Haven't flown in a bit...nothing but problems.

Reaction score
Havent flown in a while, mostly because its been so windy here in Texas. Last night, gorgeous weather, sundown, had the family out back playing in the yard, decided to get the bird up. My P3 has been sitting on a shelf, battery installed for a month or two. Powered on the aircraft and had about half battery...fine, I just wanted to make a quick flight.

Everything is updated, still, 1.7 firmware, latest DJIGo, battery updated, controller updated, everything worked flawless last time I flew.

Power it all up and on my Android Nexus 7.2 DJIGo didnt open. Aircraft was ready, green light on controller, and could start the motors, but the app never connected, so I tried manually...still nothing. So I swapped USB cables. No go. Removed and re-installed the app...nothing.

Finally, was loosing daylight so attached my iPhone 6s Plus. It worked. Took off to a hover of about 25-30ft. Almost instantly got the dreadful "Critical Low Power, the Aircraft will land" message. This is scary as Sh!t. Luckily I wasnt over a neighbors home! So it forced landed.

I had this issue with 1.6 firware, and I was all to relieved that it was fixed with 1.7. So, maybe my battery is bad? Is it bad to leave the battery in the aircraft for storage? Im sure I had the battery charged up some time back.

2 issues...

1. DJIgo on my android 6.0.1 nexus 7 stopped connecting. Im hoping this is an android issue, and an update to the OS will fix it (trying this now). USB debug is off, has been.

2. Critical Low Power with firmware 1.7.

Soon as I get inside from a flight I release the battery so it does not stress the push springs on the battery contacts.

Reactions: dirtybum
Never be in hurry to fly out, check every thing calmly before flying. A small mistake can lead to losing the aircraft.

Ensure batteries are fully charged before attempting to fly.

Store the batteries not inside the bird with a 50-60% charge. When you schedule your next flight full charge them.

I charged it of coarse last night. Was not in a hurry, im pretty thorough before attempting to fly. I'll keep from storing the batteries in the aircraft...hope that was the issue with the battery. Ive flown many of time with a 50% charge without issues. Im hoping it was just the fact it had not had a full change in a long time.

As far as the DJI Go on my Nexus is concerned...It looks like its either the cable or USB port on the tablet. Looks like both cables I was using, one being the cable that came with the phantom had issues connecting my tablet to my PC for data transfer (this is how I tested it). I'll pick up a new cable today, batteries charged, and will do some test flights.

When checking the cell voltage from the app, what would be an indicator that the batter might be going bad?

Thanks all

When checking the cell voltage from the app, what would be an indicator that the batter might be going bad?
If you upload your flight logs here, you can see what each battery cell was doing throughout the entire flight. If any of the battery cells are out of balance for large portions of the flight or your battery does not hold a charge for the average flight time, then those could be indicators that the battery is ready to be replaced.

Generally, it's not a good idea to start a flight on a battery that is not fully charged. If you start flying on fully charged batteries from now on, you shouldn't run into a similar situation again.

I'm not sure mike is fully understanding the seriousness of flying on a partially charged battery. And the absolute disaster that can happen flying on a partially charged battery that has been sitting for even a few weeks. Just don't do it. Doesn't matter if it's been fine before. It's a known issue. You always always always fully charge before flight. Hope this helps clear things up

Flying without a Fully Charged battery is bad news!

OP says:

"... I had this issue with 1.6 firware, and I was all to relieved that it was fixed with 1.7. So, maybe my battery is bad? Is it bad to leave the battery in the aircraft for storage? Im sure I had the battery charged up some time back...."

"My P3 has been sitting on a shelf, battery installed for a month or two. Powered on the aircraft and had about half battery...fine, I just wanted to make a quick flight..."

"I charged it of coarse last night. Was not in a hurry, im pretty thorough before attempting to fly... "

while I am confused as to the charge status based upon conflicting info.
clearly the battery was the issue.........

"When checking the cell voltage from the app, what would be an indicator that the batter might be going bad?"

yes , set to view voltage in app and keep an eye on it,
'esp now until you see if battery is good to go after recharge etc.

good luck and have fun flying!

I think we're all confused here. Furthering the point these are complex machines and not toys. Very few people take the time to read the message boards. Keep up with the issues and then cry foul when something bad happens. Not saying that is the case with the OP. But spending some time reading about the phantom and the Do's and Don't's is never a bad thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers