Happy to report...

Reaction score
My new Phantom 3 Professional (updated -A model) has been put through its initial paces and has come through with flying colors. As a previous P2V+ owner, I have to say this bird blows it away.

I spent a great deal of time familiarizing myself with the manual, with information from PhantomHelp.com's awesome information page, and with errors and problems posted on this forum.

Firmware was updated to latest (1.6) on Phantom, Batteries, and R/C without a hitch. I installed a trackimo, a getterback, a gimbal guard, and a KillerRC gimbal clamp, an HDMI board on the R/C transmitter, and I purchased a Polar Pro lens cap/gimbal clamp and a set of ND lenses. I cold calibrated the IMU, and calibrated the gimbal and compass. I even registered with the FAA.

The P3P flies like a dream. I have had a very fast start up and GPS acquisition compared to my P2V+. Video drop out was non-existent within 500 meters (as far as I've gone) and without noticeable lag. Control was positive and response robust. The VPS system works very well in low level flight within its limitations. I had fun with the POI and follow me modes. The video and stills are an incredible leap and I love the rectilinear lens. It all packs away nicely in the DJI hardshell backpack Best Buy was kind enough to include for Christmas (Buyer beware at BestBuy: they tried to sell me old stock, but I insisted they find me one with an -A model designation. After some digging we found them, the new ones were rotated in the back of their stock).

I haven't yet opened it up for distance (will do that at the beach), I am flying it with an iPhone 6, and will be getting an iPad 2 Air soon. I'm still getting comfortable with the many options of the DJI GO app, and look forward to becoming proficient (especially with the camera settings). I haven't tried the way point mode, but I worry I'm going to be disappointed.

Honestly, so far I'm tickled pink with the P3P. To anyone looking to upgrade or make the leap from another platform, just do it. I suppose a lot of the smooth first few days comes from not being an early adopter this time around. I had received one of the original P2V+ that shipped in April 2014 and was very busy tweaking and modding that bird and dealing with firmware bugs. I guess waiting it out let me bypass all the ills I've read on this board (one can hope). I'd like to thank all the early adopters for ironing out issues and warning us of the pitfalls of this particular model, so Thank You!

Let the games begin!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are breaking her in slowly. I went out 13,000' on the maiden! Video was flawless but wasn't sure how far I should push the battery since I was on the other side of the Bay! The DJI hardshell backpack is nice I just need to find a place to make a slot for my Nexus 7 & sunshade. Maybe that weird slot at the top has room at a slight angle?

Reactions: DrJoe
Let me know what you do with the sunshade... I have a cardboard cutout I lug around and want to get a manufactured sunshade.

I've always been a little leery of losing sight of the bird, especially with the P2V+, but this lightbridge on the P3P is incredible. I'll be pushing it out there soon enough!

Did you get the mod done for your Flytrex yet?

I have the DJI sunshade (both sizes). Haven't actually used them yet but they look nice. Still haven't ordered my Flytrex units. Its getting cold so I doubt I'll be doing much flying until it warms up.

Lightbridge is awesome. 13,000' and perfect the whole way...not one hiccup!

My Vision+ camera has developed an issue. Yaw axis is twitching. My cat knocked her off the table last night! Decided he wanted to lay right where the Phantom was sitting. :mad: Will have to open her up & check all the connections & the magnet around the yaw pot for cracks. Probably should order a new yaw arm as mine is slightly bent.

Let me know what you do with the sunshade... I have a cardboard cutout I lug around and want to get a manufactured sunshade.

I've always been a little leery of losing sight of the bird, especially with the P2V+, but this lightbridge on the P3P is incredible. I'll be pushing it out there soon enough!

Did you get the mod done for your Flytrex yet?

Probably should order a new yaw arm as mine is slightly bent.

I happen to have an old P2 V+ camera lying around with a broken ribbon cable. Its of no use to me. I was going to sell it, but PM me your address and I'll send it to you. Harvest as needed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31