Has anybody travelled by plane with P2V?

Reaction score
I'm looking to take my Vision with me on a trip.
Just wondering about people's experiences with taking the Phantom on commercial airliners in the US.

I'm guessing you'd get pushback from TSA at the security checkpoint if you tried to bring it on in a carryon bag. Or... ? Maybe not?

I'm figuring I'll need to pack it in a Pelican case or similar and check it. Already been pricing the various cases available for Phantoms. Do they survive baggage handling? And how 'bout luggage screening? Do you lock the case? Any problems/concerns?

Any info would be great!

I placed mine in a cheap Contico storage box and placed it in a normal regulation size rolling carry-on bag. See link for the box.
DryBox: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contio-Sport-Ut ... ca&vxp=mtr
The Phantom fits in the dry box with props off. It has room for 2 extra batteries, controller, at least 6 props, charger, and tools. It is easy to carry onto the beach, it is watertight and it is cheap. Contico does not sell them anymore so you may only ind a used one. It may not not have room for FPV monitor.

It fits into the carry-on luggage and I had room for my DSLR and two additional lenses.

Similar carry-on: http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Luggage- ... 602&sr=8-4

You could easily put the drybox in the a duffle bag.

See this video of the dry box in action: http://youtu.be/ozYb4HlGQSA?t=10s

No problems with security. They did check my laptop twice, but not the phantom.

Quite a few thread about flying with them.

I took mine on a trip last month. Put it in a hardside carryon with clothes packed around it. No issues at security. Gate checked it on one flight so it went in with the checked bags with no problems. Pretty sure you're not supposed to put batteries in checked bags but carryon is OK.

I am also planning a trip in the next few weeks and my father worked for the TSA and advised that it must NOT be checked under the plane, due to the batteries, as there is a better chance to put a fire out on board just in case ;)
ProfessorStein said:
I'm looking to take my Vision with me on a trip.
Just wondering about people's experiences with taking the Phantom on commercial airliners in the US.

I'm guessing you'd get pushback from TSA at the security checkpoint if you tried to bring it on in a carryon bag. Or... ? Maybe not?

I'm figuring I'll need to pack it in a Pelican case or similar and check it. Already been pricing the various cases available for Phantoms. Do they survive baggage handling? And how 'bout luggage screening? Do you lock the case? Any problems/concerns?

Any info would be great!

I traveled to the Caribbean on vacation with my P2V. Carry-on. No issues with TSA security. Wasn't checked at all.

I took mine to Cancun MX. from US. I packed in my checked luggage in its original box since it was shipped all over in it new with no issues breaking. I didn't have any issues on any flights or customs, and took some incredible videos up and down the beaches. Funny that their military was even walking down the beach early one morning, and stopped to watch it flying, posed for pictures and throwing up USA signs with their arms for the videos (like the YMCA song). I later purchased the P2V+, and travelled to Jamaica 2-weeks ago with it and learned beforehand you need to secure the camera really well with it.

For those of you that took your phantom on vacation I was wondering, what about the xray machine in the airport wont this mess up the compass?

I pack my Phantom, radio, etc. in a hard shell Pelican case with other items. I carry my batteries in my carry-on bag. I am prepared to answer questions from TSA if they question me about the batteries but have had no trouble. I also place a professional looking note on the Phantom about what it is and ask that they kindly handle with care and repack (if necessary) exactly as it was originally packed. I once witnessed a TSA inspection after numerous experiences of damage and missing equipment (for my work) from repacking by TSA. I placed a note stating that this was "expensive" instruments and please handle with care. The TSA agent who I was observing doing the inspection asked me what the equipment was. I told him. He told me he used to used that equipment and "this stuff is not expensive". This proves why some of our travel items become damaged or missing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj