love how all the 4 wheel drive cars you pass look at you like you are crazy !!

I should have flown all the way to chinamans hat and circled back, BUT the fiancé was dancing around the beach in a bikini and didn't care that I was filming sooo... #Priorities ..

I agree, bikinis always make a video more appealing. She seems like a lot of fun, love the car shots!

sdtrojan said:
I agree, bikinis always make a video more appealing. She seems like a lot of fun, love the car shots!

HAHAHA generally Bikinis make everything better. She was a good sport but, I will admit though after about the 10th day of me pulling over the car at least 5 times a day to fly the phantom got to her eventually... Once she viewed the video though she was happy that we have something to show the kids when they grow up and say mommy and daddy are lame and do not do anything cool

Mholz said:
Jpooner808 said:
Thanks !! Glad you enjoyed the video.. Had a major issue flying up at Mauna Kea, you might have noticed the shot were I had to catch the bird out of the air abruptly. It was odd, flew fine for 2 minutes then I lost all upward thrust. Could not get her to fly any higher than 50ft then she started to come down fast.. I think it has to do with the thin air as the summit I believe is roughly 14,000ft up.

What the hell is with this? The same thing happened to me four separate times at 14,000 ft. here in Colorado. Flying fine then suddenly she just drops! If you figure it out let me know. I've heard lots of theories but none of them make sense to me. Overheated motors - checked with digital therm = no problem. VRS = I was flying laterally each time. Thin air = why didn't it affect me immediately, not after several minutes? I don't want to steal your thread, just pondering...

Silverminer said:
Mholz said:
Jpooner808 said:

What the hell is with this? The same thing happened to me four separate times at 14,000 ft. here in Colorado. Flying fine then suddenly she just drops! If you figure it out let me know. I've heard lots of theories but none of them make sense to me. Overheated motors - checked with digital therm = no problem. VRS = I was flying laterally each time. Thin air = why didn't it affect me immediately, not after several minutes? I don't want to steal your thread, just pondering...

Steal away man cause I was just as perplexed as you are and it was annoying as hell. I was so looking forward to filming there, walked around to scope out some shots etc, waited for the ranger to make his rounds and head back down.. Put the bird in the air and she started acting funky after like 3 mins. Needless to say I was rather disappointed

Jpooner808 said:
Steal away man cause I was just as perplexed as you are and it was annoying as hell.

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 890

Beautiful shots!! I've only been to the Big Island once as a kid so it's nice too see here.
If I may ask, what settings do you use on your 3+? I just got one recently and I'm trying to figure out how to get a sharper picture from it.

Molokai said:
Beautiful shots!! I've only been to the Big Island once as a kid so it's nice too see here.
If I may ask, what settings do you use on your 3+? I just got one recently and I'm trying to figure out how to get a sharper picture from it.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the video. All shots filmed underwater and on the land were shot 1080 30fps. All the phantom shots were shot 2.7k. Everything was edited in GoPro Studio surprisingly enough. Hope this info helps

Great Vid and better vacations. Really enjoyed it all. Were the rotisserie marshmallows well done?

phantomi said:
Great Vid and better vacations. Really enjoyed it all. Were the rotisserie marshmallows well done?

HAHA Could not resist making Lava S'mores, needless to say they were Well Done.. The lava was so hot that you could not stand within a few feet for more than a second or so. In this attached photo I jumped in the shot snapped the pic and jumped away from the lava. It was so hot that I burnt my leg hair off of my right leg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 409

A very creative movie. Well done! I really liked the way you blended the different scenes together.
Thanks for sharing and oh yes, your lady (wife?) was a great stand in!

oliver said:
A very creative movie. Well done! I really liked the way you blended the different scenes together.
Thanks for sharing and oh yes, your lady (wife?) was a great stand in!

Thank you, glad you enjoyed the video. Yes that is my fiancé in the video we were on vacation last month in Hawaii, decided to bring the bird and the GoPro..Happy I did !!

Mholz said:
Molokai said:

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the video. All shots filmed underwater and on the land were shot 1080 30fps. All the phantom shots were shot 2.7k. Everything was edited in GoPro Studio surprisingly enough. Hope this info helps

Thanks!

As for your video, I can only give it a 9.9 out of 10, because I wasn't there. That's about all the criticism I can come up with. Way cool. Nice variety and no crap. Life is good. :cool:

I'm gonna hijack your thread a bit ;)
On to more serious stuff, like trying to fly at high altitudes. Which Phantom are you flying?

100% of my flight time has been between 4,500 and 8,000 feet msl. I may not know diddlie, but, batteries need to be able to keep up with the draw of the motors. Yes, no, maybe?

I'm betting DJI batteries aren't designed to discharge at the rate required for flights above 10,000 feet. Hence we encounter an anomaly. I'm flying the FC40 so I have choices. When I fly at 8,000 ft with a 10c discharge battery, I have to wait for the battery to catch up. In other words, if I take off and climb vertically at a high rate, I will almost immediately get a red light flashing on the FC40 which indicates low battery. If I ease up a bit on the throttle, I will get flashing green, indicating the battery is not low and I can continue to fly with that battery for another 5 minutes or so. 5 to 6 minutes is all I typically get at 8,000 feet with the way the bird is loaded. My flight time is almost twice that at 4,500 feet.

If I fly with a 35c discharge battery at altitudes up to 8,000 feet, it flies till the battery is drained without hesitation or an early indication of a low battery. I could probably get an early indication of a low battery without too much difficulty at 10,000 feet or more. That’s just speculation though.

Maybe I’ll find a 50c discharge battery and climb a mountain so I can test this theory.

IflyinWY said:
As for your video, I can only give it a 9.9 out of 10, because I wasn't there. That's about all the criticism I can come up with. Way cool. Nice variety and no crap. Life is good. :cool:

I'm gonna hijack your thread a bit ;)
On to more serious stuff, like trying to fly at high altitudes. Which Phantom are you flying?

100% of my flight time has been between 4,500 and 8,000 feet msl. I may not know diddlie, but, batteries need to be able to keep up with the draw of the motors. Yes, no, maybe?

I'm betting DJI batteries aren't designed to discharge at the rate required for flights above 10,000 feet. Hence we encounter an anomaly. I'm flying the FC40 so I have choices. When I fly at 8,000 ft with a 10c discharge battery, I have to wait for the battery to catch up. In other words, if I take off and climb vertically at a high rate, I will almost immediately get a red light flashing on the FC40 which indicates low battery. If I ease up a bit on the throttle, I will get flashing green, indicating the battery is not low and I can continue to fly with that battery for another 5 minutes or so. 5 to 6 minutes is all I typically get at 8,000 feet with the way the bird is loaded. My flight time is almost twice that at 4,500 feet.

If I fly with a 35c discharge battery at altitudes up to 8,000 feet, it flies till the battery is drained without hesitation or an early indication of a low battery. I could probably get an early indication of a low battery without too much difficulty at 10,000 feet or more. That’s just speculation though.

Maybe I’ll find a 50c discharge battery and climb a mountain so I can test this theory.

HAHAHA I do not know DIDDLIE either, but sounds like this could be the case. I am flying a P2 (1st version) with Gopro 3+, the battery theory sounds like a fair assumption, I am lucky I noticed it acting funky and ran over to hand catch it before disaster.

Thanks for the 9.9 outta 10 !! Loved filming in Hawaii it was a blast..

Erotic Panda said:
IflyinWY said:

Counterpoint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36zaPVdvzQs

Watch what happens at the 4:26 mark on that Everest Link, He says "crashing" as the bird drops like a rock. Looks like he started to bring her back low and fast not gaining anymore lift. I experienced the same at Mauna Kea summit, I was flying it fine for a very short period and then she started to rapidly loose altitude so I ran over and hand caught it before it slammed the ground. Also in that video he is flying a P1 and I have a P2 not sure if that matters considering the same high altitude experience happened to both ..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl