Hard Landing...Tweaked & Cracked the body!

Reaction score
Got a little overconfident flying tonight, headed towards a tree and let go, but the GPS didn't kick in in time and went into a tree, then the Phantom fell about 8ft to the ground, with one of the arms taking the brunt of it. :cry:

the Phantom seemed completely back to normal in the dark,
but one of the props was hitting the body, so thought I might have bent another prop.
but upon further inspection it was worse, much worse.

the top cover portion was slightly cracked and bend upwards.
- and the lower portion was slightly buckled as well.
took things apart, and it doesn't look so great.

any thoughts how screwed I am?

My only thoughts are perhaps I can apply some heat to the parts and perhaps, just perhaps, they'll flex and cool down back into place.
that, or I'll need a whole new body. (if DJI even plans to sell them?)
I kind of doubt there's a place I can send it to get fixed?? (not quite sure if I have the skills to tear down and re-assemble)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,132
Man that sucks. When the day comes that I do that, I think I will just order a aftermarket frame and transfer my Phantom guts over. I plan to build my own quad over time anyhow so I may start ordering parts and get it ready. I just want to learn to fly efficiently before I do, at least the Phantom has all the important stuff tucked inside!

Yah,. I'm really bummed I can't fly this weekend, it's gunna be nice out!

On a good note, I contacted my dealer and they're sell a complete replacement shell for $65!
Looks like I'm gunna get to intimately know my Phantom's innards.
I'll just have to be careful not to lose any screws, but I'm pretty confident I can do it!

So while I await my new shell ..
i figured what the heck, may a well see what I can do in the meantime, ..

With a little heat applied from the kitchen stovetop, and she's good as.. well, at least she flies again!!

the top part didn't handle the heat so well, so I merely amputated the end.
the bottom part did ok, the motor mount holes are off, (was only able to use 3 screws), and now instead of the prop tilted inwards, it now tiles a bit outward.
The tricky part is that now the craft tends to seriously yaw in a counter clockwise direction.
I won't be flying the GoPro on it, but at least I can now continue to enjoy my Phantom until a new shell arrives

Attachments

• Phantom Fix.jpg
    Phantom Fix.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,090

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik