Hardshell backpacks,where do you put your tablet?Modifications?

Reaction score
When I first bought my P3 is when Micro Center had the DJI backpacks lowered to 29 bucks so I bought one.At first it was good just using my iphone.Then I decided I wanted to be able to have prop guards on it when needed and then when I acquired a tablet there was no room for that.
So I did some carving on mine to be able to fit my 7.9" Ipad mini and my prop guards.I also modified where the RC goes in so it fits with the sticks screwed out longer.There is now no room for my propellers or charger.Carrying the propellers hasnt been a problem and the charger I havent needed to take with me anywhere yet but I have an ideal of what I'm going to do just havent implemented it yet.I believe I am going to find some netting,and screw some to each side of the backpack to hold the props and the charger if needed.Anyone else done any mods or have better ideals?
I know ebay is selling some soft backs with zipper pouches that could hold your tablet,but too late for me now.

Skip to 18:20 for the back pack. I put 2 tablets and my hoodvision between the pack and the top cover under the straps. I think that the prop guards could be put in here also and there is room for cutting them in if needed. But the Backpack is for packing it into an area, so you want it as light as possible. That's why the chargers and spare parts never have had a place in the backpacks. If I'm not using the backpack, my birds go back into their own hard cases. The backpacks are great and I use mine when hiking, but for safety and while driving a packed car for camping, the hard cases are best used because they can't be crushed and are safely stored under other items.

Reactions: konidair
Skip to 18:20 for the back pack. I put 2 tablets and my hoodvision between the pack and the top cover under the straps. I think that the prop guards could be put in here also and there is room for cutting them in if needed. But the Backpack is for packing it into an area, so you want it as light as possible. That's why the chargers and spare parts never have had a place in the backpacks. If I'm not using the backpack, my birds go back into their own hard cases. The backpacks are great and I use mine when hiking, but for safety and while driving a packed car for camping, the hard cases are best used because they can't be crushed and are safely stored under other items.

Good video and good ideal on the backpack

22535031007_877ee2e961_z.jpg

I opened up with of the side slots full width down to shell.

My iPad mini and sunshade fit there perfectly.

Yeah thats where Reed L said to put tablet also,good ideals but I dont have a case for my ipad and afraid it would get scratched up in there,my ipad fits good in mine where its at.But that is where I am going to be storing my sunshade.

Yeah thats where Reed L said to put tablet also,good ideals but I dont have a case for my ipad and afraid it would get scratched up in there,my ipad fits good in mine where its at.But that is where I am going to be storing my sunshade.
Yep, I store both my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" and sunshade in that space.

So to revisit this thread.Been looking for a net that I could use to hold my props but couldnt find any small enough for what I wanted.I wanted to mount 1 on each side of backpack but could not find any that small.So I found one on ebay that i just attached to the bottom of backpack.It does what I want it to do but will get a little dirty now and then,not a big deal,i just would have preferred nets on the side.

Reactions: Digdat0
Yeah thats where Reed L said to put tablet also, good idea but I dont have a case for my ipad and afraid it would get scratched up in there, my ipad fits good in mine where its at. But that is where I am going to be storing my sunshade.
When I place my iPad Air 2 above the foam, I put mine into a protective plastic sleeve first. Protects against any unwanted foreign matter, dirt, grit, or abrasives. Loose diamonds which could cut my screen in two. Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Numone
Got another net in and mounted it.This one is smaller and I could mount it on the side to hold props and use the bigger net to hold battery charger or sunshades if need be.These nets like this are hard to find,or at least I'm having a hard time finding them

Attachments

• IMG_8637.JPG
    IMG_8637.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Reactions: Digdat0
Good job. It looks great, how you are able to attach it. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Good job. It looks great, how you are able to attach it. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Thanks.They are attached just like it looks,with 4 screws with some washers to keep the net from popping off around the screws.The thread length on screws was probably about 1/2".I did have 1 screw on the new net that felt stripped but the threads were still holding.I think what I'm going to is go back and and unscrew all of them and add some epoxy to the threads and screw them back in,then I shouldnt have any problems

Got another net in and mounted it.This one is smaller and I could mount it on the side to hold props and use the bigger net to hold battery charger or sunshades if need be.These nets like this are hard to find,or at least I'm having a hard time finding them
Check out motorcycle sites for bungee netting.

Smart thinking. I enjoy seeing all the interesting mods and custom painted shells, dyed rotor blades. . . I think it's marvelous what all, many of you guys continue to share, with unique and varied methods to keep it interesting and new. Continue posting... Haha

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone
I have that exact net in the trunk of my car. It's a trunk partition or cargo net. That small one fits on the right side of my SL550

I have that exact net in the trunk of my car. It's a trunk partition or cargo net. That small one fits on the right side of my SL550

Winner! The large one is from the trunk of a Nissan Altima.Do you have a part # for the small net? It's only 5"x7",where's it go on an SL550?

If that small net does go to a Mercedes that would explain the price lol.The big net was only 9.99 shipped,the small net was 15 bucks shipped.Ebay seller only had that one and no others,he was just advertising it as small cargo net,he did not sell it as a net for a car

Last edited:
When I place my iPad Air 2 above the foam, I put mine into a protective plastic sleeve first. Protects against any unwanted foreign matter, dirt, grit, or abrasives. Loose diamonds which could cut my screen in two. Ha

RedHotPoker
I have had to do a little chopping on my DJI harshell to get things to fit right. Had to cut away some space when I extended the left lever for smoother yaw control. I have an iPad mini and sunshade. On the side opposite from the one where the charger fits, there is a deep space but putting the iPad there interfered with the with the quad. There is a bit of a step in there that I cut away so the iPad and shade sit farther back and all fits perfectly. Also used a thin strip of the cutaway material and put it on the bottom so there was a little cushioning. You can see the white sunshade and the iPad w/cover next to it. Also under the motor is the iPad cable. The white oval is a hinged parabolic range extender that just fits. I am actually surprised at how much I can fit in that case with a bit of planning and the judicious use of a razor knife.

harshell.jpg

Winner! The large one is from the trunk of a Nissan Altima.Do you have a part # for the small net? It's only 5"x7",where's it go on an SL550?

If that small net does go to a Mercedes that would explain the price lol.The big net was only 9.99 shipped,the small net was 15 bucks shipped.Ebay seller only had that one and no others,he was just advertising it as small cargo net,he did not sell it as a net for a car
I don't have a part # but it's a small area behind the right rear tire perfect for a 6 pack :) I can get a picture if you need it but you can call Mercedes parts dept and they can give you the price. I've seen them in other SL models also.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20