Have you tested Obstacle Avoidance (OA) in the Litchi app?

Reaction score
I just upgraded last night to latest firmware but I tried OA while flying in the Litchi app and it did not seem to work within 24" of a structure. I had asked Litchi on their FB page a few weeks ago as I was concerned about this and they said "in P mode, if enabled in DJI Go, yes". Well it does not seem to work for me and I have asked them again in FB. Has anyone else tried it?

Reactions: PaulJohn
Good question, was wondering the same thing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok so this is right from the Litchi manual. I guess no OA.

4. Will the aircraft avoid obstacles if there are any?

No, always be aware of your surroundings when using any of the autonomous flight modes, the aircraft will

not avoid obstacles should there be any.

I just upgraded last night to latest firmware but I tried OA while flying in the Litchi app and it did not seem to work within 24" of a structure. I had asked Litchi on their FB page a few weeks ago as I was concerned about this and they said "in P mode, if enabled in DJI Go, yes". Well it does not seem to work for me and I have asked them again in FB. Has anyone else tried it?

Apparently, it didn't work for me as well. I had my first P4 crash today and I am certain it was because the obstacle avoidance did NOT work. I created a flight plan which would take the drone down the length (over) a bridge. I thought I had the altitude high enough as I have flown this partially before. Although the recording was enabled the file was corrupted in the crash. Therefore, it is impossible for me to know for certain if the drone hit the bridge (which after looking at the flight plan from the website- is most likely the case) or if flew into a bird. Fortunately, the drone came down onto the bridge and not the river. Not finding any feathers or blood on the drone, I am thinking it hit the bridge. That being the case, proves that the obstacle avoidance does not work while using the litchi app. Lesson learned.

Object avoidance did not work for me. I had a 5m pathway programmed today that was not enough height to clear a tree top. The drone tried to avoid by pulling back but the program seemed to override the object avoidance and it crashed into the tree. Broke two propellers but the drone survived the 5 meter fall. I tried to override the program with manual controls when I could see the impending collision, but to no avail. Make sure you leave plenty of space with the mission paths!

Object avoidance did not work for me. I had a 5m pathway programmed today that was not enough height to clear a tree top. The drone tried to avoid by pulling back but the program seemed to override the object avoidance and it crashed into the tree. Broke two propellers but the drone survived the 5 meter fall. I tried to override the program with manual controls when I could see the impending collision, but to no avail. Make sure you leave plenty of space with the mission paths!

The only way to "over ride" the Litchi flight plan is to changes modes (toggling from P mode to S mode then back). Nonetheless, I advise no one to count on the obstacle avoidance system while using Litchi

Well, I am convinced, in spite of what some have said, the obstacle avoidance DOES NOT work with the Litchi app! I have had two crashes, both while using the Litchi app. The most recent was two weeks ago. I had mistakenly put in too low of an altitude in one waypoint that placed a tree in the Phantom 4 Pro's path. You guessed it, crashed into the tree. DJI rightfully stated user error and I will have to pay as "non-warranty" repair. Had the obstacle avoidance been working with the Litichi app, this crash would have been avoided.

Last edited:
I never counted on it anyway since most mission legs had the drone pointed other than the direction it was heading, making OA useless, just be careful of your mission planning. But I would have thought a P4Pro would avoid in any direction with all the sensors, this is good to know. Hope to hear others experience with P4P on this.

I watched a YouTube video of a Phantom sent on a Litchi mission, too low and it became hilarious as it encountered fences and a house, and managed to stumble it's way to completing the mission, thanks to OA.

Here is one that is similar.

I still don,t trust Litchi to fly more than carefully chosen waypoints. I did verify that a 2 waypoint mission set to RTH after a brief hold at waypoint 2, will go to its assigned RTH altitude and come back using the precision landing function.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4