Has Anyone Used a Camera like Coolpics 9700 on a Phantom?

Reaction score
I am looking for other options besides the GoPro since there is no zoom, or interchangeable lenses. I recently saw a Nikon Coolpics that was rather small 250grams. I have a couple questions.
1 Is there a gimbal that would support this on a Phantom 2
2 Would the weight be too much for the Phantom
3 Could I control the zoom from the controller since I cannot use Wifi
4 What have you experience pilots found that works
Thanks for your thoughts

Re: Has Anyone Used a Camera like Coolpics 9700 on a Phantom

It would be a big project to get that camera on a Phantom and be able to use zoom.
For a start you'd need a gimbal that could weigh as much as the camera again.
The weight is going to be a serious handicap on a smallquad.
No - you can't control the zoom and if you can't see the picture you couldn't use it.
If you need to use a camera likethat, take a look at the Walkera Tali H500.
They have saidthey are going to bring out a gimbal to fly a Sony RX100 with FPV.
Otherwise you'd have to look at even bigger quads and bigger $$ to fly a real camera.

Thanks for the input. I think the best solution is post production zoom and record in highest resolution. I do not want to lose flight time with a heavy load.

i 3d printed a mount for my tripod's mount (sounds weird) and loaded a point and shoot. since i cant rotate the mount i printed 4 mounts with different angles (30, 45, 90 and 0).

the camera weights about 250 grams and i dont have fpv, it kinda sucks but im getting way much better photos than the ones that can be shooted with a go pro.

chapsrlz said:
i 3d printed a mount for my tripod's mount (sounds weird) and loaded a point and shoot. since i cant rotate the mount i printed 4 mounts with different angles (30, 45, 90 and 0).

the camera weights about 250 grams and i dont have fpv, it kinda sucks but im getting way much better photos than the ones that can be shooted with a go pro.

What camera are you using? Does it have an intervolometer or some type of time lapse feature?

I bought one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ7PRHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 All you would need to do is mount a basic go pro mount on the bottom of the Phantom then you could mount any point and shoot that could be carried. The main issue is to get the camera to take pictures. The camera has to have some way to automatically take pictures.

61pg%2Bt643KL._SL1500_.jpg

The main issue is to get the camera to take pictures. The camera has to have some way to automatically take pictures.

If you use a Canon point & shoot you can do a CHDK modification to the software (non destructive). This will give you the option of a intervolometer.

I have mounted a Sony A5000 on my PV. You can download a Time Lapse App which is basically an intervolmeter.

enseth said:
The main issue is to get the camera to take pictures. The camera has to have some way to automatically take pictures.

If you use a Canon point & shoot you can do a CHDK modification to the software (non destructive). This will give you the option of a intervolometer.

I have mounted a Sony A5000 on my PV. You can download a Time Lapse App which is basically an intervolmeter.

This will work on the NEX line, and I think some of the A- models as well: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/th ... 2nd/Detail

this is my setup:

tripod mount + mount for the tripod mount :roll:

as you can see i can carry a point and shoot (this camera is not the one im using) or a video camera (yeah i know, no image stabilization... but im capable of recording on full hd avchd format)

point and shoot:

or sony hdr-cx100

What camera are you using? Does it have an intervolometer or some type of time lapse feature?
there are a few point and shoot cameras that have a time lapse feature, im using a ricoh wg-4 gps http://www.dpreview.com/products/ricoh/compacts/ricoh_wg4gps, not the quality of a sony rx-100 iii but much more quality than the gopro hero 3+ and this one is water resistant, drop resistant and comes with a gps so all photos have gps data in the exif info.

greetings :)

Attachments

• ph-1.jpg
    ph-1.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 374
  • ph-3.jpg
    ph-3.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 353
  • ph-5.jpg
    ph-5.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 385
  • ph-6.jpg
    ph-6.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 318
  • ph-7.jpg
    ph-7.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 383

Thanks for the info and tips.

The Walkera Tali H500 will have a 3D gimbal for the Sony RX100 sometime in September

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20