Hand catching

Reaction score
Can someone explain what is the best technique for hand catching the drone in order to avoid landing on the ground? Thanks

I bring in about five feet away from me and about two feet above my head. I walk to it and grab I with my right hand at the back L or corner of the left leg and with left hand on controller I push the left joystick all the way down till the props shut all the way off and the it turn off the battery. Always keep your hands and cloths clear of the props. Don't do it if the drone is moving around to much due to wind use common sense

Reactions: John Locke
Also hold tight else it will flip over to other side when props stop turning.

hand catching is not a good idea.
one miss and you have a trip to the er.

I bring in about five feet away from me and about two feet above my head. I walk to it and grab I with my right hand at the back L or corner of the left leg and with left hand on controller I push the left joystick all the way down till the props shut all the way off and the it turn off the battery. Always keep your hands and cloths clear of the props. Don't do it if the drone is moving around to much due to wind use common sense
Good process! The only things I would add is to insure your fingers are OFF the sticks when walking over to grab the craft. I always watch the craft a few seconds in a hover on it's own to insure it's stable. And during that walk, don't take your eyes off the craft.

Reactions: Defishinsea
hand catching is not a good idea.
one miss and you have a trip to the er.
For some folks you are right. You cannot be timid or scared, you need to be confident and have a clear mind to follow a safe process. You need a step by step process to insure you're minimizing risk. If you follow a good process, it's pretty safe for the average guy.

Reactions: Defishinsea
I only hand catch if the terrain is not good or in high wind conditions. I enjoy to land my craft nice and smooth and with practice it is easy and gratifying. Hand catching all the time for me is like backing up your car and not using your mirrors and having to look back and some even open the car door to look back, learn to land as you have learned to use your mirrors, it's not that hard to do.

I agree with you on that. I only hand catch when landing has risk factors. I enjoy self landing my drone. And only used auto land once or twice

I'd say the most important thing is to catch by a vertical leg, close to the top, and never by the skids since it will rotate in your hand violently when the power comes off.

Use a neck strap for the controller. This is no time for butterfingers.

Other suggestions such as no loose clothing, following the same procedure every time and so on just make sense.

That said, I prefer bringing a sheet of plywood with me for it to land on. That's not an option for everyone, I know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj