Hard Landing - Gimbal assistance needed

Reaction score
So what occurred wasn't a full-on crash, but I'd classify it more as a hard landing after brushing against a low-hanging tree branch. When a compass error occurred, it drifted on decent.

One prop needed to be replaced after the last 1" or so of one end cracked off.

Everything else checks out fine - no hairline cracks, no other damage. I replaced the prop, recalibrated the IMU and compass, and it flies like the first day I bought it.

HOWEVER - one slight problem. The camera is no longer aimed directly forward. It isn't tilted at an angle -- the horizon is perfectly straight -- however, it doesn't aim directly straight forward; but rather it is off from dead-center by a few degrees. I've calibrated the gimbal a few times, but it seems to come back to this same center-point that is off-center. Any ideas on how to get this back to center?

Mine is doing the same thing I'm wondering if it's normal it would be helpful if someone could let us both know

What so no one wants to help with us out on this

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Check in the DJI Go app, I think there is an adjustment for that.

There is an adjustment setting in the Go app for small left or right fine tuning. Had to turn mine 3 or 4 notches left. It was visibly turned a little to the right.
I'm not connected right now so I can't locate it for you, but I can check it in the morning if you need it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bob8619
There is an adjustment setting in the Go app for small left or right fine tuning. Had to turn mine 3 or 4 notches left. It was visibly turned a little to the right.
I'm not connected right now so I can't locate it for you, but I can check it in the morning if you need it.

If you could point me to that setting, I'd really appreciate it.

The only settings I've been able to find are ones labeled for pitch and yaw, neither of which appeared to change anything.

I still have been unable to find a setting to adjust the directional. My horizon is straight and the gimbal seems to function entirely properly in all respects except that it is aimed to the left about 5 degrees or so from center.

DOH!
I apologize. It is Roll that I adjusted, which is the L/R tilt of the camera. I believe what you are looking for would be called Yaw.
My camera is also just right of center, and only noticed when looking down on the drone from above.

Last edited:
If the in app adjustment doesnt sort you out then it may be the gimbal shaft has moved form its centre position , you need to do search on you tube for phantom 3 gimbal repair , watch near the end and normally they would have to glue the Camera mount shaft in position to make sure the camera is level.

If you remove the cover of the last motor on the gimbal which is what the camera mounts to you will see the shaft goes through a potentiomitor which is how the gimbal knows where the shaft is positioned , there is a flat part of the shaft and also a matching flat part of the potentiomitor hole , if the flat part is not level then the camera wont sit straight.

Will add a photo of what i mean when im back from work.

PWACKPH3

Pic of what i mean ,

Attachments

• ph3 gim.jpg
    ph3 gim.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 372
If I'm understanding the OP, his problem is not that the camera is out of level (gimble roll), it's that the camera is not pointing forward dead center. If looking down from above, mine is visibly off center also, but I don't see an issue with it personally. When taking pics or video, I am aligning my shot using the FPV anyway.
I suppose though that if one were trying to fly a straight line using the FPV, the craft won't follow a straight line.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers