Have you guys seen this ?

looks pretty cool I would just worry about the motor getting stuck when its up.. you would bust the props for sure if you had to land with only one skid.

They might work ok, but the problem is you wouldn't be able to control these and the pitch of a gimbal too, unless you changed to an aftermarket controller and receiver...the Phantom's stock hardware doesn't have enough channels for both.

madsonp said:
FASTFJR said:
First question........where does the compass go?

I've wonder this myself, is there any other place you can locate it to other than the leg ?

The orientation of the compass has to be exact. rotating the compass in any way affects flying in GPS mode when the phantom uses the calibrated compass compared to GPS locked coordinates to adjust it's location.

The most important part of the compass is that it is orientation is as if it were on a leg pointed in the exact same direction. Put it anywhere as long as it thinks this.

At least that is what I got from reading all the issues we have with compass, GPS , compass declination. LOL

PixelNinja said:
d4ddyo said:
The orientation of the compass has to be exact. rotating the compass in any way affects flying in GPS mode when the phantom uses the calibrated compass compared to GPS locked coordinates to adjust it's location.

In my experience there is much more latitude in compass orientation than many folks realize.

I use Simonsays mounts with CF legs and I can rotate the compass a surprising amount (unintentionally) and still fly fine.

p.s. The compass is also used in ATTI mode.

Read the threads on compass declination issues that DJI is now testing with beta testers on this forum. It does matter compass orientation. Yes the compass is used in ATT mode but the GPS is not. GPS uses both so when there is any discrepancies you have issues. As it stand in areas with compass declination issues (magnetic north vs true north)... the phantom is known to have toilet bowl effects and J hook over a distance equal to the compass declination in that area. after a while... half way into flight.. the phantom auto adjusts and flys correctly.

Some owners have resorted to rotating the compass equal to the compass declination and guess what... it flies straight... but after the phantom auto adjusts it reverse J hooks half way into the flight.

Check it out for yourself and read under "Fixing DJI's compass issue" and "beta testers requested to fix compass issue". maybe you are not in a high declination area but you are incorrect... the orientation of the compass on the leg is very important.

PixelNinja said:
d4ddyo said:
Check it out for yourself

I have.

See the post you replied to - especially this bit->

"In my experience there is much more latitude in compass orientation than many folks realize.

I use Simonsays mounts with CF legs and I can rotate the compass a surprising amount (unintentionally) and still fly fine."

i don't get it. Lattitude meaning "space for error?" Lattitude in terms of horizontal compass lines on a map? Are you agreeing with 100s of know issues with the compass and compass declination with the phantom or not? I don't get it.

PixelNinja said:
d4ddyo said:
Lattitude meaning "space for error?" .

Yup. That's my experience. The Simonsays compass mount can get knocked around and when it does it rotates on the leg.

I dunno. run the tests like we all did... where do you live?

The compass has 3 independent sensors representing 3 axis of movement or 6 degrees of freedom (6DOF). To gain an accurate magnetic heading, the arctangent of the X and Y sensors is used. Consider that to maintain an accurate magnetic heading while pitching and rolling, you need to compensate for tilt which incorporates all three sensor values and their calculated position in three planes as result of the tilt. So, move any of the compass sensors off axis and you are effectively throwing off the tilt compensation.

In other words, for accurate readings, the compass should be square to the vehicle. If it isn't, you will have more transient disagreement between the compass and GPS (i.e. when tilted). While this may not result in anything terrible, you increase your risk to an exceptional disagreement between compass and GPS which often results in fly away type behavior.

While a cool idea, no practical application for this until a 3d axis gimbal is available for the phantom (and not the new zenmuse 3d which only compensates for yaw).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The advantage of the retract leg would be in eliminating the very front left lower gear leg corner that is sometimes in the camera field of view depending on the attitude of the Phantom. They have taken one gear leg off and moved the other one from the side to the rear of the quad. I assume, in that situation the compass would be relocated in the same right rear leg location, just on the newly relocated gear leg.

The downside to the gear leg is the added weight. One leg is listed at 55 grams. The gross takeoff weight listed for the P2, less the empty weight is 300 grams. The total weight:

Zemuse 2 axis gimbel
DJI iOSD
DJI AVL58 VTX
DJI Cloverleaf Antenna
Gopro Black 3+

is 289 grams. That leaves 11 grams left over. Adding just one retractable gear leg, at 55 grams, ends up with the gross takeoff weight at 44 grams over the DJI gross takeoff weight specification. Without the FPV equipment (VTX, antenna,iOSD), the P2 would be within takeoff spec with one leg attached.

The variable here is what the weight of one original gear leg is.

I think the legs are the piss poor design here, any sort of harder landing is going to allow the thing fiber to bend and it will tip over.

And like has already been pointed out. To control them you need a different TX or lose Tilt... :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik