Has anyone else seen this ?

Reaction score
Hi All
I needed to fly my P2V+ above a building to get a photo of a chimney. The building is located between 2, 3 phase high tension powder lines. The lines were not that close to the building, about 50' on ether side. Not that I would fly into them. Before starting did compass cal. Once I was in the air, hovered for a minute to make sure it was stable As the P2V+ went higher it started to go "wankie" (drifting, spinning, unstable). Needles to say I brought it down, with an OK landing. Got home checked it our, redid the compass cal, and flew it for 10 minutes with no problems. Near as I can figure the EMF from those high power lines was creating a magnetic field that was screwing up the compass. Anyone else have this experience ?
Regina

This has been discussed before, and apparently it's a topic of strong opinion. There are a few video demonstrations of a Phantom intentionally flying in front of and around high tension wires and cell towers with no ill effect, while others have reports very similar to what you described with loss of control or squirrelly behavior.

A strong electromagnetic field will definitely deflect a compass, and few of us ever have a real need to fly around high tension wires, so it's probably a good idea to give them a wide berth.

Maybe the mistake you made was doing the compass cal in the vicinity of the wires?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj