Has anyone tried one of these Whistle GPS locators for dogs?

Interesting. I didn’t notice but is there a monthly subscription to use it? Pretty cheap insurance.
Jim
WA5TEF

Interesting. I didn’t notice but is there a monthly subscription to use it? Pretty cheap insurance.
Jim
WA5TEF
Pricing starts at $6.95/month. It has a cellular modem and you are paying for a data plan with a bit of markup.

Whistle looks like a viable option to Trackimo, and the new PING, which hasn't started shipping yet. Only 1oz and $7/mo seems pretty competitive, and 7 days isn't bad battery life. However.... they state wifi mode is the least power draw, so I would bet their 7 day battery life estimate is in wifi mode and cellular mode has much less battery life. I hope I'm wrong.

These look like they’ll do an excellent job tracking our drones

www.whistle.com
UPDATE:

Not so excellent for drones. The tracker cannot be turned off. Once it's charged, it lasts about 12hrs in pure cellular mode when using a 3min update frequency with ATT cellular, about $7/mo. The updating can be between 3 min or 30 min. Using a 30 minute update interval the battery lasts about 5 days. The more often you update the location the less time the battery lasts. The fact you can't turn it off is a bummer, meaning you have to charge every time you fly the night before. It takes about 2hrs to fully charge. 6min location update intervals should last about 24hrs. I guess the good part of this design is you cannot forget to turn it on, but I wish it had an on-off button so it would last for a while longer, so it's not wasting battery when I'm not flying. It will email you when you need to charge the battery, so that's a nice reminder. Weighs about an once, which is good. Here's some info to read about it, and here's some specs.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl