Hand launching or take off

Reaction score
Can you guys explain to me the best way to take off from hand? Where I live its windy alot. Thank you

You shouldn't have any problem launching from the ground. They operate very well in wind.

Get the aircraft up a little quicker in an open area. Altitude is your friend if you're worried about swaying into something.

I have hand caught, but never hand launched. I'm sure it isn't difficult, but when I was catching, it was from fear of the area below where we were landing, not because of wind. I'd be very careful when hand launching in a strong wind if you're already unsure. Any strong gust could catch something on your person and get dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry I wasn't more help as to how to functionally hand launch in strong winds, I just think it'll be tricky.

Sorry I wasn't more help as to how to functionally hand launch in strong winds, I just think it'll be tricky.

Do you auto take off in winds? I assume not. Manual take off would be best correct?

Can you guys explain to me the best way to take off from hand?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Do you auto take off in winds? I assume not. Manual take off would be best correct?
I prefer to take off and land manually almost all the time. Sometimes the landing area is too rough to land so I hand catch. When you take off in the wind you have to commit and not diddle around close to the ground, lift off quick, you don't have to floor it just be quick about it and get about 15 feet of the ground or at least several feet over your head. When you land in the wind the craft is a little tippy as she powers down because sometime the bird gives a little shot of power as you are powering down and that make it squirlly for a second. In my yard I land behind a shed or garage were the wind is calmer, it is easier to sneak in a calm hole than take off and get height. That's my 5 cents, and for how much wind, for me if the leaves on the trees are flipping over upside down I usually don't fly.

I hand take off and hand catch every time because I need to keep my lenses clean.

I have been flying on cliffs where the wind is very fast, at least 30-40 mile per hour and the P4 stays stable and I hand catch every time. I just make sure its in GPS stability mode. If I accidentally leave it in sport mode then it drifts, don't do that, its dangerous to take off or catch period in sport mode.

I can't see the P4 in a stable hover in winds of at least 40 MPH. That is well in excess of maximum flight speed in positioning mode so hard to appreciate how the flight controller may compensate for the influence of the wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers