Haw River N.C. under canopy run. About 1400ft.

Reaction score

This was really fun! I had a previous sorta close call in the area in open air space with a local helicopter. Wasnt really off the ground yet but about 5 secs from takeoff when i heard a heli coming. The guy did a maverick top gun style flyby of the bridge going down river and was literally no higher than 150 agl i could see his headset and red polo shirt. Kinda really shook my nerves as i was about to fly my p4 obsidian plus. Lol Called the local airport just to make them aware. But figured next time i would make a low run. Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited:
Haha we have esp! It really surprised me with the distance through all trees! I was waiting for a rth and for it to shoot up. Thats why i tried to keep it in the middle. In case it did. Pushed the limits for sure!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Nice trip along the river and sure beats walking.
I too was waiting for the fisherman, walker, bigfoot to pop out of the bush :rolleyes: seems we're never satisfied.
Really nicely done.

Reactions: Phoenix One
Your too kind thanks mate! I bet you have a good chance of seeing something wild out your way as well. All i got was the heron. Maybe with flir we could hunt bigfoot down lol. I did actually get pretty close to a group of about 15 or 20 deer playing and frolicking was going to post it but its a little grainy as it was getting late and auto focus killed it for me..

Well I use the P4 when I have to chase the goats from next store and head them back. Seems the M2P doesn't have the same amount of noise.
Looks like I gotta lot of practice until I'm game to send mine down river like you did.

Sounds like a pretty good job for it! I think I just got lucky but tried to keep it down the middle you know LOL thank you!

Great job Phoenix,
I regularly fly the Haw between Old Glencoe and Shallow Ford canoe launches. (Burlington) I see more tubers and kayakers than fisherman. One sighting of Bigfoot.... ;-)

Great job Phoenix,
I regularly fly the Haw between Old Glencoe and Shallow Ford canoe launches. (Burlington) I see more tubers and kayakers than fisherman. One sighting of Bigfoot.... ;-)
No way your from out my way? Thats awesome! If you ever want to get together and fly let me know. Id love too! The haw river is one of the main spots to fly here as there are so many different places to film from i like going to saxamaphaw but lots of other good spots i havent explored yet. Im going flying today matter of fact. Definitely keep in touch! Thanks again for the support!

I love flying my drones. I have done the river thing. In the editing, the powers lines I never saw put fear in me. I have a problem with NC. I have gotten a bad fever there in 1983. When I am in NC. my fever gets the best of me. I get out my sleuth, pans, detector and head for the creek. I can't help myself. I neglect family, eating, personal hygiene and don't want anybody bothering me, except other prospector. I get totally out of control and don't really care.

Haha getting back to your roots?! Pun intended lol but yes its beautiful here and me and my buddy where just talking about getting out the metal detector!

There is a place where there was a alluvial bed of gold on a hill top. They used explosives' to get the gold near the surface in the 1800's. Then they would gather up the nuggets, some weighting up to 16 lbs . Wonder if they found it all. They never find it all. I go on private land to metal detect a Civil War battle field and I'm still pulling things out of it. They didn't have metal detectors. I looked at the knob, but didn't have time to ask permission from the farmer to detect it. I also got a topo map and tried to figure the course of that stream across the other hill tops. I've read history and marked every location of every mine in Uwharrie. I had a place, I would go to NW of Goldhill that was good, but the old farmer died. He had 3 tunnel mines on his property that I loved playing in. Just to touch the walls made me feel good. Oh, am I off topic? I'm not sorry.

That sounds like some really awesome memories and really fun adventures! I wonder how we can incorporate metal detecting and drones ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20