Handheld Radio

Reaction score
Is anyone using one while flying to listen to air traffic in the area? If so, what are you using? Thanks in advance.

Motorola DTR 500's - really 2 way;s, used mainly to talk to spotter, who is about 2-5 KM's the other side of forest or flying location.
Any long range missions we like having a spotter situated at outermost waypoints.

That sounds good royster. What about one that I can hear air traffic or contact the tower if need be? I don't see this happening often but they discuss it in class, just wondering if anyone really carries one of these.

Yes, contacting the airport manager will probably be done by phone if the need arises. The phone numbers can easily be gotten from the FAA's web site for every airport in the country. I want it really for listening to air traffic (I Know I typed speak/tower, my fault) but a radio monitoring that frequency that I am operating in will definitely help me to know where the aircraft is.

As mentioned above, do not broadcast. Also, unless you are familiar with air traffic communications, it might not be very useful even just to listen.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I use a bearcat sport cat to listen to both the Unicom and CTAF frequencies when flying n the Class E airspace of my local airport (yes, I have an authorization for those flights). Good to know when traffic is entering the pattern, etc.

Reactions: aermale
Richard thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have spent a great deal of time and money to understand air traffic communications and hope to put it to use. Thanks for the posts guys.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31