Hard to control

Reaction score
I was not sure how to classify the problems I am experiencing...

Here are the behaviors I am experiencing:

1) On takeoff, the Phantom does not take off straight up. It leans forward before it gets airborne.
2) Randomly while in the air. The Phantom will flash one green, followed by 2 green. (Center Stick problem according to the manual)
I performed the stick calibration procedure in the advanced manual. Does not resolve the issue
3) As it gains Altitude it moves randomly. No discernible pattern. Certainly not the circle I have read about which indicates Compass problem. I recalibrated Compass anyways. Does not solve
4) When it gets roughly 20 feet above ground, it starts to try to fly away. (again no discernible pattern). I have to over compensate in other direction in order to bring it back to home while trying to cut power to bring it down without crashing.
5) From time to time I have noticed that the motors in the front seem to be fighting with the motors in the back. You can hear them whining higher than the rear motors.

I have done the IMU recalibration in both basic and advanced. I have downloaded the factory settings and reset.

Make sure you do the IMU calibration on a level surface that has no metal. Whatever level the Phantom is resting during the IMU calibration is treated by the NAZA as the goal to meet in flight.

In order to move in any direction, one set of motors will spin faster than the other pair. This is how lateral thrust is created.

The normal margin for error published in the specs is 2.5 meters horizontal. That is around 8 feet in any direction.

If the acquired satellite total alls below 6, the NAZA will switch to ATTI flight control and will be affected by wind and residual momentum until enough sats are re-acquired to restore GPS operations.

You may be experiencing the NAZA behaving as designed.

Ok. Some questions.

What phantom do you own?
Have you added anything to the bird, or is it bone stock?
Stock or aftermarket props?
On takeoff, you have flashing green only?
Did you wait for the two green led bursts before liftoff?
Did you balance your props?
Did you ever change the gains in the assistant software?
Firmware for bird and controller p to date?
How did you calibrate the remote?

Now on takeoff it seems that it may move around some for the first minute then gets locked in.
Funny but it sounds like the gains are off. Ill wait for your answers before going further.

It almost sounds like the compass has been moved or is way out. You haven't added different landing gear have you?

To everyone kind enough to reply, here is the resolution. All of the hints provided by you led to resolution.

There were 2 modifications I made. Prop upgrade to Carbon Composite Propellors. The reason I did this was to reduce the Jello effect in video footage.
Extended landing legs to allow room between Camera, Gimbal, and ground.

1) I reverted back to original props.
2) I moved the compass as close to original landing leg position as possible. (this was not the resolution, however since this could be root cause for other potential issues I modified the position)

The shape of the prop is very close to the original.
1) Is the blade being too stiff the cause?
2) Is it possible to use Carbon Composite blades to reduce jello, or is it a red herring issue?
-If it is a solution to the jello effect, should I be working on the "Balance Prop" procedure?

adziebart said:
The shape of the prop is very close to the original.
1) Is the blade being too stiff the cause?
2) Is it possible to use Carbon Composite blades to reduce jello, or is it a red herring issue?
-If it is a solution to the jello effect, should I be working on the "Balance Prop" procedure?

The carbon fiber props are real brittle and stiff they tend to amplify any vibrations. Similar to putting solid motor mounts on a car - you're going to feel every little vibration. Yes carbon fiber props need to be balanced and if you plan on using them plan on buying a prop balancer. DJI props are fairly soft, can take alot of abuse and flex a bit to dampen flights. If anything try to soften the gimbal mount to eliminate jello effect.

I understand landing gear mods but compass has to be as close to where DJI mount is for it to function properly. The alternative is to get NAZA V2 compass "puck" and replace factory GPS with it. The "Puck" version has compass & GPS built into it, eliminiating the external compass on leg. Alot of folks actually cut one leg and mount it and compass along with aftermarket landing gear to facilitate the add on.

To answer your question, stick to dji props. Get the vision props.
If you can, try to balance them. They are great props.

Aftermarket is hit and miss, missing most of the time.

I would never put aftermarket props on mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic