Has DJI changed battery % at takeoff recommendation?

Reaction score
just installed the latest DJI go app (IOS version).

On first launch of app I got an option screen for "safe flying". Scrolling through the screens I was surprised that one of the pre flight recommendations was to ensure the controller AND AIRCRAFT were charged to at least 50%. Big departure from the earlier always at 100%.

The remote controller is fine at 50%. The Phantom battery should always be charged to 100% though.

Reactions: Jbundy63
That appears in some of their other documentation/videos too. I think that was a perfectly fine practice to follow before the 1.5 firmware update. But, now, it seems they changed their tune to play it safe.

I dunno about that battery nonsense. I simply don't get it.

Make sure your batteries are full charged before you use your tv remote? Be sure your tesla is fully charged each time you start it (hopefully I can find a charger at all the random stores I stop at while shopping!)

It just doesn't make sense. I'll continue to do multiple flights in a day on a single battery. I won't however do multiple flights on a single battery over the course of a few days tho..

Reactions: kptw_pilot
It's easier to tell people to fully charge them than to attempt to school them on the correct way to use batteries when not fully charged.

It's easier to tell people to fully charge them than to attempt to school them on the correct way to use batteries when not fully charged.
I defiantly don't fly a low % battery I try to always stay above 95% and have been fine.

Personally i charge as close to when i fly as is practical and will fly on a 60 % charge same outing. My curiosity now is the new dgi app gives a fly safe tutorial screen on install which says 50% + as the the recommended charge on the phantom. Specifically the fact that it contradicts the previous dji recommedation of 100 %.

Yeah that's crazy! To be safe I have just always fly almost full charged, after you get a 100 or so charges on these batteries they start dropping voltage in the 3.5 to 3.4 range on throttle up to gain altitude, newer batteries are more forgiving. The controller I charge back up when it hits 50% two LEDs left. Not sure why they state it that way but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

This

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 330
Thank you LamboH!! I didnt do a screen shot and couldnt get back to it..... The 50% recommended battery level for aircraft is contrary to earlier DJI advice and flys in the face of consensus here, particularily to the extent it has been implicated as a contributing factor in crashed phantoms. Im wondering if its a mistake or if DJI firmware revisions have improved our chances in flying less than fully charged packs....

Reactions: LamboH
Im wondering if its a mistake or if DJI firmware revisions have improved our chances in flying less than fully charged packs....
As I stated above, I don't think it was a mistake at all. Flying at 50% battery can be perfectly safe if you know what you're doing. For those that don't, it was perfectly safe prior to the 1.5 firmware since the Phantom was able to auto land before the first battery cell reached 3.0V. Something does not work properly in the 1.5 firmware (still TBD), so that safeguard can be bypassed in some cases (e.g. flying it like you stole it on takeoff).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj