Having trouble getting a clear FPV video signal

Reaction score
I just installed my transmitter(DJI) and iOSD on my Phantom 2 using RaveCreative's diagram. I took my time and carefully followed it. Unfortunately, I'm still not getting a picture from the GoPro to my monitor. The iOSD seems to be working fine, but I'm seeing just a gray static like picture on the LCD. It must be getting something as it switches from the blue screen to gray when the Phantom is powered on. Is there a cable that needs to be attached to the camera? Any ideas of what could be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

No, I do not have a cable coming out of the GoPro right now. I assumed the video signal would be routed from the gimbal somehow. Does anyone have a recommendation of a cable they use?

On my phantom 2 I did not need a cable running from the camera usb. I just soldered the iOSD mini and wireless transmitter in a circuit that uses the four brown/yellow wires that come out of the phantom 2 body. I imagine that is what you did as well, and assuming that you have hooked that up correctly, it may be that you just need to select a different channel on your monitor. My monitor has 8 channels and only one works well for video feed.

Thanks Coues, that's what I was thinking. The monitor I have (cheapo China one) is supposed to have 8 channels as well, matching the TX's. But on the back there are up/down switches that are numbered 1-4. I flipped through them but still didn't see a picture from the GoPro. Is there a way to switch the channel on the transmitter? After looking at it I'm not sure how it works.

If you're seeing the iOSD data on your monitor, the receiver and transmitter are working correctly and on the proper channel.

What gimbal are you using exactly?

Good point Ol.....it would seem if he sees the iosd display that he has a decent channel selected.

Yes, you can change the channels on the transmitter....go to dji phantom and search the phantom 2 page for tech support downloads and there is a manual for the dji transmitter which shows how to change channels. But it's easier to just change the channels on the monitor and see what works best.

Also, if you look in either the transmitter or the iosd manual on the dji phantom 2 page, there is a diagram about how to wire them all together. Maybe double check your wiring config.

Yes, the camera was turned on & no lens cap. I've switched through all the channels on the monitor as well. Using the gimbal that shipped with the B&H Phantom + Gimbal combo. I was hoping there would be something obvious that I haven't done. I'm officially stumped.

Not sure which GoPro you have but you may need to go to the menu and set the camera for video output. On the earlier models the menu setting was LFO (Live Feed On)

It sounds like you have DJI's Zenmuse gimbal. The video signal is fed through the camera mount to the board, but then you'll need to get that to the OSD. If B&H set it up, they should have connected all that for you already...I'd call them up and explain there's no video feed from the camera to the OSD based on the symptoms you see. B&H has a great service dept and policy, I'm sure they can give you a hand getting it working.

I ordered from B&H but they didn't install it. I looked through the GoPro's settings and didn't see anything for video output. Here's a few pictures to give you a better understanding of what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 405
One more idea is to check the video format selection on your monitor....maybe changing that will affect the output? It should give you an option of either PAL or NTSC format.

I figured it out. All the wiring was correct (thanks to Ravecreative for the detailed diagram) and everything is working A-OK now. I ended up just jiggling the cables a little bit and the picture came in. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

1grayweim said:
I figured it out. All the wiring was correct (thanks to Ravecreative for the detailed diagram) and everything is working A-OK now. I ended up just jiggling the cables a little bit and the picture came in. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Are you sure? Jiggling the cables...? Sorry I might sound sarcastic but I'm not, reason being I'm having the exact same issue! If it was just jiggling, I'll try that, if it was something more, please let me know.

Thanks.

It seemed to start working after I messed with the location of the iOSD mini. Maybe the harness cable was loose or something. I also had all of my soldered cables taped together using electrical tape to make it a bit cleaner. I've since removed that so all of the wires are independent.

1. Reseat all of your harness cables (Gimbal & both ends of iosd)
2. Make sure all firmware is updated
3. Use matching wireless channels on your monitor (default I believe is #1)
4. Turn GoPro on (obviously)
5. Double check your wires (I used Ravecreative's diagram & it worked)

Hope this helps

1grayweim said:
It seemed to start working after I messed with the location of the iOSD mini. Maybe the harness cable was loose or something. I also had all of my soldered cables taped together using electrical tape to make it a bit cleaner. I've since removed that so all of the wires are independent.

1. Reseat all of your harness cables (Gimbal & both ends of iosd)
2. Make sure all firmware is updated
3. Use matching wireless channels on your monitor (default I believe is #1)
4. Turn GoPro on (obviously)
5. Double check your wires (I used Ravecreative's diagram & it worked)

Hope this helps

Thanks, I will certainly give it a try when I get home tonight. I've also 'cable tied' my wires but will let them first hang loose to test.

WORKED FOR ME! Thanks for sharing. I'm feeling relieved now.

Awesome! I was very relieved as well when I got mine working. Had a huge feeling of accomplishment!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4