Has there been a change in airline policy for LiPo Batteries?

Reaction score
My associate was about to hit the button for automatic check in for Southwest and read the "agree to our terms" button, and saw it says we agree that we aren't checking OR CARRYING ON LiPo batteries.
Which in effect means "You can't fly with LiPo batteries at all!
Does anyone know if there's been a policy change?
So far as I know we are (have been) able to carry them on. But we need to know in case we have to overnight them to where we are going Thursday.

I'm unaware of a recent change. I'd call the airlines and inquire. Report back to us please.

You can carry them inside cellphones or other things like watches, cameras, notebook..
You can't carry them in packs as used for R/C, or other stand-alone batteries
There is a classification for that but I can't remember....
That's why they can't be shipped by plane either.... Only by land...
What most people do is just carry them, and no problem (unless they explode in the cargo bay and your plane goes down, as happened to a mail plane like 8 years ago, when the policy was instituted...)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fly SW and have recent;ly booked a trip and didn't notice anything different from the past bookings. I just went to SW.com and the site referred me to the FAA list and it appears the same as it was a few months ago. - http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries

Hmm.. Flying to Australia in October.. Wonder if this will shoot my plans down to take the P3?

Hmm.. Flying to Australia in October.. Wonder if this will shoot my plans down to take the P3?
Check your carriers policies. Most airlines allow lipos if they are under a specific weight and carry on.

Just flew to an from Ireland on US Airways (American now). LiPos can be checked as baggage as long as they are in the equipment they are meant to power (e.g. one LiPo can be checked if it is installed in the Phantom). No problem taking LiPos on board as carry on as long as they are below a 100 Watt hours. Your airline may differ but this is fairly standard

i spoke to online chat today with Ryanair about taking then with me to spain, his response was funny as
"https://www.ryanair.com/ie/terms-and-conditions/regulations-cabinbaggage/ you can check the dimensions and the weight of the cabin bag, that you can take to the board, and you can take as many batteries as many fits in your bag"

i think he may have it wrong !

Reactions: S5S5G6
I fly SW and have recent;ly booked a trip and didn't notice anything different from the past bookings. I just went to SW.com and the site referred me to the FAA list and it appears the same as it was a few months ago. - http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries
Here's what is says- one section anyway. I assume the P3 batteries have more than 2 grams of Lithium?

What about large batteries?
Larger Lithium Ion Batteries exceed a Watt-hour rating of100 watt-hours but do not exceed 160 watt-hours. Some very large after-market laptop computer batteries, and some batteries used for professional audio-visual application, fall within this definition. Larger Lithium Metal Batteries contain more than two grams of lithium, and are forbidden in air travel. (No common consumer lithium metal batteries are in the "larger" category.) Most laptop batteries are rated below 100 watt-hours and are not considered to be large batteries.

Does anyone know if our batteries exceed the 100 watt Hour rating??

Everyone keeps saying "ok as long as they are under the 100 watt/hour rating. ARE the P3 batteries under 100 watt hour???

jep,

Multiply the voltage times the capacity.
In the P3 case is 15.2v X 4.48Ah = 68 watthours.
(4480mah = 4.48ah)

Also, these batteries contain no Lithium metal.

Thank you NO17RW !
Just what I needed.
And Great Zappa quote....

jep,

Multiply the voltage times the capacity.
In the P3 case is 15.2v X 4.48Ah = 68 watthours.
(4480mah = 4.48ah)

Also, these batteries contain no Lithium metal.
Then why are they called LITHIUM Polymer batteries?

Last week, I traveled from Houston to San Jose. I carried two LiPo's in my backpack along with my bird. I had no issues at TSA screenings. The rules state 100Wh or less. P3P/A/S batteries are 68Wh. You can refer to one of the FAA's documents. Look at the section titled 'Lithium Ion'. It covers LiPo's too.

My associate was about to hit the button for automatic check in for Southwest and read the "agree to our terms" button, and saw it says we agree that we aren't checking OR CARRYING ON LiPo batteries.
Which in effect means "You can't fly with LiPo batteries at all!
Does anyone know if there's been a policy change?
So far as I know we are (have been) able to carry them on. But we need to know in case we have to overnight them to where we are going Thursday.

I flew from San Fran back to NYC last week and lipo with carry on not a problem. It's just an issue with checked luggage referring size and quantity of lipos

Then why are they called LITHIUM Polymer batteries?

Is this a Joke?

With all the information available on the web why don't people fact-check before making such snarky remarks?

I admit I wasn't very good at chemistry but I was good at research.

So if you do a little research about LiPo chemistry you'll not only learn about Lithium but you may learn the difference between a 'metal' and an 'ion' (not to mention a Polymer).

A Google search my 12 y/o son did found this:

"The inherent instability of lithium metal, especially during charging, shifted research to a non-metallic solution using lithium ions."

Link:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_based_batteries

Just returned from Seattle. 4 flights since Thursday. No issues with my carry on drone & 4 batteries.
My associate checked his in a hard case. Also no problems.

Just returned from Seattle. 4 flights since Thursday. No issues with my carry on drone & 4 batteries.
My associate checked his in a hard case. Also no problems.
Checking lithium batteries is a definite no-no.
All airlines and FAA are very definite about it.
Spare lithium batteries are FORBIDDEN in checked baggage.
http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries

Not to nitpick, but 1 Phantom LiPo battery installed in the phantom may be checked through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers