Have you ever....

Reaction score
If you haven't done it, I'm sure at some point you have probably thought about it. I'm talking about getting up on the roof of your house in an attempt to gain a better line of sight and/or a better signal for more distance.

1thumb-Flying.jpg

I have yet to do it but I do catch myself thinking about it more now then I ever did in the past. The more flights I make from my yard, they seem repetitious. I have either houses or tree's that keep me from having that nice clear open area to point the aircraft towards. I do have a couple semi open spots but of course they get kind old. Btw, I'm referring to when I do fly from my yard and not go somewhere else. I live in a small house edition away from the city. My back yard faces a ton of wildlife. So I don't have to fly over houses unless I choose to.

I forgot to mention my house is a two story which would get me up quite a bit. Now that I think of it, for anyone that is curious what it might look like if there were to get on the roof is to just hover the aircraft about 6ft above the roof and slowly yaw the aircraft around and then watch the video to see what you have.

If you haven't done it, I'm sure at some point you have probably thought about it. I'm talking about getting up on the roof of your house in an attempt to gain a better line of sight and/or a better signal for more distance.

I have yet to do it but I do catch myself thinking about it more now then I ever did in the past. The more flights I make from my yard, they seem repetitious. I have either houses or tree's that keep me from having that nice clear open area to point the aircraft towards. I do have a couple semi open spots but of course they get kind old. Btw, I'm referring to when I do fly from my yard and not go somewhere else. I live in a small house edition away from the city. My back yard faces a ton of wildlife. So I don't have to fly over houses unless I choose to.

I forgot to mention my house is a two story which would get me up quite a bit. Now that I think of it, for anyone that is curious what it might look like if there were to get on the roof is to just hover the aircraft about 6ft above the roof and slowly yaw the aircraft around and then watch the video to see what you have.

I thought about the exact same thing, I live at the top of the hill so the roof would be a very good spot for going further. Just too lazy to go up on the roof and try it..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have thought about it but I'm too much of a ( Expletive Removed ) to get up on my roof. I have a weird fear of getting on roofs. Particularly, that last step off the ladder and transitioning to the roof. Then getting off the roof and going to the ladder. I have a 2 story house as well and it sits on a hill 300+ ft above everything else for miles. It's a prime spot if I could get up on the roof so I would have great LOS over trees that are on the same hill. I've thought about collinear antenna on the roof and setting up a control room in my office which is on the 2nd floor. Might be happening soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought about it but I'm too much of a ( Expletive Removed ) to get up on my roof. I have a weird fear of getting on roofs. Particularly, that last step off the ladder and transitioning to the roof. Then getting off the roof and going to the ladder. I have a 2 story house as well and it sits on a hill 300+ ft above everything else for miles. It's a prime spot if I could get up on the roof so I would have great LOS over trees that are on the same hill. I've thought about collinear antenna on the roof and setting up a control room in my office which is on the 2nd floor. Might be happening soon.

You know as a consolation to not getting on the roof, I have considered opening up a 2nd floor window and taking flight. However, I just remembered a friend on mine flies his P4 while sitting in the seat of his single axle box truck and aiming out the front windshield. He actually flies miles across water into another city in no problem. I have watched a few hours now of video with him doing this. So maybe I just stand by the window rather then opening it up and hanging out of it like a mad man. lol!

Edit: I forgot to mention Ed209, with your setup being 300+ feet up I would without a doubt have charged all my batteries up and made some flights from the roof.

Last edited:
I think about this kind of thing all the time. But I live on a hill and the corner of my property is actually higher than my house (relative height) when considering the best direction (lowest horizon) to fly. I've also considered building a tree house like platform way the hell up in a super tall tree - but the neighbors would think I'm out of my mind, which I may be anyway. So right now I'm working on an antenna mast. But it's just in my head so far and I operate real slow - although I do have some telescoping flag poles, a steel tube which will work as an in-ground mount, and an old bag of Sakrete.

I think about this kind of thing all the time. But I live on a hill and the corner of my property is actually higher than my house (relative height) when considering the best direction (lowest horizon) to fly. I've also considered building a tree house like platform way the hell up in a super tall tree - but the neighbors would think I'm out of my mind, which I may be anyway. So right now I'm working on an antenna mast. But it's just in my head so far and I operate real slow - although I do have some telescoping flag poles, a steel tube which will work as an in-ground mount, and an old bag of Sakrete.

Are you running a dual battery mod now fly the extra distance?

I only have a P2V so no, but I do have a battery modded and ready to go. Right now my max is only 2.9 miles and I can do that with a stock battery. But I need to get the signal over these trees and then I'll be able to go further...

I only have a P2V so no, but I do have a battery modded and ready to go. Right now my max is only 2.9 miles and I can do that with a stock battery. But I need to get the signal over these trees and then I'll be able to go further...

No doubt getting over the trees makes all the difference. I'm guessing your flying is currently limited because of the trees?

You know as a consolation to not getting on the roof, I have considered opening up a 2nd floor window and taking flight. However, I just remembered a friend on mine flies his P4 while sitting in the seat of his single axle box truck and aiming out the front windshield. He actually flies miles across water into another city in no problem. I have watched a few hours now of video with him doing this. So maybe I just stand by the window rather then opening it up and hanging out of it like a mad man. lol!

Edit: I forgot to mention Ed209, with your setup being 300+ feet up I would without a doubt have charged all my batteries up and made some flights from the roof.

I have done a few flights from inside my house on the 2nd floor. I have a huge window on the 2nd floor. I get good range but the 2nd floor is still not above the tree line. If I was on the roof, I would be above 85% of the trees at least. There are directions I could fly and would have clear LOS for miles and miles from up there. If I mounted a collinear antenna to a mast, that would be sweet.

No doubt getting over the trees makes all the difference. I'm guessing your flying is currently limited because of the trees?
Yes. I'm limited because of the trees and the 400' AGL thing.

I don't have to get over the trees, I just need to get a little higher to get a better angle. ...

I have done a few flights from inside my house on the 2nd floor. I have a huge window on the 2nd floor. I get good range but the 2nd floor is still not above the tree line. If I was on the roof, I would be above 85% of the trees at least. There are directions I could fly and would have clear LOS for miles and miles from up there. If I mounted a collinear antenna to a mast, that would be sweet.

So where did you launch the aircraft from when you flew from the 2nd floor?

Yes. I'm limited because of the trees and the 400' AGL thing.

I don't have to get over the trees, I just need to get a little higher to get a better angle. ...

Getting that antenna up would be like a new world for you I would bet. Just allowing you to get around and see things not seen before would have to be the hot ticket.

Yes. I need the heat wave to end so I can dig a hole. Right now it's 97.9 degrees outside and humid like a swamp. WTF

I took off from my driveway when flying from the 2nd fl window. And I'm with Mark here in MD. It's a giant steam room out there right now! Roof is probably hotter than the sun! iPad and controller would melt next to my passed out body [emoji3]

Ahh, yea I do it all t the time
348ef4221d7dd794833dbd78ae28ff83_thumb.jpg

I took off from my driveway when flying from the 2nd fl window. And I'm with Mark here in MD. It's a giant steam room out there right now! Roof is probably hotter than the sun! iPad and controller would melt next to my passed out body [emoji3]

Are you near Frederick md

Last time I climbed a ladder it slipped out from under me and I fell 12 ft and broke my knee! Won't be doing that. Lol

Sorry to here about your knee Rod, my guess is your a good Painter just not the ladder type, you know what they say about getting back up on the ......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik