Has anyone had problems with birds

Reaction score
I was flying with my Phantom next to a church shooting video of it... The only problem was that few birds flew around my Phantom and started to move agressively towards my Phantom. It didnt take too long until the sky was actually filled of birds... Around 40-50 birds flew around my Phantom reminding me of the movie called The Birds... I decided to land as they started to act more bravely and I guess it was only a matter of time until one of those birds would had smashed to my Phantom.

Its not unsual as I've had bigger birds (Hawks etc.) harrasing my Phantom.

Does anyone have enough knowledge about birds and how they behave to say if its an actual risk to get bird to attack your quad or are they just trying to threaten?

Has anyone had similiar encounters where your Phantom has actually had collision with a bird? What happened?

I surely wouldnt want to cause any damage to birds of any sorts with my Phantom, but wouldnt want to loose my Phantom either. Based on what I've seen I guess that Phantom could recover even if bird would momentarily "stun" the Phantom and cause it to flip... as Naza is capable of turning Phantom back up.

I've had this happen a few times with black birds, it's indeed strange how they just start flying around the phantom in a circle and I've had a few even dive towards it but they never hit it. I usually start taking it down once I notice them do this so I don't risk losing it. Seems like they come out of nowhere too.

If there are nests around they'll attack, and at least where I am its nesting season. After the first 2 times I got attacked I just stopped flying in these areas. Ive had magpies and sea gulls go for my phantom. If they touch your props I'd guess both birds are coming down. I install satellite dishes and get attacked personally by large sea gulls all the time when im up on roofs. They're pretty agressive and wont stop until you are gone. Lots of good bird attacks on youtube taking down a phantom or 2 and lots of rc planes too. Best leave them alone.

i've seen a couple videos of birds "attacking" phantoms... which makes me think the ban to fly drones in national parks across the u.s. is a good decision.

kitari said:
I've had this happen a few times with black birds, it's indeed strange how they just start flying around the phantom in a circle and I've had a few even dive towards it but they never hit it. I usually start taking it down once I notice them do this so I don't risk losing it. Seems like they come out of nowhere too.

this happens to me with pigeons in the city. I've always landed quickly before one gets too bold and clips a rotor or something and I lose MY bird

I've only had issues with hawks circling me, they've got close but stayed away. I would advise to watch out for pigeons, they are a protected bird. Not joking why is beyond me. We all know you get a pigeon lover see one fly into a drone and get hurt, the firestorm that wil come.

I've had a butterfly land on my Phantom prior to lift-off on a couple occasions. Does that count?

I've had several close calls with bats in Brooklyn. It's my fault though, as I tend to fly near sunset, when they are hunting bugs. No strikes, yet.

Yes, I have had problems with birds! Mocking birds on Andros Island in the Bahamas.

I was there on location photographing in late June into early July this summer for about a week. My DJI Phantom was equipped with a GoPro for aerial photography.

The shot was to fly along the beach, close to the sand, just where the waves lapped the shore. Fly under some overhanging palm fronds and then send the copter to an altitude above the tree line.

I did that maneuver and when I sent the copter to altitude the rotational pitch of the rotors changed and I had no control. My vision was partially blocked by the invasive Australian Pines, but I saw the copter head west where it kissed a pine branch and gnawed away like an aerial Cuisinart that would make a hedge trimmer jealous. I don’t think the copter was enjoying its meal of pine needles as it made a spectacular descent back to Earth and silence. Well, silence after the discordant sound of plastic in disagreement with the ground.

The copter, when I found it, was upside down, the Lipo was disconnected beside the copter and the GoPro was not far away. One propeller was bent up at about a forty-five degree angle. The memory card in the GoPro was unseated, but in the memory card slot.

I watched the video thinking I was going to witness a spectacular crash, but the video ends soon after I cleared the tree line. So, whatever made it crash also unseated the memory card.

I straightened the propeller, reattached the battery and the copter came back to life. I put the GoPro back in place and sent the copter back up to where I had originally sent it to altitude. Within seconds a territorial Mocking bird flew right at the copter. I had to take evasive action and flew away from the bird out over the ocean. Then, not really believing what I was seeing, I sent the copter back over land and the bird came out for another round.

Later that evening, because some folks were having some doubts about my story, I sent the copter back up and got the Mocking bird to challenge me to a dogfight two more times. I backed down but did entertain the thought for a moment about what it would look like if feather met propeller. However, I was lucky the copter survived one crash and did not want to risk another. I respected the no fly zone.

Honestly, I did not see the Mockingbird crash the copter, but I do not know what other conclusion I can draw. When I originally sent the copter to altitude I did so because there were no obstructions. It obviously hit something hard enough to unseat the memory card at altitude.

The propeller, I believe, got bent on impact with the ground. The tip had dirt on it, and since the plastic propeller has a degree of flex, I think it acted like a spring absorbing some of the impact. Possibly saving the copter.

Thirty years as a professional photographer and the idea of being in a dogfight with a Mocking bird never entered my mind.

Swallows go crazy around mine. They dive at it but have to got too close yet. Makes me nervous.

Had a Hawk circling around a few weekends ago. I was around a 100ft and was just hovering in one spot. The Hawk then eyed a squirrel in a large pine by my house. 30 seconds later the hawk swooped in for his dinner. Now that was cool, I felt a little sorry for the squirrel as it screamed as the hawk flew away it

Miika said:
I was flying with my Phantom next to a church shooting video of it... The only problem was that few birds flew around my Phantom and started to move agressively towards my Phantom. It didnt take too long until the sky was actually filled of birds... Around 40-50 birds flew around my Phantom reminding me of the movie called The Birds... I decided to land as they started to act more bravely and I guess it was only a matter of time until one of those birds would had smashed to my Phantom.

Its not unsual as I've had bigger birds (Hawks etc.) harrasing my Phantom.

Does anyone have enough knowledge about birds and how they behave to say if its an actual risk to get bird to attack your quad or are they just trying to threaten?

Has anyone had similiar encounters where your Phantom has actually had collision with a bird? What happened?

I surely wouldnt want to cause any damage to birds of any sorts with my Phantom, but wouldnt want to loose my Phantom either. Based on what I've seen I guess that Phantom could recover even if bird would momentarily "stun" the Phantom and cause it to flip... as Naza is capable of turning Phantom back up.
Perhaps they are curious as to how it flies without wings!? lol... More likely they are just being territorial and/or are aggravated by the noise it makes. Mine hasn't been attacked yet but have seen birds take an interest in it... I use CF props so I think a bird will come off second best if it attacks mine....lol

I've had sea gulls dive bomb my Phantom a few times recently when flying over the Newport Beach Harbor.

My wife got this video with her phone of three birds swooping around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnytrrc ... p9zDb8K7TA

Shortly after this, a lady came up and asked me accusingly if I was harassing the birds. I told her that I was trying to escape their attacks.

She said "well, it's their air space!". I didn't want to piss off some old busy body, so I just said you're right and packed up.

Hello, I crashed mine by fixing a camcorder on the side leg Took some video before the crash. Had a job finding it to It had a film 27 minutes upside down going Click Click Click and on and on. Its on youtube They dont call me Master of Disaster for nothing. Regards Bob

I was flying my Phantom I above a mosque near the Bosphorus in Istanbul when I attracted the attention of a dozen or more sea gulls in the area. Actually they never attacked the Phantom but rather circled around it. Maybe they were just curious.

I managed to capture one of the gulls on video and have attached a frame grab from the video.

Attachments

• Tophane 2.jpg
    Tophane 2.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 445
Out here in Hawaii we have egrets. These stupid looking dudes love my phantom. I had a crash because one of these guys got bold one time and broke off half a prop because he decided to attack it.

Usually they're pretty mellow birds.

Cattle%2BEgret%2Band%2Bcow.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj