Have you upgraded from P4 to P4P?

Reaction score
Just curious to see how many have come from the P4 community and upgraded to the P4P? I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread I'm just looking for a factual comparison. If this is you, can you speak about your experience...IE; Perceived pros and cons.

I'm considering purchasing a P4P to my but only if the camera is worth the premium. Im also going to wait a while until DJI comes out with a complete package (multiple batteries etc) also curious if camera filters are compatible between the two..Not really interested in all the sensor although I am certain they are really beneficial especially to new pilots.

Thanks in Advance and forgive me if this has been covered, I really didnt find much with a search.

Cheers.

I'm waiting until they work the initial IMU calibration bugs out of the P4P. Too many complaints about that and no response if it is firmware or some hardware matter where it might have to go in. So no rush here. Plus, I'd rather buy it locally since I might get a buggy one and need to exchange it the same day rather than deal with packing and RMAs to send it wherever and wait, and maybe for a refurb to show up.

Camera is definitely better over the P4: Better ISO with less noise, more stops range, adjustable f-stop so less need of filters (No, the filters will not fit between the two models.).

Not now. The P4 does every thing I want it to, and I believe most of the bugs have been worked out of it. I also, have spend a lot of time learning the P4. The price of the P4P will drop by this spring, and it is winter up here. So maybe then.

Reactions: Cale262
I'd consider it, but my observation is that early adopters of DJI technology tend to struggle a little bit more than some other technologies. The Phantom 4 is pretty good, and very functional. I can wait.

Very good question.

My current setup is a P3P and a P4, having said that what intend to do in the near future, once the P4P becomes available locally and bugs worked out, buy a P4P and a Mavic. Craiglist/EBay the P3P & P4, why do I want to do this?.
The specs of the camera on the P3P and the P4 are nearly identical, so that right there it is a bit redundant for me. The specs of the P4P camera are very attractive and very capable of capturing awesome photography.

Now the specs of the camera of the Mavic vs P3P and P4 are very close

Mavic:
SENSOR - 1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.35 M (Total pixels:12.71M)
LENS - FOV 78.8° 28 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.2
Distortion < 1.5% Focus from 0.5 m to ∞

P4:
SENSOR - 1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.4 M
LENS - FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at ∞

ISO RANGE, SHUTTER SPEED, IMAGE SIZE - is identical in the P4 and Mavic.

Mavic:
VIDEO RECORDING MODE: C4K: 4096×2160 24p
4K: 3840×2160 24/25/30p
2.7K: 2704×1520 24/25/30p
FHD: 1920×1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/96p
HD: 1280×720 24/25/30/48/50/60/120p

P4:
VIDEO RECORDING MODE: UHD: 4096×2160 (4K) 24 / 25p
3840×2160 (4K) 24 / 25 / 30p
2704×1520 (2.7K) 24 / 25 / 30p
FHD: 1920×1080 24 / 25 / 30 / 48 / 50 / 60 / 120p
HD: 1280×720 24 / 25 / 30 / 48 / 50 / 60p

By upgrading to the P4P and the Mavic I am looking for to have the best of both worlds within my budget.
A drone very capable of capturing awesome shots and video P4P, and a portable drone for those moments in life when portability is necessary.

When the P4P was first announced I placed an order, there was a problem processing the form of payment and glad it happened after reading all comments regarding the IMU calibration and other bugs posted in the forum.
What I am looking for is to buy both drones locally either at the Apple Store or Best Buys so that if there is an issue I can exchange same day if possible. The Mavic is already showing in Apple's website with a pickup date of Feb 1 at my local store, no rush I can wait.
I am so looking forward to this setup for 2017.

Here's a good comparison between the P4 and P4P:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very good question.

My current setup is a P3P and a P4, having said that what intend to do in the near future, once the P4P becomes available locally and bugs worked out, buy a P4P and a Mavic. Craiglist/EBay the P3P & P4, why do I want to do this?.
The specs of the camera on the P3P and the P4 are nearly identical, so that right there it is a bit redundant for me. The specs of the P4P camera are very attractive and very capable of capturing awesome photography.

Now the specs of the camera of the Mavic vs P3P and P4 are very close

Mavic:
SENSOR - 1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.35 M (Total pixels:12.71M)
LENS - FOV 78.8° 28 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.2
Distortion < 1.5% Focus from 0.5 m to ∞

P4:
SENSOR - 1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.4 M
LENS - FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at ∞

ISO RANGE, SHUTTER SPEED, IMAGE SIZE - is identical in the P4 and Mavic.

Mavic:
VIDEO RECORDING MODE: C4K: 4096×2160 24p
4K: 3840×2160 24/25/30p
2.7K: 2704×1520 24/25/30p
FHD: 1920×1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/96p
HD: 1280×720 24/25/30/48/50/60/120p

P4:
VIDEO RECORDING MODE: UHD: 4096×2160 (4K) 24 / 25p
3840×2160 (4K) 24 / 25 / 30p
2704×1520 (2.7K) 24 / 25 / 30p
FHD: 1920×1080 24 / 25 / 30 / 48 / 50 / 60 / 120p
HD: 1280×720 24 / 25 / 30 / 48 / 50 / 60p

By upgrading to the P4P and the Mavic I am looking for to have the best of both worlds within my budget.
A drone very capable of capturing awesome shots and video P4P, and a portable drone for those moments in life when portability is necessary.

When the P4P was first announced I placed an order, there was a problem processing the form of payment and glad it happened after reading all comments regarding the IMU calibration and other bugs posted in the forum.
What I am looking for is to buy both drones locally either at the Apple Store or Best Buys so that if there is an issue I can exchange same day if possible. The Mavic is already showing in Apple's website with a pickup date of Feb 1 at my local store, no rush I can wait.
I am so looking forward to this setup for 2017.
I admire your patience and will power. I'm in nearly exact same situation. I've got 2 P3P's and I could sell one in a heartbeat. The Mavic is perfect for places where I need to hike or climb to and the weight of the P3P pretty much makes that impossible in a case and close to impossible in a back pack. The P4P looks like a dream for a photographer with the added camera control so that would replace P3P #2. Ah but it's end of the year tax decision time (business write off), and Santa has a real itch to spend. Keep reading the threads every day but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Andrew

The P4 was my first drone, I have flown aircraft for a few years but decided to buy a drone and a P-4 I have had since March this year, I loved it but the only thing that I needed was a better camera even though the P-4 camera is very very good, as soon as the P-4 pro was advertised I had to have it.
I've never had a drone from the first launch and I guess the first the P4 owners had problems to, and after a few updates it was flying perfectly.

I have had my P4 pro since Monday I took it to my favourite spot in the middle of nowhere to set it up, I must've met that took the edge off it because of the problems with the IMU set up, I still decided to fly the drone which to be honest flew very well, was quite stable with a little bit of elevation on descent when stopping but that could've been the IMU problem.

I decided to fly the drone to a distance and at 1000 m it had signal loss so I flew the drone back to me, I then flew in the opposite direction and at 500 m I lost complete signal which I never had in the 137 flights I had with P-4 I decided not to touch any controls and it went in to return to home mode, as soon as the drone was in sight I took control and landed, needless to say that worried me a lot being a brand new expensive bit of kit.

I have decided not to fly until DJI have sorted out the problems with the DJ I go 4 firmware.

I have decided not to fly until DJI have sorted out the problems with the DJ I go 4 firmware.

This is the reason I would rather wait until all of the bugs of the P4P are worked out.
The Mavic is on order, sounds like by now a few bugs have been worked out.

When the Mavic arrives the P3P is going to Craiglist/Ebay, still leaving me with 2 drones, the Mavic and the P4.

The P4 was my first drone, I have flown aircraft for a few years but decided to buy a drone and a P-4 I have had since March this year, I loved it but the only thing that I needed was a better camera even though the P-4 camera is very very good, as soon as the P-4 pro was advertised I had to have it.
I've never had a drone from the first launch and I guess the first the P4 owners had problems to, and after a few updates it was flying perfectly.

I have had my P4 pro since Monday I took it to my favourite spot in the middle of nowhere to set it up, I must've met that took the edge off it because of the problems with the IMU set up, I still decided to fly the drone which to be honest flew very well, was quite stable with a little bit of elevation on descent when stopping but that could've been the IMU problem.

I decided to fly the drone to a distance and at 1000 m it had signal loss so I flew the drone back to me, I then flew in the opposite direction and at 500 m I lost complete signal which I never had in the 137 flights I had with P-4 I decided not to touch any controls and it went in to return to home mode, as soon as the drone was in sight I took control and landed, needless to say that worried me a lot being a brand new expensive bit of kit.

So you never did get the IMU calibrated before this flight??? And I am upgrading to the P4P on Tuesday btw. Not selling my P4 until I am sure the P4P is spot on.

I hear the range is a big problem on P4p, I just love flying far and It would be hard for me to sacrifice the camera vs range,
They say it's range is now 7 km , so why are you having a problem 1000 meters away, that seems ridiculous...
I would definitely love to upgrade, but 1000 meters range just does not work for me...

Reactions: hidaven
I hear the range is a big problem on P4p, I just love flying far and It would be hard for me to sacrifice the camera vs range,
They say it's range is now 7 km , so why are you having a problem 1000 meters away, that seems ridiculous...
I would definitely love to upgrade, but 1000 meters range just does not work for me...
Yeah the range issue is gonna bug me as well! If it is any worse than my reg P4 I will most likely return unless there is good info that updates will fix it. Then I would prob wait for P5 or go with Mavic. Still love my P4 a lot!!!

Yeah the range issue is gonna bug me as well! If it is any worse than my reg P4 I will most likely return unless there is good info that updates will fix it. Then I would prob wait for P5 or go with Mavic. Still love my P4 a lot!!!
Ditto. The poor range reports tick me off. Only a couple have had good luck with over 2mi. My P4 will do 2+mi almost anywhere. I was hoping to buy the P4P this month. This doesn't look like a rational decision now. I'm not convinced yet, but still hoping.

Ditto. The poor range reports tick me off. Only a couple have had good luck with over 2mi. My P4 will do 2+mi almost anywhere. I was hoping to buy the P4P this month. This doesn't look like a rational decision now. I'm not convinced yet, but still hoping.
agreed , I was thinking of getting the P4 on boxiing day lol for probably like 1300 bucks and buy the new P4P large capacity batteries , maybe flying over 30 minutes flight time ??? that would be cool...
I have now extra controller with DBS and P4 is still compatible with that controller as I currently only fly P3P

Yeah I've been out 2 miles once or twice with my P4. But I get transmission glitching at 1000ft or so at times because I live in a hilly area ect. But I sure was hoping they would really help the range a good deal on this new one. The camera is my main want but dang it needs to be as good as P4!!!

I hope I do not regret the decision to upgrade, my P3P and P4 fly flawlessly. I love the range I currently have in my setup.
Life is full of choices, I guess at some point I am going to have to decide camera vs range.

I may just sell the P3P and stick with the Mavic and the P4, again a bit redundant from the spec on the cameras stand point camera on both drones are very similar. Unless DJI comes up with a firmware upgrade to improve the range due to significant amount of returns and customer feedback.
The only reason I still want the Mavic is for portability, upgrading to the P4P and sacrifice the range is a decision I am going to have to make, hope it does not bite in my the a**.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
agreed , I was thinking of getting the P4 on boxiing day lol for probably like 1300 bucks and buy the new P4P large capacity batteries , maybe flying over 30 minutes flight time ??? that would be cool...
I have now extra controller with DBS and P4 is still compatible with that controller as I currently only fly P3P
Hopefully your P3P has a GL300B or GL300A controller, in which case you'll want to use that with your P4. The P4 controller (GL300C) is anemic, weaker than previous controllers. So yes, that's a good plan, however I have P4 and my videos or photos are the same as my P3P, they look good IMO. I do like the added flight time from the P4, and the clip on props. But it's not worth the extra money IMO if you already have a P3P. BTW, the new battery for P4P only provides another 2min flight time, so that's 24 to 26min. You won't get 30 if you land at 15%. I will be buying some of those batteries. An extra 2min is good to have.

Hopefully your P3P has a GL300B or GL300A controller, in which case you'll want to use that with your P4. The P4 controller (GL300C) is anemic, weaker than previous controllers. So yes, that's a good plan, however I have P4 and my videos or photos are the same as my P3P, they look good IMO. I do like the added flight time from the P4, and the clip on props. But it's not worth the extra money IMO if you already have a P3P. BTW, the new battery for P4P only provides another 2min flight time, so that's 24 to 26min. You won't get 30 if you land at 15%. I will be buying some of those batteries. An extra 2min is good to have.
Hey John, how much can you buy a GL300A or B for?? Are these from the Inspire and P3's?? Where should I look??

Hey John, how much can you buy a GL300A or B for?? Are these from the Inspire and P3's?? Where should I look??

6e7b76926f32a6ec53f4529ac1b09ee8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6e7b76926f32a6ec53f4529ac1b09ee8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does this mean hotashes? John has stated that these two controllers are more powerful than the GL300C that came withour reg P4's. I would prob buy one for my P4 if thats the case. So this was a message from UAV Max guy right? But what does it mean?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.